I need a grocery list !

Morning all

Im living with my parents so I usually eat whatever they cook, which is often not overly healthy. Im going shopping today for my own groceries -- I need a list! What are your must haves?

Replies

• Caylee320
    Caylee320 Posts: 56 Member
    My must haves are fat free cottage cheese, whole grain oats, 99% fat free ground turkey, Borden fat free sharp cheddar slices, Tyson Premium white chunk chicken (canned), and salad and spinach in a bag. Hope it helps, Happy shopping!
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Caylee has great items on her list, I would add:

Quaker 1 Minute Oatmeal (the Canister)
    Low Fat Yogurt (I like the Dannon Light and Fit)
    Apples
    Bananas
    Eggs (Hard Boil them- great protein snack)
    Frozen Steam Veggies
    Healthy Choice Frozen Steamer meals- they are pretty good and a great easy lunch.
  • mnec2010
    mnec2010 Posts: 132 Member
    Stupid question, but how do you eat the cottage cheese? isnt it like a yogurt consistency? do you just eat it like it is or add it to recipes, or what? lol
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    My must haves are the Breakstone Cottage Doubles, Egg Beaters, Light whole wheat bread, extra lean ground turkey and beef, low fat cheeses, fat free milk, light chocolate syrup, 100 calorie snack packs, 100 calorie guacamole packs, Bagel thins, and lots of hot sauce.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    low fat cream cheese
    hummous
    carrots
    spinach
    prawns
    tinned crab
    courgettes
    bagged salad
    turkey meat
    eggs
    chickpeas
    soup
    sparkling water
    green tea
    porridge
    cous cous wholewheat
    brown rice
    spinach pasta

This is just what I usually have, I can cook multiple things from all this.
    low fat cream cheese is the essence to anything I find.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Stupid question, but how do you eat the cottage cheese? isnt it like a yogurt consistency? do you just eat it like it is or add it to recipes, or what? lol

i like the snack pack cottage cheese, and i mix it with a chopped up avocado. it makes a kind of guacamole, and throw it in with some green leaf lettuce, some almond slivers, some grilled chicken, and craisns and you've got a great big dinner salad, no dressing needed.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    My "must haves" are Greek Yogurt, Horizon organic chocolate milk - individual cartons (for after workout), Arnold Sandwich thins, PB&Company peanut butter, and Luna bars (these are my 'easy to eat' go-to items for days when I don't have time to plan).
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    I hate cottage cheese unless it's cooked into something else. My must have are: string cheese, greek yogurt, bananas, chocolate milk (workout recovery drink), skim milk, lean ground beef (93/7), chicken, ground turkey breast, bananas, avocados, broccoli, and romaine lettuce (not in a bag - I dont' like the bag lettuce).
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Agree with Caylee & Ted. Those steam in the bag veggies are great; easy to fix and you've got to get the veggies in as part of your healthy regime. I also would include clementine oranges, baby carrots and greek yogurt (lots of calcium).
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    I would continue to eat what your parents cook, but only in smaller portions. Add more veggies and salads to what they prepare. And then buy some healthy snack foods. Protein and fruits.

The reason is twofold. One it saves you money from having to buy 100% of the food you are eating. Secondly you will be leading by example. If your parents diet is unhealthy, you will be showing them how to add some healthy options to their own diet.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member

It isn't smooth like yogurt. I think of it as teeny tiny mozzerella cheese bits because it's kind of chunky. It's really good and I like having it in the Cottage Doubles form because you also get a bit of something sweet to go along with it. You can either mix it together or eat them seperately. I've also heard that you can make a lower cal lasagna by subbing out the ricotta with cottage cheese or doing half and half.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Laughing cow cheese
    argula/spinach/veggies
    chobani
    low fat granola
    fruit
    brown rice
    oatmeal-pbutter
    flat out bread for pizzas
    low fat cheese
    tea
    grahm crackers
    100 cal snack packs
  • Mini Wheats
    Flax seeds
    Fat Free Yogurt
    Apples
    Bananas
    Berries
    Pears
    Baby Carrots
    Green Tea
    Melba Toast
    1% Cottage Cheese
    Tuna
    Fat Free Ranch Dressing
    Baby Spinach / Mixed Greens
    Chicken Breast
    Frozen Vegetables
    Whole Wheat Pasta
    Minute Rice (Brown)

Good Luck!
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 675 Member

I usually put some in a bowl or cup & eat as is.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 483 Member
    I would continue to eat what your parents cook, but only in smaller portions. Add more veggies and salads to what they prepare. And then buy some healthy snack foods. Protein and fruits.

