Venison??

Options
dargytaylor
dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
I have some leftover venison roast that i am going to attempt making a hash out of. Anybody have any suggestions? Never made it before!

Replies

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bumping for suggestions - Venison, the preferred meat in my home!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Do it just like you would if you were making it with beef. Just tweak the seasonings to make it taste however you want it. Hash is one of those things you can't screw up.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    that is what i thought, just wanted to make sure :)

thanks!
  • ParisPenguin
    ParisPenguin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love venison...I always eat as much as I can! Cook one slice of bacon in the pan then take it out. Leave the fat in and cook the venison in that - adds a huge dimension of taste to venison. This one looks good (food network) and like a recipe in my venison cookbook but I couldn't remember the measurements!

2 tablespoons bacon drippings
    1 large onion , chopped
    3 cups ground venison , browned
    2 medium potatoes , cut in 16 pcs
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 garlic clove , minced
    3 cups beef broth
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 tablespoon chili powder

Brown onion and potatoes in bacon fat. Add flour and make a roux:, add venison, broth and spices. Let simmer until tender.

Other venison suggestion: any time you have a roast or ground that you cook separately, rinse the meat in hot water and dump off the water. Taking the tallow out you get a much cleaner flavor!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have a hunting group, you could ask people there if you want! I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/850-hunting

I usually just make a sandwich the next day!
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love venison...I always eat as much as I can! Cook one slice of bacon in the pan then take it out. Leave the fat in and cook the venison in that - adds a huge dimension of taste to venison. This one looks good (food network) and like a recipe in my venison cookbook but I couldn't remember the measurements!

2 tablespoons bacon drippings
    1 large onion , chopped
    3 cups ground venison , browned
    2 medium potatoes , cut in 16 pcs
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 garlic clove , minced
    3 cups beef broth
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 tablespoon chili powder

Brown onion and potatoes in bacon fat. Add flour and make a roux:, add venison, broth and spices. Let simmer until tender.

Other venison suggestion: any time you have a roast or ground that you cook separately, rinse the meat in hot water and dump off the water. Taking the tallow out you get a much cleaner flavor!

Mmmm... This sounds so good right now.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    bump for that delicious recipe