Plateau

Options
I have been able to lose 31 lbs, by just diet alone and a little exercise here and there. I am starting to hit the tough spot, PLATEAU. What's some advise to overcome this small step and continue my weight loss?

5469939.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Thanks I will check them out today.
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Plateaus suck. I hear you!! I was at a plateau for 8 weeks and finally lost some this week. The links the other responder sent you will help.
  • Lokisul
    Options
    You should be proud you got to 31lb lost before your first plateu!!

I got stuck for two weeks once, and found by going over my calorie goal by 500 for two days, and switching from Cardio to Weights, caused me to drop 2lb straight away and now I am back on a steady weight loss again
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You should be proud you got to 31lb lost before your first plateu!!

I got stuck for two weeks once, and found by going over my calorie goal by 500 for two days, and switching from Cardio to Weights, caused me to drop 2lb straight away and now I am back on a steady weight loss again

Thanks! I will try adding more calories and drinking more water.
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    First... Congrats on your 31lb loss!

Second... I would add weight training. You can start off light & it will rev up your metabolism.
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is from another member today to try when in plateau: "I know it seems counter intuitive, but a trainer once told me that when you really plateau, taking a week or two off dieting and doing maintenance can help your body adjust to the loss you've already had. After a little break on maintenance mode, your body can recognize your current weight as the norm, instead of as a starvation weight it has to fight to keep. It's frustrating to wait longer, but this can really make your efforts effective again if you're really stuck. Do it like this: Just change your weight loss goals to "maintain" instead of losing .5, 1, or 2 lbs a week. The calories will automatically bump up to what your CURRENT weight is, because that's what you want your body to adjust to. Then, after a week or two, move the weight loss goal back down to what you want."

I can hardly wait for my plateau to try this out! Hope it helps :-)
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Most important thing is not to let yourself become discouraged. Changing your exercise routine up for a couple of weeks may help kick your body out of the plateau. I've found giving myself a "cheat day" every week always kicks me into gear too. There are a lot of forums you can look at on here as well as google to help with other ideas. GOOD LUCK!!