Tesco instant noodles half the cals of Sainsburys. Can't be

Options
I noticed that Tesco instant noodles claim to be 260 cals per pack. I was expecting them to be 400 or so. I also have some Sainsburys brand and they are 452 cals per pack. They look identical and are the same weight. Surely the Tesco one can't be 260 cals?

Replies

• Deirdre_R
    Deirdre_R Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've phoned Tesco customer services and they insist its correct. The main difference that I can see is that Tesco list the calories for the product as made up - the full packet should make 265g of finished product. Sainsbury list the calories per 1/2 pack but don't say if that's dry or made up. I guess I'll be sticking to Tescos noodles in future but I don't entirely trust that calorie count.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sainsbury list the calories per 1/2 pack but don't say if that's dry or made up.
    Surely a half pack is a half pack whether dry or made up?

Serving size is a killer on a lot of pre-prepared food. I used to eat instant noodles a lot thinking they were a relatively low-calorie option. Not only is that not the case, they're also full of junk.
  • Deirdre_R
    Deirdre_R Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sainsbury list the calories per 1/2 pack but don't say if that's dry or made up.
    Surely a half pack is a half pack whether dry or made up?

Serving size is a killer on a lot of pre-prepared food. I used to eat instant noodles a lot thinking they were a relatively low-calorie option. Not only is that not the case, they're also full of junk.

yes I don't see that it would make any difference either. I know they're not the healthiest but they're cheap and quick and I'm on a very tight budget!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of them too - sometimes two packs at one sitting if I was really hungry. I know no-one who would eat half a packet...

I wouldn't trust the difference either...