Needs serious motivation!

Options
Today i am starting this. I have 'started' a diet many times before but ALWAYS fall off ! ugh! I am going to Miami in May for my college grad gift to myself but i need to feel comfortable in my bathing suit so that im not worrying the whole time!! How do other people stay motivated??? I am the person who eats alot at night time! around 7:00pm hits and i just EATTT! Any suggestions anyone has i would love to hear.

Sincerley,
UNMOTIVATED.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    dont eat alot
  • yogaheart18
    Options
    Found this new blog. I am going to follow it---sounds pretty cool.

http://weightloss-genie.blogspot.com/
  • tapas71
    tapas71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I found a lot of helpful tips about night time snacking (ya, if only it was snacking!) using the search tool. Just type in night time eating.

You can do it!
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to eat in general, but my stomach starts growing between 7-8 PM. I make myself get up and
    exercise at that time most nights. If not, I make sure to have a crunchy snack, that takes a while to
    eat, on hand. Animal Crackers are a favorite of mine because you can have 16 of them for only 120
    calories and they are crunchy. They are also pretty dry so that makes me have to drink more water.
    Drinking lots of water will also help with you hunger. Good luck
  • SamBuck123
    Options
    Thanks guys! Ill deff try all of those things.
  • byou412
    Options
    Try healthy snacks, I like frozen grapes. I try to eat them slowly and only one at a time so I can get past the "I JUST WANT TO EAT ANYTHING I CAN GET MY HANDS ON" feeling.
  • scottberrydsm
    scottberrydsm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For me the motivation/encouragement/accountability of MFP friends is the key. Also, open your diary to be viewed by anyone - you will get some valuable coaching, encouragement, and feedback!
  • dsrszs
    dsrszs Posts: 14
    Options
    Do not think of it as starting a "diet".
    Think of it as a learning process of eating healthier.
    If you must eat late at night, eat an apple, popcorn, sliced carrots, etc.
    My daughter eats no carbs after 3:00 p.m.
    I have not mastered that, but I try to limit late night snacking to something healthy and less than 100 calories.
    My mom has a glass of V-8 when the late night urge to snack hits.
    My favorite late night snack is normally an apple, or 1-2 tablespoons of roasted pistachios if I need protein.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal, I have been where you are numerous times. When I'm "unmotivated" I fail. You have to be "all-in" and ready to make this life long commitment. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Get motivated, remind yourself over and over again WHY you need to do this. Be honest with yourself and know what you want. It's ok to be vain. If you want to look hot in a bikini, that is a great motivating factor. The truth is you can look exactly how you want to look, there isn't any limits. It just takes time and patience.

This site is great for tracking and motivation, everyone here has been through or is going through it. I am proof that you can do it, I've lost over 100lbs, and went from the "fat kid" growing up to a fitness model physique. lso I wasn't just fat, I was technically morbidly obese. So if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Also, learn to enjoy this journey. You will learn so much about yourself and you have an opportunity to mold your personality and character along with your body. Loosing weight and making this change is one of the greatest feelings in the world. It's one of the few amazing accomplishments that you have 100% control over.

Good luck and get motivated!
  • Mommy2boys1girl
    Mommy2boys1girl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    dont eat alot

Well aren't you helpful!
  • LisaWixom
    LisaWixom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am a MAJOR snacker. All day lol. And my excuse for falling off the wagon is always lack of food in the house. So I went to the store and spent more than I had to buy lots of low calorie snacks. you can google low cal snacks and get some great ideas. Baby carrots, Pickles are only 5cals! Skinny cow has 100cal ice cream sandwhiches. I pre-package everything into snack bags so I can just grab one when I am feeling munchie. Then when I feel like snacking and I am at my cal limit, I add in 20 minutes of aerobics, jump rope, jog in place, do an aerobic video, anything to burn some calorie's lol. Half the time I am not hungry anymore and if I still am then I have more calories for a snack!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    dont eat alot

Well aren't you helpful!

why thank you...thank you very much:wink:
  • SamBuck123
    Options
    lol i wasnt gunna say anything butttt....hahha but yes i do eat to much, but i was looking for moreof motivation and what peopel ahev done :)
  • redterpmd
    redterpmd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, eating at night being the biggest problem for me. Second biggest is motivation, as you also mentioned. I did the same thing a few years ago though, lost weight to look good for a trip to Miami. I did it carefully though and kept the weight off for years. My biggest piece of advice is consistency, consistency, consistency. Every day you make little choices to eat just a little better and exercise just a little more. You will get there. Congrats graduate, Enjoy your trip!
  • SamBuck123
    Options
    Very helpful! Thank you and congrats on your weight loss thats amazing.
  • bornforthis1
    bornforthis1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be, what exactly are you doing at 7pm? What's your routine? If your just snack because your bored or watching TV, maybe it's time to change that habit.
    Or! it could be this... you eat very little or unsatisfying meals during the day and by the time you get home, you are ravenous. I have done that.. Do you eat breakfast? That could be a cause too.
    As far as motivation, I can relate. I lack motivation most of the time, so even though you want something, you don't have the energy to do it. That's exactly the point where you have to force yourself to get up and do something. Exercise
    It's a good thing to be apart of this community. Make some friends that will encourage and support you with your goals, and keep an eye on them as well. You will be inspired by your MFP friends as they work for their goals and shed off the pounds.
    Really track and evaluate your habits and you will see where you can make changes. Sometimes when I feel a snack coming on, I have a bowl of cut up veggies (cerely, carrots, red/green peppers) that I pull out. Doing simple switch ups like that can help with weight loss and satisfaction.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It is OK to eat at night,

If you wanted to have 200 calories all day long and then eat 1,300 in the evening it would be exactly the same as eating 1,300 calories during the day and 200 at night,
    So if you prefer to eat at night, then do it. We kind of run in 24 hours cycles and our metabolism runs 24 hours a day so there is not a negative impact of eating more late.

I personally eat about 75% of my daily calories in the evening.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I hear you!!!! 7:00 is the time I like to eat as well. I have learned to have popcorn and animal crackers handy. Both have a little crunch and seem to satisfy my needs. As far as staying motivated, you have come to the right place. There are SO MANY people on MFP that want the same thing that you do. They encourage all the time, and pick you up when you are down and out. I have started journaling again to try and help with my motivation. Also, I am working out every morning and making sure that I have ME time. Good luck and welcome aboard!!! Donna Flanders
  • trinabugs24
    Options
    Great post! I agree, this is not just for your FL trip so that you look good for one week on the beach, you want to look good the rest of your life. Clean out your kitchen (and any hiding spots) of all negative foods that are going to hurt you. Make sure to get plenty of fiber throughtout the day so that the 7pm hunger does not take over. Also make sure you are serious about your water intake throughout the day.

I have also found that when I start talking about changing my life style habits that are helping me lose the weight, it helps me even more. I become a sort of advocate for living a healthly lifestyle and that motivates me and hopefully motivates others!