Feeling very depressed

Options
I was on this site (under a different user name) before my wedding a few months back and once the wedding was over and done with, I kept making excuses for why I didn't need to continue with my diet and exercise plan. Some of the excuses I came up with include:

I'm just a curvy girl
My husband loves me just the way I am
I can always buy bigger jeans (that movie Eat, Pray, Love poisoned my mind... damn you Julia Roberts!)
I'm not THAT heavy

After awhile. these excuses where no longer making me feel better about myself. It's like all of that self loathing was just building up inside me. Well, like a volcano, It has finally errupted.

I feel like such a fat blob, it's not even funny, My double chin, the muffin top, the flabby, cottage cheese thighs all are staring at me everytime I look in the mirror.

I know that this process is going to be tough, and I am going to have days when I feel down, but today seems so long and knowing that I royally scewed up my calorie goal today has me THISCLOSE to dusting off my book of excuses again.

Replies

• krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's okay, we all have our off days. Just promise yourself you'll do better the next day, and eventually it'll come easy to you! Don't get so down on yourself, as long as you try, small goals are what will get you there!
  • Silverhillbilly
    Options
    Hey - totally understand where you are coming from! I'm currently wearing 1/5 my wardrobe because the rest of it does not fit me. I hate looking into the mirror and seeing this big old belly that I used to make quick judgements on others years ago.

The one thing that I have found to be the most important thing with dieting is "one day at a time". I stick to my diet 6 days a week and one day on the weekend is mine to eat as I want. I'm not saying a 6000 calorie day (which I can do VERY easily), but if I want that slice of pizza so be it. There are two good reasons to do that (1) You don't mind dieting the other 6 days because you know you will have a day to treat yourself (2) Your metabolism doesn't go into starvation mode which it will if you stay at low calories for a long time.

Another trick is if I eat 6 servings of fruits or vegetables - its hard to eat much else.
    Good luck and keep your head up!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Ways to respond to your own excuses:

I'm just a curvy girl - But I want to be a healthy girl.

My husband loves me just the way I am . - But I don't love me just the way I am.

I can always buy bigger jeans - But I don't like how I look and feel in them.

I'm not THAT heavy. - But I am THIS heavy, and it's stopping me from doing the things I want to do.

So you screwed up. Big deal. You know it's not going to be easy, but staying angry at yourself doesn't make the weight drop off quicker. Gain some control over today, go for a walk, clean a room, make wise food choices and log them. Start over tomorrow. You can do that. Good luck.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I was on this site (under a different user name) before my wedding a few months back and once the wedding was over and done with, I kept making excuses for why I didn't need to continue with my diet and exercise plan. Some of the excuses I came up with include:

I'm just a curvy girl
    My husband loves me just the way I am
    I can always buy bigger jeans (that movie Eat, Pray, Love poisoned my mind... damn you Julia Roberts!)
    I'm not THAT heavy

After awhile. these excuses where no longer making me feel better about myself. It's like all of that self loathing was just building up inside me. Well, like a volcano, It has finally errupted.

I feel like such a fat blob, it's not even funny, My double chin, the muffin top, the flabby, cottage cheese thighs all are staring at me everytime I look in the mirror.

I know that this process is going to be tough, and I am going to have days when I feel down, but today seems so long and knowing that I royally scewed up my calorie goal today has me THISCLOSE to dusting off my book of excuses again.

Girl, it must be today then cause I feel the SAME way! Ugh! It's so much easier to be a "fat girl", but it's also feels so much worse so it's actually NOT "easier". I try to remember that NOTHING tastes as good and being fit FEELS. Don't give up. Set small goals, and the motivation comes from achieving those! You can do it! We both can! Just hang in there. (((HUGS))))
  • kme2011
    kme2011 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i used to feel that way too. and finally i had to tell myself that I was the only one who could make me change. You CAN do this! There are days I don't have the motivation to do anything and then i get on here and see these ppl making the changes in their lives and think to myself you're going right back to the way you were before. so i get up and make myself work out or choose a better snack because if i don't i'll feel bad for it later. i've lost 4 lbs so far and i've only been on it for about a month. I'm positive that this will help me reach my goal and i'm going to push myself to make it even if it takes me longer than i want it too. I know it won't happen overnight and thats ok. slow weightloss means it stays off longer. If you need some positive motivation, feel free to add me as a friend. This is just a hurdle that i know you can jump. I'm sure my husband would love me anyway i looked but i wanna feel good about me (and look good in those cute little nighty things). lol I want to be the best ME i can be. I'll help you if you need it. Good luck!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of goofy in the respect that I use quotes and songs to associate different people and parts of my life... It's just what I do. I have a list of motivational sayings and quotes that I look to whenever I feel the way that you have just described. Maybe these couple will help you.

Success is not a race, be patient.
    Success leads to success.
    Success is always a work in progress.
    Success doesn't come to you--you go to it.
    Success is a journey, not a destination. Focus on the process.
    Some people dream about success... while others wake up and work hard at it.
    Success is achieved and maintained by those who try-and keep trying.
    Everyday is a good day to SUCCEED!
    If at first you don't succeed-try, try again

Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future. ~ Deepak Chopra ~

Discouragement

"If you've invested enough effort and energy to get discouraged, you're well on your way to success. Discouragement is a certain weigh station on the road to any worthwhile achievement.
    If you know and care enough to be discouraged, you've made considerable progress. Learn what the discouragement has to teach you and then continue moving forward. It may seem as though you'll never make it, but in reality you're already there. Discouragement tempers and hardens you; it does not stop you.
    Reflect on your discouragement and you'll discover that it is a result of your commitment. You've already invested your time, your effort, your life. Soon, you'll reap the full reward of that investment. Let discouragement spur you on.
    Motivation is born of desire. The stronger the desire for something, the stronger the motivation.
    Endeaver to keep the promises we make to ourselves... We deserve to be treated with the same love and respect that we would give to others....." (By CW on bootcamp buddies)

Good luck to you!!!!
  • jenn_is_trouble
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation all!
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options

My husband loves me just the way I am . - But I don't love me just the way I am.

I'm not THAT heavy. - But I am THIS heavy, and it's stopping me from doing the things I want to do.

So you screwed up. Big deal. You know it's not going to be easy, but staying angry at yourself doesn't make the weight drop off quicker. Gain some control over today, go for a walk, clean a room, make wise food choices and log them. Start over tomorrow. You can do that. Good luck.

THIS ^^^^^^
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options

^ Majorly ditto this. Great response.