Fun ways to burn calories?

Options
I get so bored with the usual walking, elliptical, jogging, ya know? :) I want some fun ways to do exercises and burn calories! Any suggestions? :)

Replies

• BeSkinnyBeStrong
    Options
    Jump rope! It burns a lot of calories and it's fun.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    dancing!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    try a Zumba class to learn about dance fitness. I use moves I learned in Zumba combined with moves I learned in other aerobics classes for my own at home dance party workout!
  • vivalavida82
    vivalavida82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Dancing, hiking, skiing/snowboarding, skateboarding, playing a game (tennis, soccer, beachball).
  • queenbuffy
    queenbuffy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Raving! Get in the middle of the crowd, jumping and dancing for hours and sweating it all out! You can burn some major calories while having the time of your life!
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    try a Zumba class to learn about dance fitness. I use moves I learned in Zumba combined with moves I learned in other aerobics classes for my own at home dance party workout!

i agree!! i LOVE zumba. fun way to burn a ton of calories!!
  • slashkiss
    slashkiss Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sex!
  • kissoffools
    Options

i agree!! i LOVE zumba. fun way to burn a ton of calories!!

I was wondering - I'm just looking at starting Zumba and was curious - how do you guys track the calories you burn on MFP? Is there somewhere that gives you an approximate number that you burn? The MFP calculator didn't have anything under "Zumba".
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sex!

^^ This ^^
  • splescia82
    splescia82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Depending on the are you live in, you might want to try social dancing. So instead of a 1-hour class of focused exercising (like Zumba), try going to a salsa, swing or even a country dance. Most of the time, the dance will have a 1 hour beginner lesson which is a great way to meet people, and then they'll have a 4-5 hour dance afterward. There's event weekends that have workshops and dancing all night long. I love it because I'm burning calories without any awareness of the time that passes. 3 hours of dancing feels like nothing but fun to me.

Try looking for country 2 step (night club 2 step & country waltz dances are usually mixed in), salsa, bachata, west coast swing, east coast swing (very different from west coast swing), balboa, hustle, country line dancing, etc... I'm suggesting dances that require lots of energy and have a large community.

Beware of ballroom studios like Author Murray and Fred Astire. They're great if you want to learn ballroom but they're pricey and some studios are very small so you don't meet as many people and get as much dancing in. A reasonable price for a group lesson is $12 - $15 and that should include the dance afterwards.

My favorite is West Coast Swing - there's dance events all over the country. Try http://www.swingdancecouncil.com/ for a listing of events, for country try http://www.danceyall.com/, and just google any dance you want to learn and see what comes up. .