Newly Vegetarian

Options

Replies

• comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh and also if you are interested in eating tofu often I HIGHLY recommend getting a tofu press (I got mine on Amazon from Tofu Xpress). I didn't like cooking with it much before, but ever since I got a tofu press its WONDERFUL! I put the tofu in the press in the morning to squeeze out excess liquid and then marinate it with desired sauce and then bake it in the oven til it gets crispy and chewy. Its awesome!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Don't fall into the protein trap! You can get easily get protein on a vegetarian diet. You have been given some great advice on protein sources. Just remember - all food has protein, you just want to get in a variety and make sure you add some stuff daily that has a lot of protein - like legumes, quinoa is good, too. Lentils are great and easy to cook. Also, you don't have to eat complete proteins, if you eat a variety of foods, you are getting the amino acids you need. I personally disagree with relying on the faux meat stuff, though. That's okay for a treat, but it's better to eat less processed stuff. However, it's makes being vegetarian easier for some people. I am also not against soy at all, but I do avoid the overly processed stuff - like the faux meats - most of the time. Try tempeh, it's really good and it's fermented soy.
  • pph79
    pph79 Posts: 78
    Options
    My biggest concern is protein.

Don't worry so much over this. It's a huge myth that we need copious amounts of protein in our diets.
    Protein is actually found in all kinds of things, including vegetables. Nuts are also a good source.
  • Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    What's Marmite?
  • KaylaTie
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for over 5 years now. After I started keeping track of my food I realized I get MUCH more protein then most of my meat eating friends. If you eat the right foods (nuts, almond milk, fake meats) you will smash your protein. I also love protein shakes when I feel like I don't hit a protein goal. If you need any food ideas or recipe FR me, I'd love to help!
  • KaylaTie
    Options
    Hi there!
    I've been a vegetarian for 3 months, so I'm quite new at this. At first I was lacking on protein, but it's a learning process. Nuts, beans, eggs (specially egg whites), greek yogurt and cottage cheese are my favorite. Haven't tried protein powder yet, but I might do it soon. I also wanna "experiment" a bit with tofu, but I've been lazy haha.

There are some vegetarian groups here that might help as well.

eatingwell.com and skinnytaste.com have really nice vegetarian recipes you may wanna look at.

Hope that helps!
    Hopefully you know that eggs with the yolk has more protein
    eggs (specially egg whites),

YES! Hard boiled eggs in the morning are the BEST OPTION for protein!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 14 years, and 98% vegan ( i have bad days now and again). I go over on protein almost every day. feel free to add me as a friend.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I've been a vegetarian for 3 months, so I'm quite new at this. At first I was lacking on protein, but it's a learning process. Nuts, beans, eggs (specially egg whites), greek yogurt and cottage cheese are my favorite. Haven't tried protein powder yet, but I might do it soon. I also wanna "experiment" a bit with tofu, but I've been lazy haha.

eatingwell.com and skinnytaste.com have really nice vegetarian recipes you may wanna look at.

Hope that helps!

I think my quinoa porridge beats it!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Hope that helps!

I think my quinoa porridge beats it!

Calorie for calorie the egg is better on a nutritional level for most elements, especially the B vit's. Saying that, nothing wrong with having both.
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm newly vegan and trust me you won't need to worry about protein if you're eating a healthy well balanced veggie diet..beans, whole grains, quinoa, tofu, nuts, vegan meatballs, vegan burgers, etc all provide plenty of protein. It really is a myth that you won't get all your protein. Feel free to friend me :)
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My biggest concern is protein.

Don't worry so much over this. It's a huge myth that we need copious amounts of protein in our diets.
    Protein is actually found in all kinds of things, including vegetables. Nuts are also a good source.

This.

And as long as you get enough calories every day, it's virtually impossible to become protein deficient with a Vegetarian diet.
  • sqvash
    sqvash Posts: 17
    Options
    Welcome to the life style, all you new vegetarians! :smile: I've been vegetarian for over 7 years now and I LOVE it. It's really a great choice and it's not hard at all. I've never had any deficiency issues. I'm not vegan, but I go very light on dairy and eggs. I use some vegan substitutes in my cooking (such as Earth Balance instead of butter).

I love to have vegetarian friends, and especially love to help aspiring vegetarians. Feel free to friend me!

Also, I know a lot of people are scared to make the switch because they just don't know what they'll cook for dinner if they can't start with meat as a base. I adapt a lot of traditional recipes such as tacos, chili, shepards pie, etc and use meat replacers. (I do this mostly for my hubby who is a meat eater but doesn't mind the fake stuff). Butternut squash is also a good main course, I usually just bake it but you can do just about anything with it. Google will be your new best friend for a while with recipes.

