Watching biggest loser last night

Options
2»

Replies

• iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    The one change I liked about this season was the fact that they actually showed the people who had to drop out for medical reasons because in the past there have always been people that don't complete it and they choose to ignore them. I have always said that the marathon episode is misleading because they never really show the people training enough and they don't really explain what training they are doing. The assumption to me has always been that if I go to the gym every day for 4 hours...I will be ready for a marathon.....that's so wrong on so many levels.
    Very cute profile pic!

Thanks!
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, they take hours and hours of footage for multiple contestants and condense it down to less than a 2 hr show (because of the commercials)...they pick the footage for entertainment value, not educational value!
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My wife loves that show and I usually end up watching it. I believe the workout they showed and the marathon didn't really correlate with each other. Those contestants train hard in many different ways throughout the show's course, and that lady's trainer thought that squats were a proper thing for her to do to help with weight loss. I think a connection was made (probably through fault of editing) that didn't really exist.

I agree with you...
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    Last night, what you saw in the gym was the 4 final contestants trying to make it into the finals. Only 2 of them would be chosen so what they were doing was trying to lose as much weight as possible. The marathon was more for the previously eliminated contestants to be able to make it back into the final 3.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    From my (pretty limited) experience watching this show, it has never been interested in teaching its viewers proper training or nutrition for weight loss. It simply entertains. Unfortunate, as this probably gives people who are less knowledgeable about fitness and nutrition very inaccurate expectations and ideas.
  • MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    Does it matter, what they choose to show or not show on that show....The only thing I was thinking as the Marathon took place was WOW, how incredible is this. 5 months ago these 15 people almost fell over trying to start the show with a 1 mile run, now here it is 5 months later and 12 of the 15 people finished the marathon!!!!! thats Incredible, right there!!!!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Does it matter, what they choose to show or not show on that show....The only thing I was thinking as the Marathon took place was WOW, how incredible is this. 5 months ago these 15 people almost fell over trying to start the show with a 1 mile run, now here it is 5 months later and 12 of the 15 people finished the marathon!!!!! thats Incredible, right there!!!!

This is true. But I think it is equally as important for the producers to show that this was not done without a lot of support because in reality...it is not safe (or possible) to lose 154 lbs in 12 weeks without a lot of support.
  • fee2dancesing
    Options
    I too watched the show like many of you. Yes, they did show lifting in the gym and I thinkg that it's personally fine. Although you are increasing the endurance level in your body by doing tons of cardio you also need to prepare your muscels. Think about it, have you ever seen a track star (Olympics) without muscels. No. There is a reason for that.

SN: My random question is this. How long were the contestants at home before returning to the ranch?
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    In previous seasons there was usually at least one finalist who usually got bit by the "running bug" on the show, and that is who they really focused on for the running...as well as the other finalists, to some extent training for the marathon. Keep in mind too that this is also the first time the entire cast has run the marathon, and I'm sure it would have been a bit harder for them to get footage of each and everyone of them training for this event. And I'm sure editing and making it TV friendly had a lot to do with it also.
    Personally I was encouraged watching it since I'll be running my first marathon on 3/4!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Duplicate post, sorry!
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    SN: My random question is this. How long were the contestants at home before returning to the ranch?

I think it said they ran their first mile 18 weeks previous, and the final four went home at 12 weeks, so prob around 2 months at home. Just a guesstimate.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    The people whose training was shown aren't just training for the marathon (including the woman who squatted 125 lb.); they're still finalists to be the Biggest Loser, no matter how the marathon went. So they're trying to maximize weight loss, not just complete the marathon. The marathon just happens to be between them and the finale, where the winner is selected not based on the marathon time, but on total percentage of weight loss.
  • Taushina
    Taushina Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have any of you ever purchased the Biggest Loser walking video? They claim to help a person train for a marathon. I know for myself that if I trained with ONLY that video then I'd probably be facing an upset come marathon time. :noway:

I do enjoy watching the BL though, aside from the marathon thingy. It's encouraging for a person like me. :wink:
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    what I would like to know is how many contestants blew their knees out?

I usually consider this show the "let's see how many we can get to blow out there knees" show.

Ho, hum.....