The reason is twofold. One it saves you money from having to buy 100% of the food you are eating. Secondly you will be leading by example. If your parents diet is unhealthy, you will be showing them how to add some healthy options to their own diet.

I agree with this...buy enough additional veggie and salads and fruit to share with them, after all they're willing to share with you. Tell them you would like to contribute to the meals by bulking them up. Also offer to cook sometimes and make the whole meal healthy. This is a win-win situation. You can make a positive difference.
  • Caylee320
    Caylee320 Posts: 56 Member

I chop up a whole tomato and mix the cottage cheese and some black pepper - yum, and very filling.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    I always start in the produce section:

a few types of fruits (usually apples, bananas, oranges, and pears)
    the fixins for a salad (lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green onions).
    guacamole snack packs or a couple avocados.
    Sweet potatoes
    onions
    garlic

the prepackaged stuff:

Light mayo
    dijon mustard
    Low sodium ketchup
    reduced sodium Worcestershire sauce
    Hot sauce
    Low sodium soy sauce
    hoisin sauce
    honey
    natural peanut butter
    Cashews or mixed nuts
    popcorn
    whole grain crackers
    whole grain bread / 100 sandwich rolls
    Rice cakes
    brown rice
    couscous
    whole grain cereal
    oatmeal
    white and brown sugar
    whole wheat flour
    all purpose flour
    extra virgin olive oil
    Canola oil
    a couple types of vinegars
    Low sodium chicken broth
    Canned tuna
    No salt added canned corn
    no salt added /low sodium canned beans (garbanzo, black, pinto, white)
    Low sodium canned tomatoes (various cuts)
    Low sodium lunch meats (usually turkey)

Spices:

Salt
    Pepper
    paprika
    thyme
    basil
    parsley
    garlic powder
    onion powder

In the dairy section:

Lowfat/nonfat yogurt and greek yogurt
    Lowfat milk
    Eggs
    Reduced fat cheese (slices and shredded)
    Light sour cream (occasionally)
    lowfat buttermilk (occasionally)
    Unsalted butter
    smart balance margarine

In the meat section:

Chicken breasts
    lean ground turkey
    pork loin chops
    lean cuts of beef
    shrimp
    fish (usually salmon or trout)

In the frozen section:

Bags of frozen veggies
    Bags of frozen fruit

That's pretty much the gist of it. I cook a lot from scratch. With the above ingredients I can basically make up all my meals. Prepackaged foods are easier, but they come packed with a lot of added salt and fat that you don't need. It's a lot healthier to cook for yourself.
  • CharityEaton
    CharityEaton Posts: 499 Member
    Just a thought, the California Cuties, clementine oranges are fabulous this time of year! They are everywhere, they taste good, they are easy to peel, simple to add to anything or eat alone. They go great in salad, they are great on their own. you could put them in cottage cheese. These are my must have right now....that and fresh spinach, almonds, apples, grilled chicken strips(ready to heat and eat), oats, reduced fat cheese, and veggie burgers..oh and the Hungry Girl Fold-it flatouts.

I also, agree that you should help prepare meals and save some money. Lead by example.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    I'm still learning a bit myself, but my have on hand items are (besides pantry staples and the like):

Fresh fruit (bananas, apples, berries, ect to eat on their own or add to oatmeal or yogurt)
    Oatmeal
    Greek yogurt
    Peanut Butter
    Silk Almond Milk (I really like this for a "treat" though I still use cow milk for cooking/cereal/ect)
    Salad fixings (I make a big bowl of mixed greens and then use smaller containers for fixings so that everything is prepped)
    Low fat salad dressings (found an amazing Balsamic the other day)
    Decaffeinated teas (I drink 2-3 cups of hot tea a day)
    Hummus (great for a snack and for a sandwich spread)
    Nuts (I make a trail mix and also eat them plain)
    Popcorn
    Low fat cheese (to snack on... I love cheese)

I am sure there is more, but those are what I can think of right now!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member

I love to mix cottage cheese in with my salad and use a little balsamic vinegar or fat free italian dressing with it... it's really tasty!