Need help founding out how many calories I burn in a day.

Options
I'm new here so I have no idea if this is the right place to post this question but please bear with me :)

I've done my own research, but it just doesn't seem right. I work in a home improvement store & i'm on my feet for the most part of my shift. So I work 8-9 hours (walking around the entire store constantly & standing for 20 minutes at a time) then take a fifteen minute break every couple of hours and take an hour lunch.
It said I burned 1,585.
If that were the case, i'd be already losing a ton of weight without changing a thing right? Please help in confirming this or not.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    MFP asks about your daily activities - in your case I'd pick "active".
    Go back to your goals and check this, then see what MFP recommends.

And remember that this number accounts for the calories needed for basic body functions (like breathing, heart beating, blood pumping, digestion etc) before it even gets to walking, talking working etc.
  • Asher213
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a heart rate monitor. Only bought mine last week but the calorie readings I am getting on the HRM are very different to what MFP says I have burned!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    HRM's are only accurate for doing cardio exercise (but I do recommend one. I have one and I love it).

Set your activity level as active, and don't log any of your work as exercise. Give it about a month to see if it works. If it is not working, re-evaluate then. Good luck!
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I'd say go with "Lightly Active" - I'm not sure why people are suggesting you list "Active"

Here's the description for Lightly Active - Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)

My Home > Goals > Lightly Activity (I have no idea what you put in before)

I never count day to day stuff.. I just figure that whatever activity level I choose already includes it. If nothing else, it's bonus calories you're burning.
  • SPACEFART
    SPACEFART Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! :) I'm just afraid it will give me more leeway for calorie consumption.
  • SPACEFART
    Options
    That seems like a smarter plan haha thank you!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I'd say go with "Lightly Active" - I'm not sure why people are suggesting you list "Active"

Here's the description for Lightly Active - Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)

My Home > Goals > Lightly Activity (I have no idea what you put in before)

I never count day to day stuff.. I just figure that whatever activity level I choose already includes it. If nothing else, it's bonus calories you're burning.

Agree...I mis-typed. :embarassed:
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    yep, i'd say set your activity level at lightly active (which does not include any 'formal' workouts/exercise) and decide what your weight loss goals are (1 or 2lbs a week). then log your workouts. with the workouts included on any specific day, your calories allotted will go up (which is a good thing!).

if you really want to know how many calories you are burning each day (rather than an overall estimate), you'd need a BodyBugg, BodyMedia Fit, or Fitbit device. you can also get a HRM to gauge how many calories you are burning per workout.

good luck with your goals!
  • SPACEFART
    Options
    yep, i'd say set your activity level at lightly active (which does not include any 'formal' workouts/exercise) and decide what your weight loss goals are (1 or 2lbs a week). then log your workouts. with the workouts included on any specific day, your calories allotted will go up (which is a good thing!).

if you really want to know how many calories you are burning each day (rather than an overall estimate), you'd need a BodyBugg, BodyMedia Fit, or Fitbit device. you can also get a HRM to gauge how many calories you are burning per workout.

I'll find out what a BodyBugg and fitbit device are and thank you for the luck :)
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options

Yup, a BodyMedia Fit of BodyBugg is the best way to find out your TDEE. I just started using a BodyMedia Fit about a month ago and turns out MFP underestimated my TDEE... It says my TDEE was about 1700 and it's actually about 2300 and that is without exercise. Good luck!
  • jessluvscrossfit
    jessluvscrossfit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would definately get a HRM, the Polar FT7 is what I have and well worth the money. They say that exercise is what you wouldn't normally do everyday. Even if you work and are on your feet all day, you do it everyday and your body gets used to it so you don't burn those calories like you would if you went into the gym and just busted it up. It's different, so maybe add a few things into your routine daily that you don't normally do everyday and see how that works!
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    From what I've read most BMR calculators are within 10% accuracy for most people. UNTIL you start figuring activity level. I would assume you are sedentary and everything else is just a bonus. Over estimate calories in, and under estimate calories out. Don't forget to subtract your hourly BMR from your calories out as you would have burned these calories sitting on the couch.

So for instance if you have a daily BMR of 1900 calories. 90% is 1710, that's 71.25 calories per hour you burn doing nothing.