Gentle workouts for TRUE beginners! I'm sooo clumsy! Please

Options
So.. I've been sedentary for so long it's driving me nuts.. and my lower back sprain is just starting to feel better. I live in an upstairs apartment, have no equipment, and walking in this neighborhood is not a possibility. Does anyone have any suggestions for some light stretching, training or movement? Like, imagine your Grandma came to you and said, "Please help me design a workout." But she also was prone to dropping things, breaking herself, or accidental fires. What would you tell her? Thank you so much in advance!! :)

Replies

• evilgirlie
    evilgirlie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues...except for the upstairs apartment. :) I am just starting out myself and I have been walking back and forth in my apt. My cats think I am crazy. LOL. I have also started the Lisa Sansone walking programs that are available on my on demand. Walking in pretty much all I can do right now along with really light weights.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking videos are designed for walking indoors, in small spaces, and have simple and easy to follow routines. She has walks for beginners to advanced and ranging from 1 mile to more. Yoga videos or classes or swimming (if a pool/YMCA nearby)may also be helpful. If it doesn't bother your neighbors, you might walk up and down the stairs to your apartment for increasing periods of time, always beginning and ending with simple stretches (the kind you probably did in gym class at one time). Also, concentrate on deep breathing (in through the nose and blow out pursed lips) during exercise to help with relaxation and oxygen flow.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    do you have access to a pool at all?

also, try some workout DVDs! i like the 30 Day Shred but it nearly killed me the first time i did it...
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would not consider 30 day shred "gentle", but I do think a pool routine would be safer in case of accidental fires! :smokin:
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    what about walking your stairs in the apartment building? - holding the handrail of course :)
  • Evanstl
    Evanstl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sanstone's Walk about the pounds are good and gentle. There is a 15 min, 30 min, and 45 min workout. I would try that
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    you can try power 90's sculpt portion for weight lifting. the walking video sounds fantastic for cardio.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Practise the trailing hand technique, and use those stairs
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If you have the cash, id say get yourself a decent exercise bike, almost impossible to fall off, you dont have to pick it up, and the only thing that you'll burn are calories :D
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds and Pilates.