Knee problems make it hard to work out. Suggestions?

Options
I've had one surgery on my right knee (weird, one of a kind, solid bursitis issue), and since recovering from that, my left kneecap began to dislocate. I was told I'd need surgery for it a couple years ago, but I keep putting it off, and had to quit ballet because I just couldn't bring myself to dance through the pain anymore, and i couldn't take a six month setback period to recover from surgery.

My question is, how can I hit the gym without it hurting? I've tried everything. I don't run, I go on the elliptical. But even that hurts. My leg muscles also bulk up really easily, when I'm trying to slim them down. Is there any way I can both strengthen my knees so they don't hurt, while also not getting bulky hamstrings and quads? When I was in physical therapy before, I HATED my thighs, because they got so disgustingly big and muscular. I don't want that to happen again.

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have this as an option at your gym but Aqua workouts are loads of fun and hard work but don't bother your joints near the same as land workouts.

Aqua Pilates
    Aqua Zumba
    Aqua Cardio classes... those are just a few that I'm involved in and loving them all! Most think water aerobics is not hard work, but with the water resistance it's a hard workout but doesn't bother your joints so it doesn't feel hard on your body.

Perhaps there's a community pool you can use or a PT that has pool access?

Here's to finding something that works for you!:drinker:
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Swimming? Cycling... You won't get big legs. And besides... you probably need some bulk around the joints to support them... won't be obvious to you either if you strengthen up those joints. Why not speak to your doctor for advice and maybe a physiotherapist?
  • MissMizzy
    Options
    Thanks! I'll see if I can find some water workout classes to go to. I haven't really swam since I was about ten...but maybe I won't make a complete fool of myself doing laps. Biking still hurts my knees, actually, after about ten minutes of it. And I'm scared to go back to the doctor, because I don't want to go through another knee surgery, which I know they're going to say that I need, but I just can't afford going to a doctor or PT right now.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Boxing. It's great cardio & good for people with busted knees :smile:
  • MissMizzy
    Options
    Boxing. It's great cardio & good for people with busted knees :smile:

Sounds like so much fun, too! Will def. try to find a class.
  • lizjames1971
    Options
    Swimming!! Gradually build up to squatting etc under trainer guidance if you can!!!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Bump. I need to know the answers to this too. :) Good question!
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Yes I was also going to suggest boxing/kickboxing. I would say I am in pretty good shape but I tried the P90x Kenpo video and I was SHOCKED that I was sore in my arms the next day from all the punching. I do weights and stuff, but the punching made my muscles sore! It must be a great workout.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest if biking (spin bike perhaps) is hurting your knees, you probably have the seat height wrong.

Even with those with problems, it usually doesn't cause much problem. The spin bike instructor had just a clean up surgery in his knee, back after 10 days off. And he said while it still hurt for other daily activities, the class did not, even though he took it easy.

Keeping the spin speed up, and the tension down helps, and having some tension needed.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Is there any way I can both strengthen my knees so they don't hurt, while also not getting bulky hamstrings and quads? When I was in physical therapy before, I HATED my thighs, because they got so disgustingly big and muscular. I don't want that to happen again.
    What's more important, being fit and pain free or having "disgustingly" muscular thighs?

If you want them to be slimmer, you could drop some body fat.

Believe me, to have bulky thighs if you have a low body fat % would take far more hard work and dedication to strength training than any physio would recommend just to make you fit and strong.
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Some gyms have cycle machines that you cycle with your arms instead of legs so you still get a great cardio workout
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've never had knee surgery, but it runs in my family a lot. I have bad knee pain that's worse in my left knee, but with inserts hurts my right sometimes too. I find that yoga and pilates strengthens and lengthens the muscles and decreases pain. Also the more I lift on my calves, hamstrings, quads, and thighs, the less pain I notice. Overall stretching and rolling the side of your legs (I would look up more specific instructions, or I could tell you how I do it) on a foam roller helps a great amount.The Northwest cold wet weather doesn't help either. I find it hurts when I'm outside. I would suggest working out inside more if yours is similar. I also try to cross my legs less and a few other dumb, but seeemingly helpful tricks.
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have this as an option at your gym but Aqua workouts are loads of fun and hard work but don't bother your joints near the same as land workouts.

