Feels Like: 14°

Options
That's what weather.com was telling me before my walk today, it's official...

Winter is here in the Upper Mid-West, brrr!

This will be my first winter walking/jogging, any tips from the vets out there?

Do you run in the snow?

Any special attire I should look for? Especially when it gets below zero...

And most importantly, how do you avoid the hidden ice that surely lurks everywhere?

One thing I did notice today though, I need to bring tissues with me, my nose was running more than I was ;)

Replies

• marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I should take more time to read titles - thought it said, 'feels like 14" ' .Woops!
  • MissLuana
    Options
    @Marthafox1...so did I...lmao. That's the only reason I opened it...hehe:blushing:
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Yak Trax!!! They go onto your shoes so you don't slip in the slush and ice.

I also use this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC5toC0vms as a guide. I am in southeastern Wisconsin so I need warm clothes to be outside and layers are your friend, cotton is your enemy.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    itrs currently -7C (19°F) but feels like -17C (1°F), winter had been here since November... I dislike it.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    LOL @marthafox1

Yeah.. I was out last night and it felt like 2F.. it is indeed here. I run inside during the winter although I still walk and bike outside.

The only advice I can give you is moisture wicking material is a plus and dress in layers. Like yesterday, I had on a thermal l/s shirt with a couple layers over it and I was fine. Bottoms are the same.. long underwear and 1 layer over them. Gloves, hats and you're good to go.

As for ice.. well.. yeah.. I fall down. My ego tends to be the only thing bruised.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I should take more time to read titles - thought it said, 'feels like 14" ' .Woops!

This is exactly what I thought.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    YES! Bring tissues or your sleeves get yucky. That's my best advice. I hate the cold. I've actually started running with this thing, (I didn't know what what is was called until I just googled) a neck gaiter(?), I guess. A bandanna would work too, I think. It covers your neck and face and it's breathable. It warms the air that enters your lungs so it doesn't burn. Also keeps your lips and nose a little warmer....
  • DBTFW
    DBTFW Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Here's an article on cold-weather exercise: http://www.texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/HSmart/cold_weather.cfm

I know that cold weather is particularly taxing on the heart, especially if you have prior heart issues (which this article talks about, too).

Under Armour has some really good stuff to wear, albeit kind of pricey: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/
  • amerrill1
    Options
    bump
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what your sayin.. I live in Wisconsin.. HOME OF THE WORLD CHAMP GB PACKERS :)... very cold right now...
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I guess I have some more shopping to do, everything I own is cotton LOL

Sorry about the title LOL I guess it does look like 14"
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what your sayin.. I live in Wisconsin.. HOME OF THE WORLD CHAMP GB PACKERS :)... very cold right now...

That's where I'm from, guess my username gave that away ;)

Go! Pack! Go!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    YES! Bring tissues or your sleeves get yucky. That's my best advice. I hate the cold. I've actually started running with this thing, (I didn't know what what is was called until I just googled) a neck gaiter(?), I guess. A bandanna would work too, I think. It covers your neck and face and it's breathable. It warms the air that enters your lungs so it doesn't burn. Also keeps your lips and nose a little warmer....
    Get balaclava for when it gets really cold. Of course, to us, really cold is below 40! ;)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    That's what she said.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I guess I should complain of 45 deg when I leave for work, now it's 64
  • AmandaJoi25
    Options
    Im a runner/walker but never do it in the winter. I live in PA and can't stand the cold I just stopped this week. I workout indoors during winter.
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Amanda i hate the cold also i'm indoors now too,tomorrow i'm starting mall walking lol just for a additonal workout
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I've actually been glad we've been as mild as we have in Wisconsin so far but yesterday and today were a shock :( I hate winter and dream of the desert.
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    runnersworld.com/whattowear

The days I wear exactly what it tells me to I do fine, the days I second guess it and add more layers I end up too hot.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Dress like it is about 10 degrees warmer than it actually is. Avoid cotton at all costs, if you sweat, it will freeze and is a huge no-no. Layers with wicking undergarments is also a must. I start wearing gloves when temperatures hit freezing. I wore a hat today at -1C and halfway through really regretted it ( too hot). Personally, I will run outside until temperatures hit -10 to -15 then move indoors. When it snows, you need to be very careful of things like black ice which is hard to see, and slush which will get your feet wet, then freeze them. Good luck on your winter running adventure:)