When losing over 100 lbs

Options
To be considered "healthy" I need to lose 120 lbs for my height! For those of you who have lost 100 lbs or any large amount please share how you stay motivated, I do this on again off again thing because I get tired of doing it. I know it's about willpower and such but this time I want to keep losing and NEVER gain this stupid weight back! I have had alot of health issues such as preeclampsia while pregnant which caused a HUGE weight gain, 3 months after giving birth I was diagnosed with a bad thyroid. I also have PCOS and my doctor tells me all these factors have contributed to my weight and constant weight gain. I know the donuts and hambugers I consumed did not help me at all. I want to know how you stay motivated, I have several reasons, for my health of course, for my daughter who is now 2 and I wish to be around "healthy" for every moment in her life, and several other motivators! Like I said I just fall off track most of the time and this time I want it to be different since I have so much to lose please share your motivators! Thanks!!

Replies

• carriedavis77
    carriedavis77 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hello there! :) Feel free to add me! I'm new to this site but have been on my weight loss journey for a year and nine months and am happy to report that I have lost 120lbs so far! It is ABSOLUTELY possible! :) I have another 25lbs to lose before I hit my doctor's suggested "healthy goal weight" of 180. These last pounds are hard to get rid of... kind of been on a long term plateu for about 3 months now... havent lost very much... but havent gained either :)

I use many things to help me keep motivated... I'm a Facebook addict so I've filled my "friends list" and "page likes" with other like minded people... I find this helps me to stay constantly reminded of my goal. :) I also use the gym and the awesome girls I've met there to keep me motivated. There's a real sense of pride in not only the other girls working out but in the instructors themselves! I try to keep a 5-6 day schedule of gym time. It was hard to get used to at first but it's a way of life for me now.

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE watching the Biggest Loser on TV and following their blogs online. I find HUGE motivation watchign even reruns of the show.

Another thing I do is I find an old picture from time to time... and do a comparison so I can see a before /after... that way I remind myself to NEVER go back :) Feel free to check out my blog on here, it gives you more details of my journey :)
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    At one time I had lost 76 lbs. I know it's not 100 but it was still tough. (I stopped coming to the site for a few months and ended up gaining half of it back - ick). What kept me motivated through losing 76 lbs was doing stuff I enjoyed. If you find an exercise that you really like doing then that helps SO MUCH! Also, don't deprive yourself 100% of the time. Sometimes a splurge every once in a while is a better way then trying to go 100% healthy eating over night. I know my hardest time as when I "forgot" that it was ok to splurge every once in a while and I just got to feeling overly deprived. At the end there most of my food was veggies and I lived off of cabbage soup most days. I just got to where I didn't even want to eat healthy anymore. Slow change is better and more sustainable. :)
  • StacySkinny
    Options

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE watching the Biggest Loser on TV and following their blogs online. I find HUGE motivation watchign even reruns of the show.

I'm the exact same way. TBL has helped motivate me and keep me going. All the past seasons are live streaming on Netflix right now and that is something I'm very grateful for. Before that I was watching Biggest Loser on Youtube (you can find past seasons of Australian's version of the Biggest Loser there).
  • dropofhope
    Options
    I have over 100 pounds to lose too...My advise would be to stop thinking about that huge 120 number and think about each day as it comes. Plan out your food and exercise of course, but if you think about 120 every time you get on the scale you will drive yourself mad!

I try not to think or say diet, I think and say that I have created a wellness program for myself. I want to be well. So that includes, eating better, exercise, stretching and yoga even though it doesn't burn that many colories, walking outside and massages too...I just want to be really kind to my body.

Good luck!
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can add me to your friends list, if you want...I have lost 200 lbs and still have approx. 80 or 90 to go...We need to stick together in order to fulfill our journey's...
  • penny5
    penny5 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have about 80lbs to lose so I would love to do this with people in similar situations. I have also went up and down with losing weight and "gave up" for awhile and now I want to keep plugging away slowly but surely. I think I expect to see results instantly and I need to be reminded to be persistant :smile: I will send you a friend request. If anyone else would like to friend me on here I would appreciate the support and of course I would support you as well!
  • Jesusinme4life
    Jesusinme4life Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have to lose almost 200 pounds to be in the high range of considered healthy. I lost 100 pounds 6 years ago but gained it all back with 2 pregnancies and depression. I am just looking at it as this is what I need to do for myself and my family. Whenever I want that candy, soda, or other junk I ask myself is it worth after I am working hard in my workouts to take off the weight. I also allow myself a treat day here and there. I agree that we can't look at the large amount we need to lose but break it into smaller amounts, say even 5 pounds at a time. I am taking it at the 2 pounds a week I am trying to lose. I want to take it off slow because they say the success is higher at keeping it off that way. We are already friends and I will do all I can to support and encourage you. Anyone else here who would like to add me as a friend please go ahead. We need to support one another on this journey:smile:
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me when I get discouraged is to look back at where I was. For example, I remember back in early June, I was so happy to get to 290. I mean, I was really happy about that at the time! I look at how far I've come since then. I also think about what I want in the future. I want to run a 10K this spring, and I have a bunch of clothes that I'm looking forward to getting back into. I also read the Success Stories & Motivation thread here--there's always something good!
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't lost over 100 lbs *YET* but I am certainly planning on doing it! I've lost 18 so far and have about 110 to go! I can't answer your staying motivated question, cause I am wondering the same thing myself! But I firmly believe it CAN and WILL be done!

