Non-caffiene energy/focus boosters?

Options
Hey MFP friends,

I'm a college student and I also work part time, so I'm a pretty busy girl.
Up until recently, I never drank coffee unless it was in a Frappuchino--a treat I have sparingly and not for the caffeine content!
While I don't drink straight, hot coffee, I do LOVE that sweet coffee-and-creamer taste, and since I've been so busy with school lately I find myself drinking iced coffee fairly regularly. If I don't have it, I'm the type that needs to come home and take a mid-afternoon nap to get my focus back. I won't have more than a 16oz cup during one day, but I do NOT want to become dependent on caffeine.

Does anyone know of any caffeine-free alternatives to coffee that boost energy and focus?
I feel like I should have higher energy levels, being as young as I am. Regular exercise and healthier eating has certainly helped, but I still feel like I get fatigued too easily for my age.

Replies

• luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Aww man, I just realized I spelled caffeine wrong in my heading. ): fail
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I didnt even notice the spelling...

but I dont know of anything that gives that nice coffee lift...so Im bumping to see the answers

thanks for asking this
  • h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    Not that I normally watch this but... was home sick yesterday and caught a Dr. Oz show... he covered this exact topic on yesterday's show - check out his website;)
  • luhluhlaura
    Options
    Thanks a lot h2onut! I'll check it out and let you guys know if I find anything interesting :)
  • jinxypinxy
    jinxypinxy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same issue. I used to eat sugar to keep me alert, but that's kinda out the window now!
  • h2onut
    Options
    No problem! I know there were some suggestions that I thought were worth trying but then again, I was a bit out of it yesterday;) I'm at work now so can't check too easily;)
  • luhluhlaura
    Options
    jinxypinxy--I know the feeling! but I find that my energy is much more stable with the LESS sugar I eat...so even though I don't get a sugar high, not having the crash that comes like 15 minutes after is so worth it. crashing is awful :/
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Try vitamin B supplements, it's what's in a lot of energy drinks. However, it's more natural and helps your body create energy. Also make sure you're getting enough iron. Anemia can make you very tired. I noticed when I started taking multivitamins with these, I was feeling a lot more focused and alert. I feel your pain though. Full time student, part time job, and finals are next week. Good luck!

Edit: I'm not advocating energy drinks. In fact I think they're a bad idea. The only time I've had a Red Bull I was so shaky I couldn't do anything, let alone sit still.

Oh, and try to maintain a regular sleep schedule. Difficult I know, but it would help.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Super picky about "energy" type drinks, and I steer clear of Red Bull and the like.

Emergen-C has a ton of vitamins & antioxidants for energy and B's for focus. It dissolves in cold water if you're in a hurry, but tastes better in hot water, like a tea. Acai Berry flavor is my fave, but tangerine or raspberry are tasty too. Found TJ's has it for best price.

I've substituted E-C for coffee in the morning for a year or so and would be lost without it :yawn:
  • dogsetmoi
    Options
    Have you tried yerba mate tea? It has some caffeine, but I don't think as much as coffee. For me, it helps improve my focus without making me jittery or hyper. It's kind of an acquired taste, though. I like it with a little bit of honey and milk.
  • h2onut
    Options
    Yerba mate tea is great. It's kind of an acquired taste, though. I like it with a little bit of honey and milk.

This was definitely one of the recommendations on Dr. Oz yesterday!! The other was some kind of chocolate concoction (sounded yummy) plus WATER (a pitcher filled with lemons and oranges) - not sure that's enough to kick start me but the others may do the trick!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Almonds are brain food. As are tuna and salmon.

I've heard that an apple eaten first thing in the morning, following a glass of cold water, has the same effect as coffee...
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Adderall. It should be pretty available on a college campus. Ha!

I thought I should add some real answer in here... I know it seems counterproductive, but as I cut back on coffee and switched to teas, I felt a lot more energy. I also need to realize that carbs in the morning make me fuller all day and give me a great energy boost. GL!
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    So i completely elliminated my coffee with 2 bottles of water and a lemon right when you wake up. Drink it at room temp and it cleans your system out and you have energy for the whole day. I normally put one bottle of water in a cup or big bottle with half a lemon and then just add the second half when you add your second bottle of water. Takes a couple days to get used to but now if i miss a day i am craving and missing my lemon water. :) hope this helps
  • theboxer
    Options
    Hi hun, littlesis is on the right idea! IF you lacking in Vitamin B or Iron, that 'could' be the reason while you might feel a little sluggish but I would need more information. You are also right in saying that less sugar is better so that you avoid those insulin spikes. Coffee loses its caffeine affects after drinking it for more than 3-4 days in a row, usually people just drink coffee because it tastes good when you mix it with certain things. creamer. flavours, etc..

Without knowing more, I would have to just 'guess' that your diet would also be a contributing factor. Aside from getting a 'quick-fix' on here, see your doctor. He will know you better than anyone and will probably have some advice for you. You dont need pills, just help understanding :)

If you need some help perhaps I can offer you some help with Diet and Nutrition and Physical fitness :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Huperzine A
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Ginseng
  • Commander6666
    Commander6666 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Try NOX 360.
  • chatdude
    Options
    My coworker doesn't like the gitters from caffeine but hes ok with the caffeine extract found in Zip Fizz. Swears by it and it has a bunch of vitamins in it too. And little to no sugar which is a big difference from other energy drinks.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I've heard from quite a few people that apples are supposed to be great pick-me-ups! Something in the skin I believe.

I also found this: http://www.ediets.com/news/NewsArticle.jsp?componentPath=&itemType=&start=1&id=999999933#article