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this but there are a few things to be on the look out for:
    -Chicken stock. It's sneaky. It's not just in soups, but that's the main place to find it.
    -Gelatin (if you don't know what it's made of, look it up. It's gross) Often in candies.
    -Lard (some pre-made biscuits and pie crusts. Most refried beans. Buy fat-free. Taco bell's are safe)

READ YOUR LABELS! You may not think these little things are a big deal, however the lard and stocks can make you sick if you eat them after a while. Scientifically speaking, the enzyme produced to break down meat is not a primary enzyme. Meaning, if you don't need it, you won't make it. So after you have gone a while without meat (several weeks to months usually) your body will stop producing the unnecessary enzyme. So after that time if you eat something with "sneaky meat" in it, your body won't be able to digest it and you'll have an upset stomach. It's the same reaction as a lactose intolerant person drinking milk.
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    bump

i've been considering this alot lately

mostly for ethical reasons.....in fact i have been researching veganism....and i think i want to go for it
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This is relevant to my interests... 3 weeks into veg here...
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would try and stay away from meat substitutes although at times it can be hard. There are a ton of legumes, vegetables, and even grains like quinoa that have a sufficient amount of protein. I personally enjoy eggs, beans (many varieties), leafy greens like kale also have protein, and all sorts of nuts.

The reason I became a vegetarian was to be healthier. So, if and when I buy processed items I look for the ones with the least ingredients and words I can pronounce and actually know what they are. Read labels so many times I've gone to buy a can of vegetable soup and found that it has beef stock or baked lays BBQ chips use chicken stock.

And just so you know RIGHT NOW I'm not 100% vegetarian, I do eat fish still about twice a week. Apart from that I eat vegetarian and try to stay mostly vegan. In the past I have even been a raw vegan. If you have any other questions you can message me :flowerforyou:
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump, to save for later. Thanks for the great resources, as I'm also thinking of a veg/pescatarian diet (I love sushi!).
  • dacia1978
    dacia1978 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is protein in any whole food you eat; fruits, vegetable, grains, beans, nuts, seeds, legumes, as well as what is found in dairy and meat. I am a vegan and I have never had any problems getting in enough protein. Most people are eating too much protein. Unless you are an endurance athlete this is how much you need daily (your current weight/2.2) x 0.8. For me that is 64g. There are so many misconceptions and so much misinformation out there as far as protein goes you may want to do research. Protein deficiency is rare in the U.S. (zero adults diadgnosed with it) and yet excess protein consumption can lead to kidney stones and osteoperosis. Our body cannot store protein long term the way it does with carbs and fat. Too much can definitely do damage. Sorry to babble- this topic frustrates me. You will be fine.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your choice! I wish I could do the same but I just cannot let go of seafood in my diet!

About the protein I think some good shakes can supplement your numbers if your unable to find something vegetarian at the time.

Me either, so I'm going pescetarian (only fish and seafood, no other meat, though I do eat eggs and dairy)...many people use this a step toward a vegetarian or vegan lifestyles... check out pescetarianlife.com/ It has lots of great info. Most of my meals have no meat at all. I started Ash Wednesday and in the last 23 meals I've eaten, 20 were completely meatless. I'm just 7 days into it, but so far I am happy and satisfied.

As for the the OP question...I also suggest beans (all kinds), legumes, lentils and protein rich grains!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm old, and like paper cookbooks (and have a few favorites to recommend):

The Vegetarian Times cookbook (their website is also great, but I've had more home run recipes from the book)
    Laurel's Kitchen (it's an OLDIE, but a great read about nutrient balancing)

The Moosewood Cookbooks

The Joy of Vegetarian Cooking

Also: the Best of Cooking Light books frequently have meatless sections, have easily modified recipes, and are pretty darned good. I use these for breads/baked goods/vegetable sides for the most part, though have modified their chicken parm recipe to be a zucchini and eggplant parm)
  • MamaSonyaP
    MamaSonyaP Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm back to being veggi (Pesco-Lacto-Ovo); which simply means that I eat fish (pesco), I eat/drink milk products (lacto) and eat eggs (ovo). My choice was because my family has many health problems with heart & stroke, cancers, diabetes and cholesterol issues. Great combo!
    I've never had an issue with the protein either, it's just the iron that I find I have to sometimes supplement. The MFP vegan friend, dacialee33 has got it right; most of us are eating too much protein to begin with. A healthy balance (THANK YOU MFP for tracking this for me!) is key. I have always felt more 'clear' while eating this way, not sluggish or weighted down. I've started back at it for 2 weeks, and already starting to feel, and see, the benefits. Enjoy eating healthier, everyone!