P90 vs. 30 Day Shred??

Options
Okay, soooo... I've [seriously and determinedly] begun my weight loss journey about 2 weeks ago and thus far I've pretty much been doing solely cardio. I've tried incorporating strength training every so often but not nearly enough to really fatigue my lady muscles. I'm looking to ease my way into strength training and I'm looking for something that incorporates both cardio/aerobic exercises with strength training segments, or a circuit-like workout. I recently obtained the 30 Day Shred and it looks okay (still a little advanced for me though, I'm an uber beginner lol), then I came across P90 (NOT P90X) and heard that might be even a little easier than 30DS? That might have just been one persons opinion, but I wonder if there may be some truth to it?

My question here is which of these two (30DS vs. P90) might be better for a beginner? Has anyone tried them both?

I'm not necessarily looking for something "easy", as I know that won't get results, but I'm just looking for something DOABLE for a real strength training beginner. I'm very weak and have most definitely lost a lot of muscle in the last few years and I'm looking to shape up while simultaneously slimming down.

Any advice, experience, etc. would be wonderful and appreciated.

Much Love and Alohas to everyone!
-Ihilani Kapuniai- <3

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Really?? No one??!
  • ct2020
    ct2020 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've done a full 90 days of P90 and a few workouts here and there of 30DS. I think P90 is probably the better one to start with as it's designed to last 90 days and designed so you can keep doing it. You also do one day cardio and one day strength so your muscles get that day to relax. With 30DS you do both everyday so you're muscles don't get that chance to relax. Not saying 30DS is bad, just that P90 might be better for getting into it. Hope that helps.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    That helps a lot, thank you. I can't seem to find a whole lot of videos online actually showing me the workout from P90 so I can't really compare for myself, which is why I'm asking. ;)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I've not done the p90 yet, I do have it on my to do list. I am working on 30 day shred, I've heard the p90 is pretty intense, the 30 day is intense for me, but I'm not use to working out. I think each thing works different for each person. I seen some pretty amazing results in just 7 days of doing the 30 day, where others didn't see those kind of results.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I've done a full round of P90x and all of the workouts from 30DS, although I never did the full 30 days. To be honest, if you're a beginner then 30DS is probably perfect to start with. If you're anything other than a beginner, then it's a bit boring. I know a lot of people on here love the Shred, so no offense to them, but 20 minutes jumping around with some 3 lb weights is not necessarily the most intense workout. It is a good place to start for sure though. P90x is much longer (in workout length as well as program length) and much more intense, there's a lot more emphasis on strength training and although the cardio is a bit limited, Plyo is absolutely killer.

30DS is pretty cheap, so maybe start there and see what you think. It could be perfect for you. You can always switch to P90x or something else entirely later. You're not obligated to finish the whole 30 days.
  • JCGilbert
    Options
    Power 90 is great and not really that intense. It's like a beginners version of P90X. VERY DO-ABLE!! I like that it alternates sculpt one day, cardio the next. The routines can be a bit boring as they repeat, but that's ok. Tony Horton is HOT!
    30 day Shred was hard for my knees, and Jillian moves from floor to standing too quickly, giving me a head rush.
    Go "friend" stephfilako here on MFP. She is my Beachbody coach/rep and she can maybe get you a deal!
  • Gummibear77
    Gummibear77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great feedback!! I just started the 30DS yesterday so today is Day 2 ! Hope i see results :o)
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    To add, I say that if you do 30-Day Shred, you really don't have to do it every day. I did Level 1 for about 10 days, but ONLY three or four times (skipped a day or two in-between workouts, doing some treadmill walking/running instead), then did Level 2 for about that long, ONLY three or four times, and am now doing Level 3. Seeing awesome changes in my body! If you do it every single day, especially as a beginner, you will find that you are very sore and you can't perform at your best. That IS a good thing about P90 or P90X, having those alternating days...but no one says you HAVE to do the Shred every day either! :)
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    i have watched them both and done neither. Not becasue they are bad I just do something else.
    Just pick one and go for it.
    30 shredd is wat easier though.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of P90, but I have the Shred. I started it as a beginner with no previous working out history and was able to get through it (barely though, lol!). I like it because I can sense my endurance building. I definitely won't keeping doing it every day after the 30 days and will switch to something else, but I really like it.
  • jlc2546
    Options
    I am starting the P90 on Sunday! If you want to friend me we can help each other through? I'm so out of shape and desperately need to do something. I read about the P90 on Reddit and decided to go for it. People think I'm crazy to start this before Christmas but honestly, holidays come every year and I could care less. I can't spend one more day waiting for the right time. Today is the right time, its all I've got.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Power 90 is a great little introduction to working out. There are two different workouts you do for the first 30-45 days, then you move onto eh next two. One is a whole body resistance workout with weights or bands and the other is a cardio workout with a good abs workout tossed in.

I haven't seen the 30DS workouts since I have been doing the Power 90, P90X, TurboFire thing. I can't really compare the two, only talk about what i know from P90. Personally, i got a little bored with Power 90, but for some people, a familiar workout each day is just perfect.