When do you eat your calories?

Options
The real question is, does it matter how I spread them out during the day? I tend to eat a third during the day and the rest for dinner / evening snacks. Does it matter how i spread it? Is it better to get the bulk out of the way during the day and go lighter in the evenings? I usually eat dinner at least 3 hours before sleep but the sometimes snack in between.

So, how / when do you eat yours and what's the best way to spread it out?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I eat most of mine at night.

As far as "best method" the short answer is this: You should structure the timing of your nutrients/calories to personal preference and whatever gives you the best performance for workouts.
  • Rosbrook1985
    Rosbrook1985 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I hoped to hear! Thanks hun!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Ah, Sidesteal.

Dishing out truths since 2011! :D

Same for me, i skip breakfast, have a small 2-300 cal lunch, around a 900 cal dinner, and the rest in "snacks" after that.
  • skward04
    skward04 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat about 80% of my calories for bfast, lunch and mid afternoon snacks. My thinking (which may make sense only in my crazy head :]) is that I will be MORE likely to burn those cals off during the day, instead of at bedtime.

I also workout in the evenings, and usually have to force myself to eat after a workout. I have no appetite afterwords. So usuallly just a light snack about 2 hrs before bed for me. Plus, I dont have a stomach full of food all night.

I dont know if it matters SCIENTIFICALLY how cals are spread throughout the day. That's just what works for me :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. As long as you hit your macros and get your calorie intake for the day pertaining to your goals then you will be fine. I eat breakfast but it's because I have to eat alot on a bulk so I spread out my meals, but I don't have to.

I could eat 3500-4000 calories in one meal and it still wouldn't matter.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's When you eat, it's What you eat.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I try to frontload my heavier calorie meals in the morning/early day, and then eat less calorie dense mini-meals throughout the end of the day.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's When you eat, it's What you eat.

It's actually how much you eat.
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I do better when I eat 4 small meals a day...you have to figure out what works best for you...it is a learing process. Last night, I actually forced myself to eat a snack after my workout, because I didn't have anough protein in my day. I stayed within my calorie allowance, but I did eat some of my excersice calories back. Bottom line, trial and error.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I try to frontload my heavier calorie meals in the morning/early day, and then eat less calorie dense mini-meals throughout the end of the day.

curious as to the logic behind front loading your cals?
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    The real question is, does it matter how I spread them out during the day? I tend to eat a third during the day and the rest for dinner / evening snacks. Does it matter how i spread it? Is it better to get the bulk out of the way during the day and go lighter in the evenings? I usually eat dinner at least 3 hours before sleep but the sometimes snack in between.

I do this exactly.

I understand the concept of 5-6 small meals a day keeping your metabolism going, but when i try to do that I always end up going over on my total at the end of the day. So, I don't force myself to eat in the morning. I have an adequate lunch and I let myself enjoy a substantial dinner (and dessert).

Some people advocate eating every 2 hours, "so your body know when to expect food" but I sort of think that whenever you are in the habit of eating your body will figure it out and "know when to expect food".
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Between 5pm and bedtime (9-11pm).
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

curious as to the logic behind front loading your cals?

Two reasons - first, its the way a lot of the world tends to eat outside the US, and in general they all tend to be much healthier than us (for instance the "dinner meal" in the US is usually around lunchtime elsewhere). Not that correlation equals causation, but hey its worked so far.

Secondly, you're more active during the day time, and theoretically, less and less active as the day draws to a close. So it would seem to make sense that you should take in more calories when you're more active, and gradually take in less as you become less active. Not that eating before bed is a bad thing or anything like that, it just seems to me that you should give yourself more fuel when you'd use more fuel :) Hope that makes sense!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Mine's something like:

1 meal (~300 calories) and 1 small snack (~100 calories) in the morning
    1 meal (~300 calories) and 1 large snack (~200 calories) in the afternoon
    1 meal or a couple snacks in the evening (~300 calories)

I have a voracious appetite that peaks in the late morning but tapers off at night, and I also have more time to eat during the day, so that's when I consume most of my calories.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    As far as "best method" the short answer is this: You should structure the timing of your nutrients/calories to personal preference and whatever gives you the best performance for workouts.

+1
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    After my workout in the evening :)
  • Rosbrook1985
    Rosbrook1985 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    WOWS! Thanks for all the replies!!

So glad for the reasoning given. For me it's nothing other than the fact that I like to go to bed not being remotely hungry and love sitting down to a 'big' dinner with the husband in the evening to take our time over together without distractions, so it's like a bit of quality time for us. Only problem is that now the dinners have lots of salad and raw veg they are taking me even longer to eat :D Plus, i like having the main meal to look forward to in the evenings.
  • Lindseysund8
    Options
    I TRY to eat the cals earlier in the day so i'm more likely to get them burned off. I have also noticed more recently that I lose less weight if i'm eating late dinners for a few nights in a row. I think it also depends on when you workout. For example, I workout usually in the evenings or late afternoon so i kinda psych myself out and try not to binge at night and undo my hardwork (as i don't eat back exercise cals. to each his own) However, I do not deprive myself! If im hungry, I eat! but if its getting late, I try to make smarter choices like a 100 cal popcorn bag etc. Best of luck!
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have always heard to Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince, and dinner as a Pauper. Though I don't exactly follow this because I'm not hungry early in the morning and in the afternoon. So most of my cals are from dinner. This is because if you eat earlier, you have more to burn throughout the day, and you don't eat so much when you're during your "winding down" time of day. (At least, that's what 5-7pm is to me) and then in the next 4-5 hours going to bed.
  • geri1955
    geri1955 Posts: 106
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry!!! If I dont feel like having a big lunch I make up for it at supper or after supper snacks! Its been working well for me anyways!!!! :bigsmile: