Peeing in the Middle of the Night

Options
I notice that I have been getting up once or twice a night to pee. I do drink alot of water during the day but stop 3 hours before I go to bed. Could it be all the water still or should I see a doctor ?

Replies

• ilovemyhorse
    Options
    I wake up 2-3 times in the night to pee. I have a small bladder! But I have a bottle of water by my bed and in the morning it's gone, so that's probably why. but i do take meds that give me dry mouth so therefore I drink more. I think you're just fine!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It could be the extra water you're drinking but if it worries you then of course, go see a doctor. Please don't take advice on a forum instead of professional medical advice :)
  • kirstyuffendale
    kirstyuffendale Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are you more thirsty than usual? or losing weight without trying....these can be symptoms of diabetes so you should definately consult a doctor just to be sure
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It never hurts to see the doctor, maybe a few extra dollars but there are a lot of things in that if you catch early can medically be treated. Better safe than sorry.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    one, consult a doctor. two...might you be pregnant? that's when I had to get up and go!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    When you're drinking a lot of water and not peeing, then it's time to worry.
  • PKempy
    PKempy Posts: 14
    Options
    See a doctor.

I have two conditions that caused me to get up several times in the night to pee (both now under control)

1) Obstructive sleep apnoea
    2) Type II diabetes
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    One of the simplest explanations is that you can put an awful lot of water weight in your legs during the day without them appearing swollen. Then it comes out at night when your legs are level with your kidneys. There's no heart in your feet to pump fluid uphill during the day, so it's actually pretty impressive your body gets any fluid back to your heart at all when you're upright.

Eating less sodium helps. But what other people said about seeing a doctor to check your sugar, blood pressure, thyroid etc. are good suggestions.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor if you're concerned. I wake up at least 2-3 times a night, sometimes even more, to use the toilet. I drink 3-4 litres of water a day, though, and I drink water right up til I go to bed.