Any suggestions?

Options
I have a TON of frozen ground beef (hamburger) that my in-laws gave to me and my husband and I don't know what to do with it! I want to be able to use it for making some healthy meals for 2, but everything I tend to make is definitely not on the healthy side...

My husband is one of those people who are blessed with an amazing metabolism and has no need for a low calorie diet. Any suggestions on how I can please the both of us?

Replies

• ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a TON of frozen ground beef (hamburger) that my in-laws gave to me and my husband and I don't know what to do with it! I want to be able to use it for making some healthy meals for 2, but everything I tend to make is definitely not on the healthy side...

My husband is one of those people who are blessed with an amazing metabolism and has no need for a low calorie diet. Any suggestions on how I can please the both of us?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    All the regular stuff like chilli, meatloaf, spaghetti etc except serve yourself an appropriate serving size. Also for the chilli stretch yours with beans and tomatoes.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    mix it with some asian or mexican spices & dish out a little on lettuce leafs & top with things like carrots, onions, a lil cheese, sour cream, ect. Just turn the meet in to little wraps.
  • einsteinkitty
    Options
    My mother-in-law from England makes a fantastic shepherd's pie that I copy (in fact, we had it tonight). Simply brown crumbled ground beef in a pan, drain the fat, add diced onions and 1-2 minced cloves of garlic, and gravy mix (already combined with water; we use Bisto, which has very few calories but adds lots of taste). Simmer until the onions are tender. Add to it mashed potatoes made with lowfat milk and no butter (I can't tell the difference) and a vegetable of your choice. So yummy and fast!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    put it with brown rice-

make whole wheat spaghetti

make meatballs

stuffed peppers

there are plenty of options
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    Soft tacos!
    Use the lawry's taco spice packet - I use 1 1/2 packets per lb of meat instead of the recommended 1 Microwave corn tortillas wrapped in a paper towel - don't even THINK of frying them!
    Shredded lettuce
    Diced tomatoes
    A little shredded cheese
    hot sauce if desired

I can usually eat 2 or 3 and stay in my cal range and it tastes great and is reasonably healthy.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Search/Ingredients.aspx

type in ground beef and see what comes up!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If it's a high-fat ground beef, google Hillbilly Housewife for a way to slash the fat content.

Beyond that, ground beef is versatile as hell. Why not make scrambled steak (ground beef and mashed potatoes) but sub (or exchange half) the mashed potatoes for cauliflower? You might not believe me, but it works!