how to log class?

I do a class called "fit-lite" -- it's non-impact aerobics, with weights, and some ab/pilates. Is there a comparable item in the database?

Replies

• jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Good question - I was just getting ready to post the same one. I do a personal training class which has pilates, cardio and strength training for 1 hour. Anyone know how we should log this to get the correct calories we are burning? My trainer is telling me to eat back my exercise calories because I will need them to have the endurance to do my class.
  • jchrisman717
    Would calisthenics (vigorous) work for this type of a class? We do jumping jacks, mountain climbers, jump robing and then we do pilates and a circuit of strength training so it seems like maybe that would be about right?
  • jchrisman717
    Willa - maybe yours would be the calisthenics (not vigouous) since your class doesn't have the same cardio that I'm doing - but it seems to have the same pilates and strength training. By the time I get done with my initial jumping jacks, mountain climbers, jump robing - I am out of breath and sweating so I think the vigourous would apply, but the last 15 or 20 minutes of my class is more low key, pilates and stretching (planks).
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    I would call this circuit training. That's what I call some cardio with weights.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    I'm sorry, I just saw the title and thought, gee that's a tough one, not everyone has class! Lmao. Ok, sorry to intrude!

And I would agree with the circuit training suggestion.
  • I would log 40 mins circuit training and 20 mins pilates. When I log as circuit training, it shows a pretty high calorie burn, so I would be cheating myself if I logged the whole hour as circuit training.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Willa - maybe yours would be the calisthenics (not vigouous) since your class doesn't have the same cardio that I'm doing - but it seems to have the same pilates and strength training. By the time I get done with my initial jumping jacks, mountain climbers, jump robing - I am out of breath and sweating so I think the vigourous would apply, but the last 15 or 20 minutes of my class is more low key, pilates and stretching (planks).

I have a similar class on Fridays. The first part is strength training with low weights, planks, mountain climbers, abdominals, etc. and the rest is mat Pilates, so I log it as if I had taken two different classes. I log 30 minutes of calisthenic (vigorous) and 30 minutes of Pilates.

I know that the best thing is to have a HRM, but I don't have one and I am not interested in getting one either at the present time.
  • I am having the same issue. I can't figure out how to log my conditioning sessions that include weights without putting them under strength training. It is really not strength training so it shows no caloric burn. Kind of annoying!
  • Getting a heart rate monitor is a good way to keep track on how much you burn during different classes. Or you can always get a heart rate monitor watch that you can wear during your class so at the end you know how much you how burned and keep track of your heart rate so you know whether or not you’re working hard enough to burn the amount you want. I asked for a watch for Christmas :) Just a suggestion because I am the same way, I like to know the amount of calories I burned to be accurate with my logging.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 323 Member
    I take alot of classes and if it's not like a specific such as Step Class or Aerobics, I just use Circiut Training... I know it's not an exact science anyway so I figure if I get close it will be alright!
  • jlsq
    jlsq Posts: 7
    :laugh: love it!
  • jchrisman717
    I never thought about dividing it up - I did that and its probably more accurate of a count than logging the whole time as calisthenics. Thanks!
  • kdd0476
    kdd0476 Posts: 7 Member
    My suggestion would be to get a heart rate monitor so you will know exactly how many calories you are burning. MFP is close on some but I also found some exercises burned more than what I actually burned.
  • Get a heart rate monitor. It's the best, and I think the only way to accurately count calories burned. I use a Polar FT7, but I've also heard good things about the Polar FT4. Good luck!
  • willaful
    willaful Posts: 24 Member
    I have hinted about one to my personal santa, we shall see. :-)