You can friend me if you like! :)
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've lost 92 so far. My short answer is:

Don't rely on motivation. It is fleeting. Instead, create some fairly simple healthy habits by committing to them for 30-60 days and making them non-negotiable. Habits will carry you when motivation is gone. When motivation is high, create more good habits and practice destroying (better yet, replacing) the bad habits.

Motivation has already proven that it will fail you, or you wouldn't be 120 pounds overweight to begin with.
    Lifestyle is the culmination of the habits you live by, so focus on that.

Also, the only pound that matters is the next one.
  • Judyhoo
    Options
    Regarding your thyroid and weight issues, I have found the book, "Why to I still have thyroid issues when my lab test are normal" by Dr. Kharrazian to be an eye opener. You might want to check it out.
  • crystaldkelley
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing. Please feel free to add me.
    A little history about myself to explain why I was an obese child and to the point I am now, other than the explained health problems. I was raised in a very very low income home where state benefits were the only thing that kept us alive. Yes im referring to food stamps, unfortuntaly unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food, so my family got the most bang for our buck so to speak. I also had a father who was non exsistant and a mother who was also really never home, so at a young age i turned to food! It was really the only thing I had to depend on, no matter what it was healthy or not I could depend on food to be there. I know this is my number one issue still today, I have alot I need to work on but im not really sure how too. I find this site helps me open up more so then to my family and friends. I try to be strong and repress my issues so that it doesnt bother me, now ive repressed them so long I don't know how to even deal with them, this might be TMI but im really needing suggestions as to how to deal with this so that I can move on and live healthy, and futher more not turn to food as comfort!
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I have 98 more lbs to lose...Every pound has been a struggle. I would say that the easiest thing for me is to take it day by day. Every day is a small victory and it counts toward the big goal. You can't think about the big number. Just think about each day that will get you to it. I wish u the best of luck!!
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I want to reiterate what carriedavis77 said. I've lost over 85 lbs. I have 7 more to go and I'll reach my ultimate goal. :) I've been losing since Feb. 14. i gotta say, I've done what carriedavis77 has done --- I've filled my FB with weight loss journey "like" pages -- Beachbody coaches, Turbo Fire pages, etc. So when I log on to FB to goof off, I see tons of info about fitness and healthy eating. All the magazines I buy now are fitness or healthy eating related.... all the books I read... most of the shows I watch (Biggest Loser, Dr. Oz, I Used to Be Fat), I love logging on to MFP EVERY DAY so I stay connected and it pumps me up before I workout. I see all these other posts from ppl about what exercise they did, how much water they've already had today and it makes me look at myself --- "what have I done today?"

So all this to say... I eat, breathe and drink fitness and healthy eating. It stays on my mind. The old Amy would say/think "I'm the ONLY one who has to sacrifice just to lose a wimpy 2 lbs.... not worth it. That girl stays skinny and she eats pizza." Well, looking at all this media and seeing others "sacrifice" proves to me - I'm NOT the only one. Everyone that puts health at the top of their priority list - sacrifices and works hard! And it's worth it!!! SO WORTH IT!
    Just keep logging on - stay connected every day and read every day -- it'll fill your mind with positive information and will let you let go of bad habits to where you WON'T WANT to go back. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Mickyboo1
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like. I'm done 101.8 lbs.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing. Please feel free to add me.
    A little history about myself to explain why I was an obese child and to the point I am now, other than the explained health problems. I was raised in a very very low income home where state benefits were the only thing that kept us alive. Yes im referring to food stamps, unfortuntaly unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food, so my family got the most bang for our buck so to speak. I also had a father who was non exsistant and a mother who was also really never home, so at a young age i turned to food! It was really the only thing I had to depend on, no matter what it was healthy or not I could depend on food to be there. I know this is my number one issue still today, I have alot I need to work on but im not really sure how too. I find this site helps me open up more so then to my family and friends. I try to be strong and repress my issues so that it doesnt bother me, now ive repressed them so long I don't know how to even deal with them, this might be TMI but im really needing suggestions as to how to deal with this so that I can move on and live healthy, and futher more not turn to food as comfort!

