Breakfast

Options
Need some help with breakfast. Most mornings I leave early and will just grab a Naked/Bolthouse fruit smoothie, a banana, and maybe a wheat mini bagel.

So the mornings I am at home I have no interest in eating those things. This morning I had Grape Nuts (love them), punched in one cup into my food diary (one cup is probably less that what I had) and it was 400 calories!

Other than egg whites, what are some things for breakfast I can eat?

My breakfast before I started my diet/exercise routine (doing P90X) I generally had a quesadilla for breakfast, so that is out of the question!!

Replies

• jambuba
    jambuba Posts: 3
    Options
    Need some help with breakfast. Most mornings I leave early and will just grab a Naked/Bolthouse fruit smoothie, a banana, and maybe a wheat mini bagel.

So the mornings I am at home I have no interest in eating those things. This morning I had Grape Nuts (love them), punched in one cup into my food diary (one cup is probably less that what I had) and it was 400 calories!

My breakfast before I started my diet/exercise routine (doing P90X) I generally had a quesadilla for breakfast, so that is out of the question!!
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1/2 of a whole wheat bagel with 1 Tbs of nut butter on it (Cashew or peanut). It is around 200 calories but keeps me filled up until my morning snack. I sometimes eat a banana with it if I know it is going to be a bit before I can eat again.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Why is a quesadilla out of the question? What did you put on it? Chances are you could probably alter it to make it a healthier version and still be something you like.

I'm really boring and have a whole wheat waffle with peanut butter for breakfast and a banana when I have them.
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Quesadilla for breakfast! I love it!

Actually, you could still have a modified quesidilla for breakfast - get a whole wheat wrap and put some scrambled egg whites in there with some low fat cheese! You could add some vegetables or turkey in there too if you like.

I'm a big fan of oatmeal for breakfast. When I want to add protein, I will have some veggie sausages too. Yogurt and fruit is also a quick and easy breakfast.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Why is a quesadilla out of the question? What did you put on it? Chances are you could probably alter it to make it a healthier version and still be something you like.

I'm really boring and have a whole wheat waffle with peanut butter for breakfast and a banana when I have them.

I agree with that too...why not? Get whole wheat burrito shells and make an egg with low fat cheese and maybe some salsa on it....get creative. Breakfast should be your best meal anyway to get your day going (JMO).
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I alternate between 1.5 cups of Cheerios with 1/2 cup of 1% milk or one cup of oatmeal (cooked) with some golden raisins both are low over all total calories between 200 and 275.
  • pattitricia85
    pattitricia85 Posts: 376
    Options
    i like buckwheat wildberry frozen waffles with a little peanut butter. but most days i eat olad fashioned oatmeal with a sprinkle of craisens and just a pinch of brown sugar. I just started doing P90x and one of the breakfasts is a piece of soy sausage on a whole wheat english muffin and a slice of mozz. cheese, i haven't had that yet but it sounds really good!
  • Alicevillemaire
    Options
    1 english muffin = 110 cal, 2 tablespoons peanut butter -188= 300 cals for breakfast and you can last until lunch!
  • kbeauchesne
    kbeauchesne Posts: 24
    Options

I do an egg with 1/2 slice of cheddar and one slice of thin-sliced honey ham on a whole wheat english muffin for 310 calories. Sometimes on the weekends I'll mix it up with one cup of Total and 1/2 cup of Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk for 173 calories. I will occasionally add 1/2 a 100 calorie pack of Craisins for an extra 50 calories. Another favorite is one packet of Cinnamon Roll oatmeal with 1/2 no sugar added applesauce for 210 calories.

I have successfully lost 11 pounds in 8 weeks using these breakfast ideas combined with other healthy choices for lunch and dinner and regular exercise 4-5 days a week.

Hope this helps and good luck with your weight loss venture!!! :happy:
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    lately for breakfast i've been having oatmeal, cottage cheese or yogurt with a banana
  • WallabyBob
    WallabyBob Posts: 71
    Options
    Here is what I like to have after a solid early morning workout:

-1/2 cup to a cup of organic oatmeal
    - fresh fruit (usually strawberries or blueberries)
    - scoop of whey protein (strawberry flavor)
    - 1 large egg

Mix it all with some water and nuke it for 2 minutes.

Breakfast of champions!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I love Kashi toaster waffles with sugar free syrup. They are my usual Sunday treat. I stick some strawberries or blueberries in with the syrup and microwave to until it's all bubbly. Sometimes I'll put some fat free cool whip on top. Yum!

My Saturday treat is an egg white omlette, with veggies and salsa, just to let you know.
  • jambuba
    jambuba Posts: 3
    Options
    Found some tortillas at the store today that were only 50 calories each. Tried them tonight with fajitas and they taste good, so maybe quesadillas will still be apart of my breakfast of champions! :bigsmile:

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • joeysmuse
    joeysmuse Posts: 87
    Options
    For those who love cereal, like myself, we have started eating Kellogg's Fruit Harvest. It's 110 calories per 3/4 cup with skim milk. I LOVE it. The flake are crunchy with the right amount of sweetness and it has freeze dried strawberries and blue berries. It's a great cereal with a good amount of flavor. On the weekend we have scrambled eggs with laughing cow cheese and turkey bacon in it. I also have whole wheat toast with the dredded butter. I use 3 eggs, 3 peices of turkey bacon, and 2 laughing cow light wedges. I split it with my hubby so the total calorie count is 273 when it boils down it's 1.5 eggs, 1.5 Turkey bacon, 1 Light laughing cow, 1/2 Tbsp country crock with calcium, and 1 piece of bread. I could make it lighter by using light bread but what's 30 calories when I am burning over 1000 a day. Sometimes I make it into an omlet and sometimes I eat it all seperatly. My 13 month old son loves it too.
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This is what I had for breakfast:
    Bared Naked Fit - Vanilla Almond Crunch, 1/4 cup 120 cals
    Kroger's - Carb Master Vanilla Yogurt, 1 container 80 cals
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 small (2-1/2" dia) (approx 4 per lb) 55 cals

I cut up the apple and added it to the mix.
  • fanta014
    fanta014 Posts: 56
    Options
    I usually have rye bread (a Finnish brand called REAL, or Reissumies, or something similar to those - about 80 kcal /slice) with cheese and paprika, or some ham and cottage cheese or something like that. With that I drink a cup of skim milk. That makes about 200 kcal, depending on what I have on the bread. Some other days I have porridge instead, with some strawberry sauce (non-sugared, less than 10 kcal / 100 g). Breakfast like that adds up to less than 200 kcal. Besides, both options are high on fibre so you don't feel hungry so fast :smile:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    On the weekends, I like to treat myself to a fried egg sandwich... I know, sounds evil and calorie ridden, but it's not if you do it right!

Toast one slice of Beefsteak Hearty Rye bread
    Fry one egg in a non-stick skillet with a little Pam... season with a little salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes
    Top toast with one wedge Laughing Cow Light cheese
    Slice bread in half (they are large slices), make a sandwich with the eggs

I usually eat it with some fruit and maybe a glass of skim milk. Keeps me full for HOURS, and the sandwich is only 192 calories!
  • joeysmuse
    joeysmuse Posts: 87
    Options
    On the weekends, I like to treat myself to a fried egg sandwich... I know, sounds evil and calorie ridden, but it's not if you do it right!

Toast one slice of Beefsteak Hearty Rye bread
    Fry one egg in a non-stick skillet with a little Pam... season with a little salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes
    Top toast with one wedge Laughing Cow Light cheese
    Slice bread in half (they are large slices), make a sandwich with the eggs

I usually eat it with some fruit and maybe a glass of skim milk. Keeps me full for HOURS, and the sandwich is only 192 calories!

uuuhgmmmmm :frown: that sounds sooooo good. I LOVE LAUGHING COW CHEESE
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    This is what I had for breakfast:
    Bared Naked Fit - Vanilla Almond Crunch, 1/4 cup 120 cals
    Kroger's - Carb Master Vanilla Yogurt, 1 container 80 cals
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 small (2-1/2" dia) (approx 4 per lb) 55 cals

I cut up the apple and added it to the mix.

Almost identical to what I eat (every morning for the past several months) :laugh:

100g (approx. 1/3 cup) Greek style natural yogurt (3% fat) :80 cals
    50g (approx 1/4 cup) all natural fruit and nut muesli: 178 cals
    1 small apple: 55 cals

total: 313

I cut the apple up and stir it into the mix... mmmm, so good.