Inexpensive Recipes?

Options
Anyone have inexpensive recipes to share? I'm a college student and would love to find recipes that are cheap and healthy, or can be turned into several meals!
Thanks!

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Beans (dried) are cheap and go a long way... chili.. bean soup, baked beans....
    Rice if you can catch a BIG bag (25lb or 50lb) on for $20 you've got a lot of eating...
    Eggs - boil 'em up they make great portable snacks for a week once hard-boiled

Buy in bulk when you can, buy the least processed forms of everything you can to keep the most money in your pockets.
    Chicken goes a long way, roast a whole one dry in a roast pan low and slow (325 for 5 or 6 hours) it'll be falling off the bones and you can take the shredded meat to pre-measured containers for tossing on top of a salad or into an omelet etc.
  • dat5053
    dat5053 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm also a college student and i'm broke so I have found a bunch of good recipes. This one is my favorite.
    Chicken Taco Bowls
    2 chicken breasts
    1 cup brown rice
    1 can black beans
    Salsa
    1 bag frozen corn
    hot sauce/ chili powder

Bake the chicken (marinade it in hot sauce if you like spicy stuff) and shred it up and cook the rice. Throw everything together in a big frying pan till everything is hot. Add hot sauce, salsa and chili powder to taste. You can also add gucamole and fat-free sour cream and cheese to it. I make this and it lasts me for lunch a whole week. It's good to freeze for later too.
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Tuna = make sandwiches, rollups and salads
    Bags of carrots+cabbage=coleslaw, stir fry, soups
    Chicken, whole(roasted or crockpot)=several meals, broth, wraps, soup, stir fry, salads, chili, burritos, sandwiches
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Bump for tomorrow...

I have a few I can share, but I gotta get out my recipe box! They aren't all necessarily low cal, but they are all def budget and refrigerator friendly!
  • andforpoise
    Options
    Ask for a slow cooker and the company's coming healthy slow cooker meals cookbook for Christmas - seriously, do it! :P I generally end up eating what I make for a week's worth of dinners and then freezing the rest with a slow cooker meal. College kid's dream if you ask me (I am a student as well). My favourite recipe so far is the African Sweet Potato Stew... really yummy when it's cold out! It's only got 198 cals per 250ml serving... pretty good if you ask me :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    bumping...i now need cheap recipes also...hubby got laid off last night
  • ashleybr1980
    ashleybr1980 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Take a look at http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/. She lists the cost per serving as well as the full meal total. I was able to get alot of tasty recipes from this site that were not only easy to cook but didn't cost much at all. Enjoy!
  • jyls
    jyls Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump