Frozen Okra?

Options
Who eats this?!

And in what way?

I understand it is a southern staple, but I think that's when it's fresh...

I'm not a texture person (as in they don't bother me), but this is by far the grossest texture I've ever encountered with a food! It's like snot! I wish I had taken pictures. I bought pictsweet brand and boiled as directed. It was so awkward (and not even flavorful...) to eat plain, and not having any food in my house, I just made gravy and poured it over it because I figured I needed something that had a texture somewhat consistent with the okra...could not finish, and I so rarely waste food.

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I have only ever had it fried. Anything that is battered and fried can taste good, but I know what you mean about the sliminess. I live in Georgia and people down here love their fried okra.
  • BrendaPetersen
    BrendaPetersen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat it but you have to watch how you cook it because it can go slimey on ya. But even if it does I like it just nuked till warm
  • oftheearth
    oftheearth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So, is there a way to cook it (besides fried), that won't be slimy?
  • oftheearth
    oftheearth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I boiled it according to the directions.
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas and I love okra - usually tomatoes and okra. I can't imagine just boiling it 'cause that would make it slimy. It cooks quickly so you have to find a recipe that does not require too much cooking time.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Hot pickled, in gumbo, fried, stewed with tomatoes..
    I love 'em.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    The only time I eat Okra is when I cook seafood gumbo. I throw in the okra when I am finishing up on making the rue.