Hydroxycut - warning

Options
This article was in the Toronto Star today. For those of you using this to speed up the weight loss, please consider what you are putting in your body

Hydroxycut diet pills linked to liver damage
Supplements not sold here, but Oakville maker recalls products in U.S.

May 02, 2009 04:30 AM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Health Canada revealed yesterday it has received some adverse reports about Hydroxycut dietary supplements, as U.S. health officials warned people to immediately stop using the products, which are made in Oakville.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned dieters and body builders against using Hydroxycut dietary supplements after it received 23 reports linking some of the widely sold products to cases of serious liver damage, including a 19-year-old man who died in 2007.

Iovate Health Sciences, the Oakville company that makes the diet pills, said in a statement that the 2007 death of the teenager was not caused by Hydroxycut. The statement gave no details, but Iovate has agreed to recall 14 Hydroxycut products in the U.S.

Hydroxycut products are not authorized for sale in Canada, but Health Canada said it has received 17 adverse reaction reports associated with Hydroxycut products in Canada.

The reports relate to the cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal and neurological systems, Health Canada said. It has not received reports of liver injury.

"Health Canada is reviewing the situation in Canada and has been in contact with the FDA regarding this matter," the department said in an emailed statement.

"Health Canada will provide Canadians with any new safety information when the review is completed."

Available in grocery stores and pharmacies in the U.S., Hydroxycut is advertised as being made from natural ingredients. At least nine million packages were sold last year, the FDA said.

Dr. Linda Katz of the FDA's food and nutrition division said patients experienced symptoms ranging from jaundice, or yellowing of the skin, to liver failure. One received a transplant and another was placed on a list to await a new liver.

The patients were otherwise healthy and their symptoms began after they started using Hydroxycut, regulators said.

Hydroxycut is used by people trying to shed pounds and by body builders to sharpen their muscles.

Hydroxycut Cleanse and Hoodia products are not affected by the recall.

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    This article was in the Toronto Star today. For those of you using this to speed up the weight loss, please consider what you are putting in your body

Hydroxycut diet pills linked to liver damage
    Supplements not sold here, but Oakville maker recalls products in U.S.

May 02, 2009 04:30 AM
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

Health Canada revealed yesterday it has received some adverse reports about Hydroxycut dietary supplements, as U.S. health officials warned people to immediately stop using the products, which are made in Oakville.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned dieters and body builders against using Hydroxycut dietary supplements after it received 23 reports linking some of the widely sold products to cases of serious liver damage, including a 19-year-old man who died in 2007.

Iovate Health Sciences, the Oakville company that makes the diet pills, said in a statement that the 2007 death of the teenager was not caused by Hydroxycut. The statement gave no details, but Iovate has agreed to recall 14 Hydroxycut products in the U.S.

Hydroxycut products are not authorized for sale in Canada, but Health Canada said it has received 17 adverse reaction reports associated with Hydroxycut products in Canada.

The reports relate to the cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal and neurological systems, Health Canada said. It has not received reports of liver injury.

"Health Canada is reviewing the situation in Canada and has been in contact with the FDA regarding this matter," the department said in an emailed statement.

"Health Canada will provide Canadians with any new safety information when the review is completed."

Available in grocery stores and pharmacies in the U.S., Hydroxycut is advertised as being made from natural ingredients. At least nine million packages were sold last year, the FDA said.

Dr. Linda Katz of the FDA's food and nutrition division said patients experienced symptoms ranging from jaundice, or yellowing of the skin, to liver failure. One received a transplant and another was placed on a list to await a new liver.

The patients were otherwise healthy and their symptoms began after they started using Hydroxycut, regulators said.

Hydroxycut is used by people trying to shed pounds and by body builders to sharpen their muscles.

Hydroxycut Cleanse and Hoodia products are not affected by the recall.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Weird that hydroxycut was pulled off shelves in Canada...people who make it are based in Canada and sell it in the US.?!!?
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    They pulled it in the US too.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    They pulled it in the US too.

We talked to GNC yesterday and he said its just voluntary right now and that its not mandatory- But that goes for all the Hydroxycut Hardcore and their energy stuff and ignition drinks that they are pulling- which cost more money than the hydroxycut hoodia--
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Isn't this the second time that their products have been in trouble? Weren't they pulling stuff a few years back because it contained an ingredient that is now banned? Sorry, I can't remember what it was called.
    'All natural' doesn't mean that the stuff can't be dangerous. I hope that there are not more people sick and dying over this stuff.
  • bellydancer72
    Options
    This actually scared me because I had been taking it for awhile now (didn't help me). Luckily I gave up on it since it wasn't working, so I quit taking it.
  • cellorocker
    cellorocker Posts: 290
    Options
    Well, this sort of sucks in a way. I was on Hydroxycut, and I was actually losing weight, and I felt it working. I've been using it for two weeks now, and I haven't had any problems, but I'll stop taking it just in case.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    Yes, they had to reformulate it because the FDA banned the use of ephedra in diet aids. Frankly, the ephedra based products worked, but there were too many adverse reactions ... I wonder what's in it now that is causing the trouble?