i'll have your back if you have mine!

Options
Hey guys ---

I'm 21 and have been struggling with hypothyroid since I was 10, and as a result my weight has always been higher than I'd like it to be. Once upon a summer, I managed to lose 30 lbs. by working out an hour each morning on the elliptical, putting me at the lowest weight I've ever been as an adult, 163 lbs.

I've since gained the weight back, and then some. I'm still struggling, more than ever, with hypothyroid and I also have a torn ACL right now. I'll be having knee surgery December 22nd. I'm desperate for any help anyone can offer in regards to ways to trying to stay fit while I'm recovering from surgery. I'm currently trying to make a huge lifestyle change, not only in the way of exercising, but also in the way of eating healthier (considering veganism).

I don't want to spend any more of my life heavier than I'd like to be. The way I look on the outside is not the way that I feel on the inside, and I want to fix that.

If anyone has any suggestions or words of encouragement for me, I'm eager to receive them. Thanks!

--- Amanda

Replies

• andersonm3
    Options
    Hi Amanda,

I can see that you are a very passionate person from both speaking with you about these issues and reading your post. Passionate people see what they want and get it somehow, some way. I know you will be able to do this because you seem to have such an appreciation for life and health. I know it feels that the world is weighing down on you, making it close to impossible to stay positive through this....but believe me, you will meet your goals and fight through it.

The surgery is only a small setback even though it seems like a huge deal now. Start off slow, walking or doing short periods of time on the elliptical until your surgery. Use the time when you are unable to exercise after your surgery to prepare yourself mentally for the challenge ahead of you. Pump yourself up, visualize the healthy you that looks on the outside how they feel on the inside. Just because you won't be able to exercise for a considerable amount of time does not mean you cant start losing weight. You can start your weight loss plan by monitoring what is going into your body and the value of what is going into your body. Myfitnesspal is a great tool to guide you through that.

Remember, keep your head up and I've definitely got your back! We all have rough days and we're not perfect (i totally fudged today and way overate and did no exercise). It's about progress, not perfection. Stay positive and call me if you need any support or advice!
  • 08caseyk
    Options
    If you want to be a vegan, it's going to be a hard change. I tried it once awhile back and i just couldn't stick with it. But remember to take vitamins. You'll lack all the vitamins to keep you healthy and feeling well. Just remember its mind over body. If you put it in your head to do, you CAN do it. Good luck and hopefully your surgery goes well. If you want any ideas on meals you can msg me. I've lost 45 lbs in 2 months and i've never felt better
  • andersonm3
    Options
    p.s....I don't know if I told you this but I follow a pretty strict vegan diet as well. Let me know if you have any questions about what to eat!