Let's do this ;)

Options
Hello there. I am 5'6 and 165lbs. Joined back in April but never applied myself. Now I am determined to do what I need to do and am taking small steps to make sure I don't overdo it and stop, as I have been in the cycle of over the past year. I started 2011 determined to lose 30lbs and look good on the beach.... when that didn't happen, I was determined to look good for the Christmas party this year. Well, that's next Saturday, and the only thing I can say about my weight loss is "Consistent" ... as in, I have gone between 162 and 171 constantly over the past year with no foothold!

Now, I am trying to eat 1400 cals a day and get in 30 minutes of walking/jogging at night. I am doing intervals around the neighborhood where I walk to warm up, then jog, then walk to catch my breath, then jog again to increase my stamina. Not really going for speed right now. I've only been doing it since last Monday, but already I notice I can jog for longer periods of time than when I started.

Weekends are bad for me. I notice that I'll have a great week of eating well at work, still get in a good dinner (which is usually the heaviest meal :/ ) and lose 2-3 lbs during the week (I weigh myself daily), but then after the weekend, lots of that progress is smashed. I have made a deal with the BF not to get lazy and order Pizza on the weekends anymore. It's my weakness, but that's OK because it's definitely something I can control with a little planning.

SO... now that I feel I am more dedicated to the cause, I greatly look forward to reaching my first goal, which is 160.... 159, actually, because I am so sick of seeing 160 on the scale!!! I know that your body weight can vary greatly. I do weigh myself in the morning. I am trying to log everything, even the 1-2 beers I like to have at night :P Miller Genuine Draft, only 63 calories, or Budweiser 55, only, well, 55 calories... old habits die hard I guess.

So, with my continued 30 mins of exercise and eating healthy, I will hopefully be seeing 159 on my scale by the start of the new year. I try to get extra exercise on the weekends with a bike ride, so hopefully that will negate the weekend slump I'm experiencing.

I just wanted to know if you had any tips, advice, or maybe even a little motivation for me. I'm sure you've been here... I started MFP at 165 and HAVE YET to see my little counter say anything other than 0lbs lost :/ due to gaining/losing from 170-165 constantly. ...So when they finally happens, .... :) I will smile.

Until then... keep jogging a little further every day? Eating well? Trying not to eat dinner so late at night? lol

Replies

• mjvanommeren
    mjvanommeren Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's a journey - you've taken the first step! Welcome aboard.

I'm with you on pizza. I've been able to avoid that one using one of two things:
    * Smart One's Mini-Pizzas. They're roughly 300 calories for four mini pizzas and sometimes satisfy the craving.
    * Home Made Pepperoni Pita Pizza. Buy some whole-wheat pitas (approx 100 cal ea), put a table spoon or two of pizza sauce on it (season with Italian seasoning), add a serving of Turkey Pepperoni, 1/4 cup low fat mozzerella cheese... bake for 8-10 minutes at 425 and you got some pretty good pizza craving eliminator. :-)

The Pita Pizza is between 250-300 calories depending on the cheese and pepperoni you use. I find it really helps kill that craving and since it's easy to make.. it's faster than delivery.

Again, glad you're on board! Look forward to hearing about your successes!
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Oh I like the pizza pita idea! yum!
  • kissoffools
    Options
    That pita pizza sounds delicious!
  • herna276
    Options
    I was just like you I got advice from someone like 6 months ago and I believe it work for me. It was a trainer she said the reason we dont see results in loosing weigh is because a lot has to do with what you eat and how you eat. The advice she gave me was eat 1200 calories and divided into five or six meals eat a meal every two to three hours to speed up your metabolism and this work for me. Also working out with light weigths as cardio will also help you. A good web site is bodybuilding.com you can look for Jamie easons 12week program really hepled and is free. I just started a month ago and ive seen major results.
  • mlaufit
    Options
    Your motivations sound reasonable and do-able.

Have you tried eating small "meals" through the day rather than the typical 3 (the dinner meal sounds like a big one!). Folks with diabetes, pregnancy and weight issues handle food intake in smaller portions throughout the day rather than in larger doses. Makes sense to feed the body as it needs the food rather than overdosing ...ahem...especially at night when the body is about to go into sleep mode it doesn't need a whole lot of food. So I'd suggest trying this tact - you'll find you have less hunger at "meal times," more consistent energy through the day, and probably better weight loss in the morning.

Also try to be active after eating rather than sedentary. From what I've read, the food will get used more immediately by the muscles rather than sitting and turning to sugar and fat. So a walk after that pizza with the BF would do both of you some good.

The small "meals" can be small portions of something healthy and baggable so they can be packed/carried with you. Natural snacks best along with water (not soda or juice which are mostly sugar and empty calories) - carrots, sliced bell peppers, triscuits, whole wheat bread slice, banana (fantastically filling, portable and nutritious!), apples, raisins, even peanut butter on rice crackers...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Your motivations sound reasonable and do-able.

Have you tried eating small "meals" through the day rather than the typical 3 (the dinner meal sounds like a big one!). Folks with diabetes, pregnancy and weight issues handle food intake in smaller portions throughout the day rather than in larger doses. Makes sense to feed the body as it needs the food rather than overdosing ...ahem...especially at night when the body is about to go into sleep mode it doesn't need a whole lot of food. So I'd suggest trying this tact - you'll find you have less hunger at "meal times," more consistent energy through the day, and probably better weight loss in the morning.

Also try to be active after eating rather than sedentary. From what I've read, the food will get used more immediately by the muscles rather than sitting and turning to sugar and fat. So a walk after that pizza with the BF would do both of you some good.

The small "meals" can be small portions of something healthy and baggable so they can be packed/carried with you. Natural snacks best along with water (not soda or juice which are mostly sugar and empty calories) - carrots, sliced bell peppers, triscuits, whole wheat bread slice, banana (fantastically filling, portable and nutritious!), apples, raisins, even peanut butter on rice crackers...

Thanks for the tips. I usually have 10-15 almonds at 11am mid-morning snack and then eat lunch around 1pm. Don't get hungry again until I get home and then I have to deal with SNACK ATTACK before dinner, but I have been making the snacks healthy so I think it's OK. Really, the only thing holding me back from being good this week was my mom's leftover stuffing (ah-may-zing!)

Thanks again :)