Milk Choices

Options
I have been reading a lot of the breakfast topics and replies and I see a lot of milk choices. I usually use skim milk. I am open to try the Silk Soy or Rice Milk, but I was wondering what everyone thinks? What should I know before I try something other than the typical skim milk? Are the benefits worth a different taste, and is there really a difference with the taste?

Thank you!! You guys are awesome!

Replies

• mtcountrygal
    Options
    I have been reading a lot of the breakfast topics and replies and I see a lot of milk choices. I usually use skim milk. I am open to try the Silk Soy or Rice Milk, but I was wondering what everyone thinks? What should I know before I try something other than the typical skim milk? Are the benefits worth a different taste, and is there really a difference with the taste?

Thank you!! You guys are awesome!
  • Lillybelle1889
    Lillybelle1889 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always drink soy milk. They have it in low and fat free and have original or vanilla. I think it tastes great (but I also hate the taste of milk). Rice milk is also good but I just prefer soy. You can also use soy/rice milk as a milk sub for anything (but I would make sure you use original in any recipe).
  • McPushup
    McPushup Posts: 12
    Options
    I highly recommend "Blue Diamond" Almond Breeze, Vanilla Flavored, Unsweetened, Almond Milk.
    This is all I use. Being that I am a male, I don't go near Soy Milk.

Enjoy,
    Marcus
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Soy freaks me out.

Organic skim milk is totally healthy. I usually just go with that.

But my favorite milk alternative, BY FAR, is Living Harvest's Unsweetened Vanilla Hemp Milk. Delicious!
  • mtcountrygal
    Options
    ok, this poses another question! Why are people scared of soy??
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly lactose intolerant so I don't drink alot of milk. But with cereal, cooking or if I want a glass for a snack like tonight I drink 1%. It's110 calories and 8gr of protein, 3 gr fat. Depending on the brand it might be alittle different for the nutri info.
  • purplepanda
    purplepanda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Soy can increase the risk for breast cancer in some women with certain genetic links. I think this is because soy is chemically similar to estrogen and estrogen is a trigger for some types of breast cancer.
  • McPushup
    Options
    If men drink soy milk it leads to................................Well, lets just say I dont want to start wearing a bra. Or should I say a Bro........LOL
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I haven't had dairy in 2 weeks-- Oh how I miss my cereal!!! but in reality we are the only mammals to continue to drink milk after being babies-

Milk is fine to drink just get skim or low fat- I don't know much about soy so I can't help you there All I know is good old fashioned Milk that comes from cows-
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    i can't stand the taste of milk, soy milk or rice milk. it grosses me right out, lol! every once in a while i'll do a little bit of chocolate milk, but thats not as healthy as skim and whatnot so i don't drink it much
  • McPushup
    Options
    Everyone....Trust me on this one......Try Almond Milk......Its really good with "Kashi Go Lean Crunch" Cereal
  • mtcountrygal
    Options
    If men drink soy milk it leads to................................Well, lets just say I dont want to start wearing a bra. Or should I say a Bro........LOL

I about fell on the floor, I was laughing so hard at your reply!!!! I want to lose my boobs, not get more!!!! Anyway, thank you for the reply, I needed a good laugh. :laugh:
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Everyone....Trust me on this one......Try Almond Milk......Its really good with "Kashi Go Lean Crunch" Cereal

I second McPushup on this one! Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla is all I drink! You can't tell the difference in cereal and it's yummy cold.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I hate milk. yuck.

I do like yogurt and cheese though so those are my dairy choices. Chocolate silk is pretty good too :flowerforyou:

All those fears of soy are really only applicable if you're getting excessive amoutns of it AND even then those risks are pretty strongly debated. Nothing wrong with drinking skim milk.

YES we're the only mammals that continue consuming dairy after infancy. but hey, we're also the only mammals that cook our food... and filter our water... and know how to communicate through speech. I'm not going to stop doing any of those things just because other mammals don't do them. Calcium is SO important. If you choose not to eat dairy/dairy alternatives make sure you're taking a calcium supplement.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

YES we're the only mammals that continue consuming dairy after infancy. but hey, we're also the only mammals that cook our food... and filter our water... and know how to communicate through speech. I'm not going to stop doing any of those things just because other mammals don't do them. Calcium is SO important. If you choose not to eat dairy/dairy alternatives make sure you're taking a calcium supplement.

I love this! and thank you for reminding us to take a calcium supplement! For us women it is important.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you can get calcium from Orange Juice!