Vitamin D deficiency

Options
So I just found out that I have a severe Vitamin D deficiency. I was doing some research online and found a lot of information supporting the fact that this can be linked to weight gain and/or trouble losing weight. For the past year I have been struggling with the same 5lbs, up and down, up and down. In the previous year, after the birth of my daughter, I lost 43 pounds in 9 months without a struggle. I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced this, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter/experiences! Thanks!

Replies

• 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Sunshine will help you...
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had a vitamin d deficiency while I was looking for work. I was living in my parent's basement and had no windows... My doc said I need to get more sunlight. It will boost your vitamin d levels, and make you feel happier. Take a walk each morning and get some sunshine :D
  • martinh78
    Options
    Living in NE England we don't get much sunlight. I am now taking a cod liver oil tablet which has added vitamin A & D, which really seems to have helped my mood/seasonal depression this year. Living in Florida though I guess you get plenty of sun!
  • gwennypink
    Options
    My doctor is putting me on a once-a-week Vitamin D pill for 6 months thankfully =) I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem, and if it has affected their weight loss?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I take 10,000 iu daily of Vitamin D3. Haven't had my serum levels checked, but I noticed I had less sensitivity to light when I started taking it.

Vit D is a wonder vitamin.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Depends on where you live. At my lattitude (WA/ID pretty much any state touching/near Canada) we really can't get enough vitamin D from the sun Nov-Apr....
  • lindseyfalcon
    Options
    I just recently found out I also had a Vitamin D deficiency and I'm taking 2 pills twice a week for 2 months and have my blood redrawn. I have also had problems losing weight. I have been on the Depo shot for years and they said that plays a big factor. I have noticed since I've been taking the pills I'm not as hungry and taht is a side affect. Drink lots of water also.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I had a severe deficiency. The doctor said I was a week from being hospitalized. I take Vitamin D everyday. I definately feel better. If you go to get some sun mid-day is best and no sunscreen or it won't work. Good luck!
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I tried for years to lose weight with no luck. I tried everything, and nothing worked. I never had my D levels tested, but my doctor put me on 5000 IUs of Vit D a day. Now, when I try to lose weight, I can. :) Good luck to you!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have a severe vitamin D definciency also and my doctor also told me to get more sun (hard to do in the winter) and to take a vitamin d tablet with 2000 units everyday. I hope that all the information we gave you helps you out!!!

Bev
  • Pooker89
    Pooker89 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I actually had that same problem! Last about april or may last year I was put on Vitamin D and I did lose a little weight (After 4-5 months of working out and eating healthy) Nothing would take my weight down so when it started to go I was super happy, but I ran out of my Vitamin D pills and took a couple months for me to find another kind of Viatmin D that I was ok with ( I have a very sensitive stomache when it comes to all the pills in capsuls and stuff or weird coatings). After I ran out as well I stopped losing weight (And also didn't have time to work out). I'm now taking a great Vitamin D &K suppliment. I've lost 2 lbs so far in 7 days :) (Also with help from MFP and working out). It felt like it was impossible for me to lose weight when I wasn't on it though.
  • Pooker89
    Pooker89 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Depends on where you live. At my lattitude (WA/ID pretty much any state touching/near Canada) we really can't get enough vitamin D from the sun Nov-Apr....
    Welcome to WA. Lol Unless you live on the East coast of WA your pretty much SOL. :tongue:
  • gwennypink
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing everyone! This really makes me feel hopeful to hear from those of you that have been through it, and I cant wait to see if this is linked to my issues with losing weight!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yes I was extremely Vitamin D deficient back at the beginning of my journey and my doctor put me on a heavy dose 40,000 IU's for 4 months until my bloodwork showed marked improvement and then I was put on a daily regulating dose of 5,000 IU's a day and have been there for the last couple years...
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    wow, I had no idea! This may be just what I need!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I take one 50,000 V.D pill every week.
    Mine is horribly bad to the point were over the counter could not help me.
    I have just taken my update tests so I am not sure on my results yet. But I found out that losing weight will help with that. It is hard too when you don't get out enough, I am not one to get out unless I have to. But if you would like some support and someone who understands how you feel send me a message! I will gladly be your friend and we will fight through this together.
  • dcfl2012
    Options
    Sunshine will also give you skin cancer ;) I was placed on Vitamin D like yourself, the once a week...Do you notice you have some balance issues too?
  • LosingWeight2012
    LosingWeight2012 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Me too! I'm on prescription vitamin D. There are several reasons that your level could be low and I know the easiest thing for people to say is get some sunshine. There are plenty of endocrine, digestive condtions that can cause it too. Get better! I am right there with you. Do you twitch and cramp too?
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Unless you live in a super sunny place, most people are vitamin D deficient and should take a supplement. If you don't live in a REALLY sunny place, going out in the sun is NOT enough.