Getting rid of semi permanent hair dye?

Options
LittleMissAlx
LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
I know this isn't a fitness question but....

I've got naturally dark blonde hair, but I dyed it with semi permanent red just before Halloween. Despite washing it at least the 28times it said on the packet (I wash my hair after the gym every day, and it's about 6weeks since I dyed it), it's still really red! I'm getting bored of it now colour wise, and my roots are starting to show, so I'd really like to just be my normal colour again soon. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the colour to wash out quicker? Thanks x

Replies

• lougru
    lougru Posts: 55
    Options
    im pretty sure semi permanent doesnt ever just 'wash out' and it was red hair dye which is notoriously hard to get out of your hair.
    I had postbox red in my hair and the only way to get rid of it was to dye my hair dark brown to cover it. Failing that, i think your just gonna have to wait for it to grow out :(
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Try head and shoulders or voseen shampoo...both are known to strip colour faster than other shampoos. The other one that I KNOW works is borax, mix it in your shampoo and lather up....will strip it pretty quickly. Nothing works as well as professional colour strippers but you should get a good reduction.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have made that mistake many times through the years. Try washing your hair with Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. Do this a couple of times. It has helped dull my color before.

Also, you can buy a product called 'drapper'. It can help tone it down.

But, your best bet is to consult a hair stylist. Even a phone call to a salon may give you some good pointers. Good luck.
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm a hairdresser... and yes even though it says it will wash out, there is a reason why it is called semi PERMANENT... doesn't ever come completely out. What you can do however is go to a beauty supply store and ask for semi-permanent color remover and just follow the instructions... it's pretty easy and will take most of it out.
    The other thing you can try is to mix some hydrogen peroxide and shampoo... lather it into your hair and let it sit for about 10 min and then rinse it out and condition it. That will remove some of it too.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    After trying all the ideas that are going to dry out your hair.... your best healthy hair bet is just to cover it until it fades. Nice & Easy has a great temporary wash in wash out product with lots of conditioners. Pick a light to medium ash blonde color to tone down the red..... this will wash out in 28 shampoos.... Good Luck~
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Wow, what brand did you use? I can NEVER get red colour to stay vibrant on my hair - it's usually all washed out looking within a month.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I used plain washing up liquid for pots on mine when I had a disaster with black semi-permanent...its worth a try but yu will need buckets of conditioner afterwards as it really strips all the natural oils from your hair and scalp.

martyxx
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    There's a few suggestions here, including lemon juice, vinegar and warm olive oil:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4795092_remove-semipermanent-hair-dye.html
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Wow, what brand did you use? I can NEVER get red colour to stay vibrant on my hair - it's usually all washed out looking within a month.

It was a Loreal one. Casting creme gloss in berry red. (http://www.boots.com/en/LOreal-casting-creme-gloss-berry-red_1179951/) It's definitely faded a bit, not quite as vibrant as it started, but I'm still very definitely red.

I guess I'll start with the simplest - wash it with strong anti dandruff shampoos for a few days, try some hot oil treatments, then work up. I found some colour removers but they all seemed to be for permanent dye, and I'm not sure if that's going to help because doesn't permanent dye actually go into the hair whilst semi permanent doesn't? And different active ingredients maybe?
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I dye my hair a new color every month, the week before I switch to a new color I use Head & Shoulders shampoo every day. It's really good at stripping out color.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have naturally bright golden blonde hair. While I have finally decided that I like my hair color, I did go through a phase in high school/college when I changed my hair color. In high school I usually went platinum blonde. I spent a lot of time in the sun and it wasn't a big change.
    My freshman year of college, I went to a deep burgundy red. I loved it but my brother was getting married at the end of summer and wanted me to have a reasonably natural hair color. So I decided to strip the color. All along, my mom had been doing my color. She has a beautician's license and worked in a salon to put my dad through graduate school. She knows what she's doing with color. She had been using semi-permanent dye for my hair. She wasn't in love with the red and didn't want to use permanent color (in hopes that I would come back to my senses). When it was time for the red to go, she got a professional color stripper and applied it. I came out with orange hair. She called it strawberry blonde, but it was orange with pale blonde roots.
    After the wedding I tried to add fire engine red tips to the orange and see if I could get it to look like fire. No dice. And I went back to the dorms for sophomore year a couple days later.
    I ended up going to a beauty supply store and bought the supplies to bleach my hair and then dye it blue. I kept it blue for most of the year until I had to start interviewing for internships. When I stripped the blue out it left my hair pale pink. My mom wouldn't touch it by then and sent me to a professional to cover it up,
    The moral of the story is you'll never get the red out without professional help. Even after I bleached my hair to the consistency of straw, I couldn't get rid of the red. Go to a good salon and tell the stylist that you want a color that will cover the red and still look good as your hair grows out.
  • lkidgell
    Options
    i used to color my hair red all the time. and ive always been told red is the hardest to put in and the fastest to fade. so im guessing where it is now is about the lightest its going to get. i got to sallys beauty supply and get an activator and a powder bleach. and then i also get the color i want. then you can go home and mix the activator with the bleach and do that all over. but make sure you dont leave it in too long and dont apply it to your natural roots. just on the color treated hair. after maybe 10 mins wipe some of it off and see if the color came out. if its looking ok then rinse it and let it dry and then use the same activator and mix it with your color and apply that all over. thats what you would have done in a salon but at an at home price. and its pretty inexpensive. i buy enough to last me about a years worth of coloring and it only costs me about $45. so you can get the smaller ones for way cheaper. but if you do it make sure to ask for help on what you'll need.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm a hairdresser... and yes even though it says it will wash out, there is a reason why it is called semi PERMANENT... doesn't ever come completely out. What you can do however is go to a beauty supply store and ask for semi-permanent color remover and just follow the instructions... it's pretty easy and will take most of it out.
    The other thing you can try is to mix some hydrogen peroxide and shampoo... lather it into your hair and let it sit for about 10 min and then rinse it out and condition it. That will remove some of it too.
    My mother and aunt are both hairdressers this is what they told me to do when I wanted to strip color out of my hair. Its fairly easy to do and it took most of the color out.
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My mother and aunt are both hairdressers this is what they told me to do when I wanted to strip color out of my hair. Its fairly easy to do and it took most of the color out.

I am also a hairdresser and I second this
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Try Color Opps. My daughter wanted to go darker then absolutely hated it. We used Color Opps and it came right out. You can find it at a drug store or grocery store.
  • babykanguruh
    Options
    As a veteran of many hair disasters (mostly self induced :blushing: ) might I suggest heading to the salon? I know it's expensive, but you can't fix color with color, and even after using the other methods to remove most of it, you probably won't be happy until it's completely fixed. Good luck!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    swimming in a chlorinated pool always take the color out of my hair... I dye my hair all the time but I stopped trying to take previos colors out before I try new colors, I just wait till it is faded anought or I pick a color that wont turn brown when put over the previous color.. I have used hair color removers before but I was not happy with the results- it damaged my hiar more then bleaching it does! and it took out less color then bleaching does..but since I dont want to bleach my hair anymore...swimming and waiting are the way for me lol
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Go to Walgreens and pick up some Color Oops. I used it when my hair was dyed black and it worked beautifully. It is not a bleaching agent so it will not fry your hair, in face mine was in better shape when I got through with it.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    go see a stylist girl!