Wow, I think you've basically just described my childhood. Crazy accurate! I would also add that my mom was very young when she had me, so she didn't really know how to take care of us kids other than giving us junk food to quiet us. She was really just a kid herself so I can't be too angry at her for feeding me to the point where I weighed 300 lbs by the time I started high school.

As for your struggles, I know them better than I can say. Know that I'm here if you want to talk. :)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Welcome and I hope you find as much support and encouragement on here as I have, in addition to making use of the excellent tool this website provides!

Since you wanted to hear from some people who have had success losing a lot of weight, here's what I tell people who ask me...

There was no secret to how I got healthy - I just ate nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drank lots of water, and moved my body.

Here are some of the tips I give people when they ask for my advice based on what worked for me:

1) The quality of your calories - whether 1200 or 2000 - really does matter, not only in how it impacts weight loss, but how it impacts your overall health. Filling your body with NUTRITIOUS foods is just as important (if not more so) than just staying within your calorie goals.

2) Find a kind of exercise you enjoy and do that until you build the habit of exercising because you are less likely to skip working out if it is something you enjoy. Then start incorporating new things - you not only will work new muscles, but you may find new things you enjoy.

3) Eliminate temptation. If you are an emotional eater, don't keep junk food around. If it isn't available, you're less likely to binge on it.

4) Indulge cravings... sensibly. If you are dying for chocolate, have some, BUT... try to find the healthiest option (for example, one small square of dark chocolate, or make some hot cocoa with some milk or almond milk, cocoa powder, and stevia, which is a natural no-calorie sweetener) and keep the portion small. If you completely deprive yourself, you're going to binge. If you are sensible about things, you won't feel deprived.

5) Drink lots of water. It helps in so many areas. Yes, it does help with weight loss, but it also helps your body function better, flushes out excess sodium, keeps you feeling full longer, and the list goes on and on.

6) Don't skip meals! Eat breakfast in the morning to fuel your body and get your metabolism going. Have a mid morning snack (fruit or nuts are good, or maybe some yogurt). Have a sensible lunch. Have a mid-afternoon snack (I am a huge fan of baby carrots and will eat several servings a day - they are so crunchy that they are really satisfying). Eat a nutritious dinner in a sensible portion. Don't go for seconds. Have a glass of water before and after and then wait 20 minutes after you are done eating. If you are still hungry, have a piece of fruit or some extra veggies.

7) Don't give up! If you stumble or mess up one meal, one day, or even for a whole week, just start over.

8) Listen to MFP. If it gives you a calorie goal that is a lot higher than other people's - LET IT! A heavier body requires more calories to function and MFP will give you the deficit you need to lose weight steadily and in a healthy manner (not more than 2 lbs/week). Don't try to eat 1200 calories if MFP recommends more (including at least a decent chunk of your exercise calories) unless specifically advised (and monitored) by a doctor. That isn't enough for most people and you can't get adequate nutrition on it.

9) This is the motto I go by:
    EVERY CHOICE YOU MAKE ABOUT WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY AND HOW YOU MOVE YOUR BODY WILL EITHER PUT YOU ONE STEP CLOSER TO GOOD HEALTH OR ONE STEP FURTHER AWAY.

I hope this helps!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I knew coming into this that everyone hits plateaus and to not stop my diet when I hit one, that was always my problem before..dieting is great when u see the pounds flying off, but when there nothing, for weeks, its a little discouraging. U just have to remind urself that it will all come off eventually, but the only way to get there is to continue, not to backtrack. I also find it very helpful to log in every single day...seein every 5days a higher number on my number of days logged in, at first it was only 5days, not a big deal, but now it remind me that I have been doing this everyday for 9months, and why stop now?

also, piece of advice from seeing some of my friends diet adventures...just cuz u have a bad eating day, doesn't mean u should quit...just keep with it..don't deprive urself of the things u love, work them in, find healthier versions even. For me with my ocd kind of nature I fell in love with mfp because I hated seeing red numbers and hated seeing black numbers for the vitamins, so I learned quickly what foods have the highest vitamins, lowest sodiums, etc. Seeing what each food items has and learning over the past 9months, I've gradually switched to whole wheats, sugar free, sodium free, cleaner, fresher, more natural items and my cart at the store is complertely different now..make little changes as u go along and eventually it will be like u never were 120lbs overweight because u have changed ur minds opinion towards food. If I wanted to switch back to being unhealthy it would be a pain cuz id have to replace evry single item in my cupboard; I've switched brands/varieties, etc on every single canned good, I've got rid of all my preboxed ready to make foods, switched everything from pancake mix down to crackers..losing motivation isn't an option at this point cuz if I decided to pig out id grab a bunch of carrots or something (and then worry about my calorie overage due to my veggie choice lol)