Question about Strongbow

Options
Okay, so a bottle of the stuff (in the US, at least) is 140 calories for 12 oz. Why, then, does MFP list Strongbow draught listed as 239 calories? Should it be closer to 185 calories for a standard 16 oz pint? I'm wondering if Strongbow is higher in calories in the UK or if pint sizes (like imperial pints vs a 16 oz bar pint) might play into this. I'm planning ahead for tonight and want to have 2 Strongbows, but there's a huge difference between 185 and 239 calories per unit.

Thanks, guys!

Replies

• stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    Draft, sounds like a pint, not 12oz. just a guess mind you.
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    An English pint is 20oz, US is 16oz. Does that help you? took me ages to figure out why my "pint" glasses in the States seemed smaller than I was used to!
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The UK Pint is 20oz - therefore more calories? and there's apparently even a difference in the US oz and the UK oz.... but 239 sounds about right to me, that's roughly what my bottle of Koppaberg had (talking UK here ^^) oh and iff I think bottle, the bottle is much smaller than the UK pint, at least here in the UK... if that makes any sense?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Our Canadian pint is the same as the UK, but I admit the British have the best beer in the world.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Our Canadian pint is the same as the UK, but I admit the British have the best beer in the world.

This is a Lie and as a German born I have to strongly oppose ^^!!!! *ducks and hides*
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you!!! I didn't realize it was 20 oz in the UK, but I had a feeling it was something like that. Makes much more sense :)
  • Erdfisch
    Erdfisch Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ooh, thanks a lot for the clarification, this is news to me too :D

I always thought a pint was less than half a litre, and was pleasantly surprised by the sizes of beerglasses in the UK. Not so convinced about the taste though, as I happily agree with CouchSpud, being Austrian of origin and used to a completely different kind of beer. :) I won't complain though, as drinking less beer definitely helped starting my weightloss.

I have to add though, US and UK unit systems keep confusing me. At least in the metric system, a metre is a metre all around the world, and a litre is a litre. Try that with miles, and as seen here, with pints of beer ;)
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The UK pint is ~568 ml. It's 20 UK oz but ~19 US oz
    The US pint is ~473 ml. It's 16 US oz but ~17 UK oz
    The difference between the two pints is ~20%

The UK pint isn't used much anymore for bottles and cans.