Age and weight loss?

Options
nanas10
nanas10 Posts: 12 Member
Here I am 56 years old with at least 35 pounds to lose. I have been doing weight watchers and lost 16 pounds. Gained back 5 pounds and can not get it off. I just wonder how tracking your calories is different from the Weight Watchers program. In input and encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• CampbellHendry
    CampbellHendry Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand, weight watchers basically is a calorie counting programme. But instead of calories they simplify everything In to points.

Conting calories is no different. If your finding it hard to lose weight, take a look at your food ratios. Are you taking too much fat/carbs?? Ratios, I find, are very important.

Maybe add in some new exercise too. Any big changes will give your body that kick start it needs to lose weight again! I've seen people on here over 70, so you got a while to go yet until your too old to change for the better!
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have friends on my page that are 55 to 65...they are doing it! just take your time & stick to it. It will happen, some exercise make sure your eating atleast 1200 calories & don't eat more than you should. it will happen. HANG IN THERE!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 years old 40 when I lost the weight (5'7") and lost 20. I told a friend about the site, she's 65 years old (5'1") and she lost those last 15lbs she has been battling sense she was 35 years old.

I don't know anything about WW so I can't help there.

Good luck with your journey.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've had success with Weight Watchers and now with MFP. WW is based on counting calories but it's been converted into a points system. I've found the calorie counting to be very simple on MFP because the work is done for you once you enter the food item. Many systems will work, you must find what works best for you, and then make a committment to stick with it as a life-change,not a temporary fix. I'm 47 and have lost 25 pounds in a little over 3 months by counting calories and exercising. Metabolism is slower but it's worth it to persist in order to be my best. You can do this!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I like the way MFP breaks down the different elements of the food I eat, and that I can set it up the way I want it. An example - I don't eat red meat, in fact don't eat hardly ANY meat so have worried about getting enough protein. Now I can track that and be assured that I am getting enough. and the fact that it is free doesn't hurt!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Well for starters it's FREE! :) I have a friend who was successful with weight watchers. I think it's different just because there's no point system, just tracking calories and the other nutrients that you're interested in. This is a good community of people. You can search for people by city/age for support.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am 40, have lost 80 lbs and contribute that to becoming so much more knowledgeable about nutrition since using MFP. I love this site, the support, the companionship, the tools, etc.. Welcome!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I've never done weight watchers, but I joined MyFitnessPal Aug. 10th or 11th with 40 pounds to lose. I love this program, and I'm amazed that it's been so easy to keep track of calories and exercise. Besides losing 26 pounds, I've lost 7 inches off my waist, gone from size 14 to size 10 (even some size 8's). My husband is very happy with my progress. I'm 59 and feeling great! I do a strength training program on DVD and as much cardio as I can work into my day. I just try to keep moving, and I stay excited. I work out by myself, but I'm still having a blast. I've given away boxes full of clothes, because I'm never going to fit in them again. I keep going to thrift stores to pick up "temporary clothes" to get me by until I get back to where I should be. I'll know I'm there when my tummy's flat. I even printed out some business cards to give friends so they can be losers like me. My doctor was impressed with my weight loss and cholesterol drop (230 total to 137 total) and wanted the website information, too. Almost as soon as I started eating less and exercising, I was able to stop taking Nexium, for acid reflux. This program has been a God-send for me.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I don't know much about weight watchers but this particular program works for me. I'm 54 years old. The weight doesn't come off real easy at this age but if you stick with it you will succeed. It just takes endurance. I wish you the best of luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and I have lost over 42 pounds, mostly on here. I have never done WW. As others have said, this program the is free and it teaches you how to count calories and eat healthy in the real world. Add me as a friend if you want.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and I worked with a RD and use this site to keep on track; I've lost 45 pounds since June. For me seeing what I eat really helps me make good choices, especially with sodium and carbs.
  • blackhawkgirl91
    blackhawkgirl91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and have lost 27lbs in 9 months. WW works very well, but I never had the patience to look up the food items manually in the
    booklet and adjust points for portions. I didn't feel like getting an online subscription simply because of the money, so I came here because it's entirely free. My mom uses WW though and has been very successful with it. MFP just works better for me.
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Over the years I joined WW many times. It was a good program, but to be honest the accountability and support is MUCH better with MFP. I am 59 and have lost 34 lbs so far and am actually enjoying the process!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!