Please critique my food diary

Options
As I get closer to my weight goal, it's becoming harder for me to lose the last pounds. I wanted to make a post to get some suggestions about my food intake to see if I am doing something wrong or that I could be doing better in order for me to improve my journey towards the goal.

I feel like I am taking in too much sugar and not enough veggies. It also seems like I take a lot of in Sodium that is keeping my body retaining too much water (such as pho tai...is pho tai that good for you?).

I've also been eating a lot of the same food and will get sick of it soon. I could use some suggestions.

Thank you!

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    No offense but you will get a lot of negative feed back, you are starving your body.
  • kater86
    Options
    Well you need to eat more lean proteins, less salt and less sugar. Ramp up your veggie intake and opt for fruits with less sugar and more nutritional value. Try egg whites, poultry, fish, green veggies, cauliflower, and sweet potato. If you really want your soup try subbing no sodium beef broth and a pinch of spice packet. And if possible whole wheat noodles. But you eat a lot of sugar packed carbs. Thats where your having a hard time.
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Eat Breakfast (even if its just a piece of toast or bowl of cereal)
    Too much fruit - limit to 2 pieces and eat more veg instead.
    Pho Thai & other soups are killing you with sodium - find some lower Sodium and Calorie soups
    Enough with the granola bars (1/day max)

Looks like you aren't eating enough calories, the last few pounds you should be doing a 250 calorie deficit (1/2 pound per week) otherwise you'll end up starving yourself.
  • ralawar7
    Options
    No offense but you will get a lot of negative feed back, you are starving your body.

Can you be more specific? How much do you think I should be eating?

I am on the 2 pound per week plan. Maybe I should be on 1 pound per week.
  • ralawar7
    Options
    Eat Breakfast (even if its just a piece of toast or bowl of cereal)
    Too much fruit - limit to 2 pieces and eat more veg instead.
    Pho Thai & other soups are killing you with sodium - find some lower Sodium and Calorie soups
    Enough with the granola bars (1/day max)

Looks like you aren't eating enough calories, the last few pounds you should be doing a 250 calorie deficit (1/2 pound per week) otherwise you'll end up starving yourself.

Thanks. If I do the 1/2 pound per week plan, I'm afraid that I'll underestimate my calorie intake and end up eating over the deficit.

What veggies do you recommend? I was thinking frozen mixed/corn. Or should I avoid frozen veggies?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are doing a good job hitting your targets are they're currently set. I agree that it's definitely time to switch to 1 lb per week rather than 2 per week (bonus - you get to eat 500 more cals a day!) . If this seems like a big shock, you might make the change gradually, adding 100-200, sticking there for a few days, then adding more. You might also consider bumping up your protein so you're getting about 1 g per lb of body weight.

Unless you have some preexisting health issue, don't sweat too much about sodium or sugar. Most of us could do with more veggies. Frozen is a great option because they last a lot longer in the freezer than they do in the fridge.

All in all I would say you're on a good track here.
  • ralawar7
    Options
    Well you need to eat more lean proteins, less salt and less sugar. Ramp up your veggie intake and opt for fruits with less sugar and more nutritional value. Try egg whites, poultry, fish, green veggies, cauliflower, and sweet potato. If you really want your soup try subbing no sodium beef broth and a pinch of spice packet. And if possible whole wheat noodles. But you eat a lot of sugar packed carbs. Thats where your having a hard time.

Thank you. What types of fruits do you recommend? As far as soup, I don't think I'll be able to find any premade/packaged without a ton of sodium. I may have to avoid it all together.
  • ralawar7
    Options
    Looks like you are doing a good job hitting your targets are they're currently set. I agree that it's definitely time to switch to 1 lb per week rather than 2 per week (bonus - you get to eat 500 more cals a day!) . If this seems like a big shock, you might make the change gradually, adding 100-200, sticking there for a few days, then adding more. You might also consider bumping up your protein so you're getting about 1 g per lb of body weight.

Unless you have some preexisting health issue, don't sweat too much about sodium or sugar. Most of us could do with more veggies. Frozen is a great option because they last a lot longer in the freezer than they do in the fridge.

Thank you. I will probably switch to 1pd per week from today on.

I hear a lot about getting 1g per lb of body weight. Is that so the body maintains muscles instead of using reducing them for energy or did I misunderstand that from other threads?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Thank you. I will probably switch to 1pd per week from today on.

I hear a lot about getting 1g per lb of body weight. Is that so the body maintains muscles instead of using reducing them for energy or did I misunderstand that from other threads?

Yes, 1g/per is the rule of thumb for maintaining/building lean muscle. Some say 1g per lb of lean body weight; some day 1g per lb of overall body weight. Some use other numbers anywhere from 0.85g-2g per lb. It's a ballpark figure. If you're a bit over or a bit under that number, no need to sweat it, so long as you're in the ballpark.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You didn't look previous to today, did you? :noway: