Help! I'm a picky eater.

Options
Sd0510
Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
I really hate the taste of vegatables, but I do eat fruits. Is there any way to sneak some veggies in without me noticing the taste too much, or should I do something else like drink V8 drinks (I don't mind the strawberry banana one) or take some kind of vitamin?

I also don't like mushy stuff, which is why I don't eat mushy vegatables. I hate mashed potatoes, cooked carrots, and even rice because of how mushy they are, and I guess I just don't like the texture. It makes me want to vomit.

So, any tips? =)

Replies

• kimibunny
    Options
    Smoothies.
  • FindingTotalHealth
    Options
    bump
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Eat raw veggies or try roasting or grilling them so that they are softer, more tender, but not mushy. Try lots of different kinds cooked many ways. I can't drink V8 unless it is really cold, at room temp I just gag. If you don't like rice try bulgar it's toughter. or just eat really hearty, crusty whole grain breads. Good luck!
  • Sd0510
    Options
    Thanks for that! Do daily vitamins help at all or should I stay away from those? And what kind of smoothies do you reccommend, because I don't want something with high sugar or too many calories.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Eat them raw if you don't like the mushy texture. :)
  • myskinnyyear
    myskinnyyear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Because of my surgery, I have to get in 80 gr of protein a day, and sometimes not a lot of room for much else. I definitely take multi vitamins. GNC has some called leafy greens, I think. Don't taste great, but if you can't get down the veggies, might give them a try.

My kids use to be picky eaters, and when they were little I used to make them eat at least 1 spoon of everything I fixed. They might not like it, but they tried it at least. No problems anymore with picky eaters.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to eat veggies and you'll end up loving them after a couple weeks.
    You don't like them because you don't eat them.

Try different ways of preparing them too. You can roast just about any veg in the oven with a little salt, pepper and olive oil and you would be amazed at how much better it tastes. Even brussles sprouts are edible when roasted this way.
    My favs are roasted potatoes and/or asparugus.
  • Sd0510
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try eating them either raw or roasted and then go to vitamins if I still can't get them down. Lol. You were all a big help!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Move to a remote viillage in China and starve until you have no choice but to start eating like a normal person. Well, a normal rural Chinese person, which would mean, rice, pickled vegetables and pig intestines.
  • blacktallon
    Options
    I really like raw veggies in humus. :) If you have not tried hummus you should!
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I agree with eating vegetables with Hummus. I also like them lightly steamed or grilled on the BBQ.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to eat veggies and you'll end up loving them after a couple weeks.
    You don't like them because you don't eat them.

Try different ways of preparing them too. You can roast just about any veg in the oven with a little salt, pepper and olive oil and you would be amazed at how much better it tastes. Even brussles sprouts are edible when roasted this way.
    My favs are roasted potatoes and/or asparugus.

^^I second this. A lot of people "don't like vegetables" because they aren't used to eating them. Their tastebuds are used to salty, sugary processed fare. Just make an effort to eat them more and if you're also cutting back on processed foods, you'll find they taste delicious after a few weeks!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What about soup? I'm not a big fan of most veggies but in soup I'll eat them and you can liquidise it once it's made so that it doesn't have mushy texture.
  • emilypsb
    emilypsb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can also make a veggie-heavy juice. I make juice with almost all spinach, celery and carrots, with just a little apple for sweetness. You do have to get a juicer but I think it is worth it! Also lots of places sell fresh juice. You can get in almost all of your servings in one glass. Only problem is that the juicer takes out some of the fiber I think...

I also agree with other posters - just keep trying raw veggies until you get used to them and like them!