I want to do pull-ups in the worst way!!!! Help Me!

Options
2»

Replies

• Gelly_Bean
    Gelly_Bean Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Best Advice I've heard is:

Negative Pull ups - Start in the up and slowly let yourself down
    Resistance Bands - Should be able to provide support
    Use a Chair - Put your foot on it to help you do them. Eventually do more and possible stop using the chair after a while
    Lat Pull Down - In the gym or using resistance bands. This is very effective

JUST KEEP TRYING.

If you can get 1 now, do 15 sets of 1 per day or something like that. Keep trying until you can get 2, then do a bunch of those mini sets. You'll get it eventually.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Charles Poliquin has a couple great articles on his website about improving your pull ups and chin ups. Here is a good one:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/735/Top_12_Tips_to_Improve_Chin-Ups.aspx
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the great tips! I AM GOING TO DO PULL UPS IF IT KILLS ME!!!! Reading what everyone said makes me want to go to the gym right this second, if only...well the next best thing will be reading all those lovely sites. Some asked if I could do a pull up now and sadly the answer is no, on the flip side it's good I have a goal to shoot for as it keeps me motivated. I use this tower thing at the gym that lets me do assisted ones and that is what I am doing now. I could use work on the push ups too and will be doing more of those. One step at a time for the rocking body of my dreams, something every single one of us can have:) MFP is awesome!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    Options
    Oh, BTW, no one commented on the should I eat more or not to gain strength faster? I'm losing in a nice steady rate of 1 to 1/2 pound every week give or take so thats cool.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Along your journey, losing weight will help your muscle to weight ratio. Pretty much what was said already is what I'd advise.

Don't worry though. I know GUYS that can't do one pull up.

I note that a reverse close grip pull up is eaiser. chinup.jpg Uses more bicep than back.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    bump
  • weakaaron
    weakaaron Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Il repeat what others have said, that the best way to train for a pull up is to do them. Use a chair and as it gets easier move it further away until just 1 toe is on it. Its exactly the same method im using to try to do a 1 armer. Also, once it gets easier try adding a weight vest/belt. Sounds crazy but when you then try it without it will seem a lot easier. Good luck!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a pull down machine as they encourage a full range of motion during the movement.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    Options
    The gym I go to has a tower thing with the assist foot thing (give me a break, I'm new to this) but the hand placement is strange, (side grips?) straight out so my thumbs face each other. This ok?
  • TrophyWifeSass
    Options

I use that thing too:wink: I do reps of 8 as heavy as I can about 5 times until form is sloppy and then I stop. Thank you Jeff you are absolutely right!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    Options
    a shameless bump to get more play...I know, I know...shameless
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you can't do one pull up, then do lots of negatives (or eccentric pull ups). Assisted pulls up and/or pulldowns are a similar motion in the arms, and would work too. However, there's just something different about actually being freely suspended on the bar.

The key to pull ups is "time under tension." So use a stool or jump up to the pull up bar, and then slowly lower yourself down. Initially aim to take 4 to 10 seconds on your way down each time, and do a few sets of those negatives. You want to rack up a lot of "time under tension."
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Bump