Woman seeking new workout shoes

Options
I need a new pair of workout shoes. I've had a pair of Reebok Walkfit for years that i loved, but I've literally worn through the sole. My family offered to get me a new pair for Christmas and I'm looking at my options.
I have knee and ankle problems, so I need a lot of support and cushioning. My workout is circuit training and a lot of Zumba and, when the weather warms up, I'll be walking on the street (really rough asphalt).
Anyone have suggestions for favorite brands/styles?

Replies

• mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Love my Asics. I had an old pair of tennis shoes and they hurt my feet. When I got these I wondered what I was waiting for!
  • aspen1377
    aspen1377 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    love my new Under Armour ones....also have a pair of Asics....very comfortable!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    As an alternative, take a look at something less "supportive"...

I have suffered from foot/knee/hip pain for decades, and I am in love with my Vibram 5-finger shoes! rather than keeping the foot immobile, it allows your feet and ankles to actually do the moving and flexing that they are designed to do.

It did take a few months for me to be really comfortable in them, but my foot flexibility is much better, and I am able to walk for significantly longer periods of time now.
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Earthshoes!!! Love them. They feature "negative heel technology" which slightly slopes you back, taking tremendous pressure off your feet as well as other joints. I have both sneakers and nurse's shoe by them and will never wear anything else when on my feet for extended periods!
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Kswiss tubes....best ever and really cute
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you're having pain when you are exercising, it would be really worth going to a good sports shoe shop and getting advice on what will suit your food and your exercise.
    Personally I love my Nikes, I have a very weird and wide right food (after some injuries) and find these work best for me. But, they probably won't be best for you - you can't tell that without trying them on.
  • Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love sacuonys. They feel like you have pillows in your shoes.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I buy shoes for comfort vs. my wife who buys shoes for style. I bought an ugly pair of Swiss sneakers, that are unbelievable; best running, walking shoes I've ever owned. Just try on lots of pairs and take your time deciding. You should replace your workout shoes a lot more often, than it's sounds like you have been. The best shoes for one, may not be the best pair for another.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    What she said (except for the cute part). Mine are hideous looking, with neon blue laces. But, they are super comfortable.
  • etcstreit
    etcstreit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend being fitted for a pair of shoes. I'm not sure where you live but Fleet Feet stores are one of the best in my opinion. I've been in Saucony Ride 4 for the past 3 years (not the same pair - a new pair each year) :smile: .
  • nekolita
    Options
    under armor :3
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What she said (except for the cute part). Mine are hideous looking, with neon blue laces. But, they are super comfortable.
    lol...mine are cute
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    I need a new pair of workout shoes. I've had a pair of Reebok Walkfit for years that i loved, but I've literally worn through the sole. My family offered to get me a new pair for Christmas and I'm looking at my options.
    I have knee and ankle problems, so I need a lot of support and cushioning. My workout is circuit training and a lot of Zumba and, when the weather warms up, I'll be walking on the street (really rough asphalt).
    Anyone have suggestions for favorite brands/styles?
    My wife loves her Saucony Kinvara that we picked up a few months ago. Uses them daily and they are holding up well. Note that she uses them for eliptical/treadmill/strength type workouts, not a P90X type workout. A cross training type workout probably requires more side support. These offer great arch support and are crazy lightweight.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Totally agree on the Vibram Five-Fingers. Best shoes ever. I hate wearing anything else. And many people with hip, knee, calf, ankle and foot issues report improvements with them.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you have a running store near you, I'd visit there. I was having issues with a toe feeling kind of numb, and then extreme pain, after about 40 minutes of walking. I saw a podiatrist to rule out any serious problems and they fitted me for a custom orthotic. I was lucky because all I will have to pay is the $40 deductible and my insurance will cover the rest. The doc recommended a couple of running shoe places in town to get a proper fit after I get the orthotic. Good luck!