Food before exercise?

Options
I know one of my big problems with not being able to shift weight is not getting enough exercise. I work full time and have two young children. I find that by the time they are in bed I really don’t have any energy left to exercise, plus we eat our main meal at about 6:30pm as that is the earliest it is done by and the idea of jumping around on a full stomach doesn’t sound too appealing lol.

So I have been toying with the idea of getting up 45 minutes earlier and doing my exercise DVD before the kids get up on a morning. I already get up at 5.45am so will have to get up around 5am. I think it will be hard for a few days but will soon get in to the swing of it.

The only thing I am worried about is that I cannot face food that early on a morning. I never have been able to. I usually get up and drop the kids off and have breakfast when I arrive at work about 8am. So my question is, am I ok to get up at 5am, exercise and not eat anything until 8am? I don’t want to do myself any harm but I’m so pushed for time I thought this would be a perfect way to squeeze it in.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You won't do yourself any harm by not eating before you exercise. Just eat whenever you're ready. Daily intake is what matters.
  • FluffyCanadianGirl
    Options
    I can only speak from experience, but I used to go to the gym first thing in the morning and I would not eat anything before. I'd do between 45-75 minutes of intense cardio and weight training (this was before I put all the weight back on..ugh..) and I was okay. I was starving afterwards, but I didn't feel light-headed during exercise. I drank a lot of water during the gym time, so that might have helped. From my experience, it didn't do any harm.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies! Sounds like I will be doing this then! It may actually help if it makes you feel hungry after as I might get breakfast before I leave the house as it is faffy having to do it at work.

Thanks again x
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar issue. 4 Year old daughter, start work by 7 at the latest, my wife works swing shift so I am home alone with daughter in evening. I used to get up at 5:15 go get to work by 6. I now get up at 4:40am so I can be to gym by 5, done around 6, and starting work by 7. It took about a week to get used to getting up earlier, but now that it was been a while it is just my normal schedule.

I actually really like working out first thing in the morning. It makes me feel like I have already accomplished something for the day when the day is just starting. I normally eat breakfast after I come home and shower.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I do my exercise (usually) first thing in the morning after dropping off kid at school. I never eat before I work out, just not hungry yet. I haven't seen any side effects from it. I drink a lot of water though before, during and after. If you have problems try eating just half a banana or a big spoon of peanut butter. Then you have a little something in your tummy but not a huge breakfast.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    For me, I would need to eat a little something, because when I don't, my workouts don't have that extra oomph. I used to not eat breakfast for years and not feel hungry, too. Now that I do, I wake up pretty hungry.

Do what works for you. If it doesn't, just adjust. It's better than not exercising at all I think.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    30 minutes before every workout except my morning jogging, I eat a fiber granola bar with 18 g of carbs: oats mostly with some sugars. I need that energy to manifest the intensity required to get the most out of my time in the gym.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to find what works for you. I exercise before work and can't eat anything too heavy or I feel super sick. I drink a protein shake as soon as I wake up and then when I'm at the gym about 30-45 minutes later, I feel fine and have enough energy to go. If I don't eat anything I get lightheaded and don't have enough energy, but if I eat too much I feel nauseous. Sometimes having something small like a banana or other fruit helps you have a little more energy for workout.

I think you just need to find what works for you and then go with it.
  • Donnas70
    Options
    I agree, you may want to just grab something quick on the way out the door just to give you a little extra energy during your workout. I go to the gym after I drop my son off at school in the morning, and I've tried it both ways. I even tried just coffee one morning. I always get the best workout after eating a little something first. It doesn't have to be much, but the trick is to not eat it too close to when you start your workout. That for me is counterproductive. I try to eat 20-30 minutes before my workout begins.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Like others said, do what works for you. Some people can workout on an empty stomach, some others, like me, just can't. I workout in the morning as well, and I used to never be hungry prior to a workout, but would start feeling very hungry and light headed mid workout. I started kind of "forcing" myself to eat a little something when I wake up, just to be able to fuel my workouts.
    I do still feel like I am starving, but only when I finish my workout, and well now I do actually wake up hungry.

Do what works best for you!
  • kiwianjel
    kiwianjel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I get up and go for my hour walk at 5.30am and dont eat breakfast until after 7am.. and I could easily wait longer just need to eat then as my two daughters are up for breakfast and we leave for work/school at 7.45. I feel the same at night as you no energy or willpower for exercise then but I love the early morning!
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also work out early, but perform poorly with no food. I don't eat heavily - just a glass of milk accompanied by either a banana or a spoonful of peanut butter.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I figure I will give it a go tomorrow morning and see how I get on.