Aqua Pilates
    Aqua Zumba
    Aqua Cardio classes... those are just a few that I'm involved in and loving them all! Most think water aerobics is not hard work, but with the water resistance it's a hard workout but doesn't bother your joints so it doesn't feel hard on your body.

Perhaps there's a community pool you can use or a PT that has pool access?

Here's to finding something that works for you!:drinker:

Absolutely agreed. I LOVED aqua aerobics. It works your body with great resistance, but the body pain is at a minimum.
    I'd suggest if biking (spin bike perhaps) is hurting your knees, you probably have the seat height wrong.

Even with those with problems, it usually doesn't cause much problem. The spin bike instructor had just a clean up surgery in his knee, back after 10 days off. And he said while it still hurt for other daily activities, the class did not, even though he took it easy.

Keeping the spin speed up, and the tension down helps, and having some tension needed.

Weak muscles around your knees will make them hurt when you're using a spinning machine at any height. I've worked with personal trainers, it's a matter of building up those muscles to support your knee joint.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the aqua exercise suggestions. My gym has a graduated depth pool. Shallow end = higher heart rate; deeper = more resistance and strengthening. Some pools have deep water running as well. If you are not a great swimmer, try using a kick board and/or fins (if it doesn't bother the knee). You can also use kick boards or foam noodles for sit-ups/crunches in the pool. Good luck.
  • MissMizzy
    Options
    Is there any way I can both strengthen my knees so they don't hurt, while also not getting bulky hamstrings and quads? When I was in physical therapy before, I HATED my thighs, because they got so disgustingly big and muscular. I don't want that to happen again.
    What's more important, being fit and pain free or having "disgustingly" muscular thighs?

If you want them to be slimmer, you could drop some body fat.

Believe me, to have bulky thighs if you have a low body fat % would take far more hard work and dedication to strength training than any physio would recommend just to make you fit and strong.

Actually, I AM working on dropping body fat. That's why I'm on MFP.

The issue that I think you're not understanding is that I was a dancer for my entire life, and I've had an eating disordered mindset for years. I don't want bulky thighs, and I'm looking for suggestions that will strengthen without bulking. I just bulk up in my quads and hamstrings really easily--it's just how my body is, and always has been.
  • MissMizzy
    Options

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I figured there must be something wrong because everyone I knew kept telling me to try biking :P
  • KatrionaDeLacy
    KatrionaDeLacy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Stay far, far away from squats, lunges, bike work or running.

Water stuff is great. I tried a vid called 'power yoga mind and body' and do what I can. Pushing through pain while exercising only damages the joint more. Don't use it as an excuse to skimp on exercises but if it hurts lighten up on it. Try Pilates too. Yoga and Pilates are all about long, lean muscles. Just do the best you can and ask instructors for workarounds for painful joints.

It sounds silly for someone young but try some workouts designed for the elderly. Joel Harper has some vids like 'firming after 50'. The elderly often have joint issues and this could offer you some alternates or workarounds.

Eta I have no cartilage in my right knee and my ortho advised avoiding bikes for my injury. That is why it might help to consult a doc.
  • MissMizzy
    Options
    It sounds silly for someone young but try some workouts designed for the elderly. Joel Harper has some vids like 'firming after 50'. The elderly often have joint issues and this could offer you some alternates or workarounds.

I always joke that I have the knees of a 75 year old man...*sigh*. That's a good suggestion though, thanks :)
  • KatrionaDeLacy
    KatrionaDeLacy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 and I use it ;-) If that makes you feel better. My knee has been bad since I was a teen. It just means we had more fun.
  • veni84
    veni84 Posts: 29
    Options
    i had knee surgery 2 years ago to keep it from dislocating and the physical therapy things i did that helped my knee get stronger were elliptical, tredmil, bike and pool. You want all your leg muscles to get strong because thats whats holding your knee in place. Just take it slow and be very careful.