Losing lots of weight sensibly, looking for MFP friends!

Options
Sorova
Sorova Posts: 101 Member
I'm brand new to the site and really impressed so far. Most people here seem to have a sensible attitude to weight loss and exercise and I haven't seen foolish fad diet nonsense when browsing the forums. Am I the only one who thinks that most weight loss adverts seem to assume that fat people are morons who will believe anything? "Lose 30 pounds in a week!" Yeah, maybe if you cut off your feet. :noway:

I plan to do this the slow, healthy and effective way: counting calories, making healthy food choices, and exercising--all to create a average calorie deficit of 500-800 per day. I have a lot to lose (about 100 pounds to get to a weight where I feel comfortable) which means a journey of 1.5-2 years at least.

I've tried to lose weight once before, and had success with this exact strategy. I lost 45 pounds in 6 months and felt great. Sadly, life interrupted (as it so often does) and sidetracked me with a big change. Things have settled down and I've recommitted, and now I need to figure out a way to regain that lost progress and lifeproof my healthy habits so I don't fall off the wagon again.

For me, motivation is key and the way I keep motivated is (1) track everything, because I am a giant nerd and I like hard numbers to measure my progress and (2) be part of a community with the same goals and priorities. The blog feature of this site looks awesome and I'm planning to use it, and I'm also hoping to find people here with whom to share successes and setbacks. Together we can keep each other accountable! Well, probably. :laugh:

I like to keep a sense of humour about weight loss, and about everything. I'm 30 and I've lived in several different countries. I'm a gamer and a reader, and I love the outdoors (camping and the like) and I take pride in being a tough broad, as they say. I love languages and travel and all sorts of music. I also love to cook, sometimes.

Happy to meet you all, and good luck to all of us on being better versions of ourselves!

Replies

• robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    welcome! I'm one of those people who lost weight overtime. I had to adjust to getting rid of my favorite foods, and changing my whole life so it took me also 3 years to reach my goal. Slow and steady wins the race.. Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me.
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    You are one the right track. You have the right set of mind to be successful in this. Welcome. Feel free to add me if you wish.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. Welcome! You already have a good attitude to do this the "right" way, so I think you will do just fine. I try to motivate as best I can, feel free to add me.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Good Luck
  • antipanic
    Options
    Add me! Add me! Ha, just that reading your post, I think you could have ghost written it for me. I am trying to do this sensibly - a little bit of everything, but bottom line - no pills, powders or metabolism crushing shortcuts.

Best of luck, and feel free to add me as friend.