Whole grain bread recipes wanted!

Options
rml_16
rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
I've been eating Arnold's Double Fiber Whole Wheat bread, which is fine, but I'd like to 1.) Save money and 2.) have something as close to natural as I can get. Arnold's close, but still has quite the long ingredients list.

So ... I want to make my own. But I want something COMPLETELY whole grain (no white flour involved) and with seeds and stuff and lots of taste. I found a couple whole wheat flax recipes online that I'm going to try, but I'd like a few more options if anyone has them.

Thanks!

Replies

• rml_16
    Options
    Bump.

Anyone? Bueller? Please?

I'll wash your car and clean your house if you just share. :-)
  • babykanguruh
    Options
    Oh oh, clean my house! Tried searching the net and found whole wheat, not whole grain: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-100-whole-wheat-bread-recipe You may have to do some experimenting and just adapt. Good luck! (please clean my house)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I like ezekial bread. It's packed with fiber and pretty tasty too - but, a lot of work:

Ingredients:
    2 1/2 cups wheat berries
    1 1/2 cups spelt flour
    1/2 cup barley
    1/2 cup millet
    1/4 cup dry green lentils
    2 tablespoons dry great Northern beans
    2 tablespoons dry kidney beans

2 tablespoons dried pinto beans
    4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45
    degrees C)
    1 cup honey
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
    2 tablespoons salt
    Directions:
    1. Measure the water, honey, olive oil, and yeast into a large bowl. Let sit for 3 to 5 minutes.
    2. Stir all of the grains and beans together until well mixed. Grind in a flour mill. Add fresh milled flour and salt to the yeast mixture; stir until well mixed, about 10 minutes. The dough will be like that of a batter bread. Pour dough into two greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
    3. Let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until dough has reached the top of the pan.
    4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until loaves are golden brown.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh, thanks. I actually found that one already. I'm more looking for recipes people have actually made themselves and can vouch for.

But I'll still clean your house. :-) When is another story, since I would probably have to travel a long distance to do it. lol
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thanks, Bee! I'll give it a shot.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I grind my own wheat and make my bread/rolls with this easy, one rise recipe:

2 1/2 c. hot tap water
    1/4 c. honey
    1/4 c. oil or butter
    5 c. flour
    2 Tbl. yeast
    3 Tbl lecithin and/or gluten (both optional)
    1 Tbl salt

Combine all but the salt and start to knead. Add the salt and additional flour (whole wheat or all-pupose) to make a good elastic dough. Knead 7-8 min by machine, 10 or so if by hand. Shape into loaves and/or rolls. Let rise 20-30 min until double. Bake at 375 - rolls 15 min, loaves 30 min.

I like the hard white wheat as opposed to the hard red wheat - same nutrition, nuttier flavor with the red.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Where do you find wheat to grind???
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You can buy ezekial bread. thats what i buy for $2.99 at Trader joes.. Its all Organic sprouted grains and really good for you.
    it works for me, alot better then spending alot of money to make your own.
  • rml_16
    Options
    You can buy ezekial bread. thats what i buy for $2.99 at Trader joes.. Its all Organic sprouted grains and really good for you.

I don't want to buy it. I want to make it. It is not cheaper to spend $3 on a loaf than to make your own.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    :smile:

I don't want to buy it. I want to make it. It is not cheaper to spend $3 on a loaf than to make your own.

WOW, ezekial at my hometown store is $5.00!!

Very interested in finding a good recipe also....I have a bread maker that is doing nothing but collecting dust!!

Please share if you find one, as I will do the same! Maybe I will experiment this weekend :smile:
  • rml_16
    Options
    :smile:

WOW, ezekial at my hometown store is $5.00!!

Very interested in finding a good recipe also....I have a bread maker that is doing nothing but collecting dust!!

Please share if you find one, as I will do the same! Maybe I will experiment this weekend :smile:

I found these in a Google search. I figure I can sub whole wheat for the one that calls for some white flour. It affects texture a bit, but still tastes yummy:

http://theidleloaf.wordpress.com/recipes/whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread/

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/whole_wheat_flax_bread.html

I haven't tried making them yet. I figure it will come out to about $1 or less per loaf, although buying the initial ingredients will cost a bit. I can get most of it in bulk, anyway, and make several loaves from my initial purchase.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I usually buy my wheat berries in bulk (50 lb.) from a local store that will get it for me for about $0.50/lb. Places like morethanalive.com sell it by the pound though if you want/need less. I think you can also get it on Amazon. Do some looking though to not be "robbed" on the shipping cost.
  • 1grammie
    1grammie Posts: 163
    Options
    Here is a whole wheat bread receipe I use:
    Step 1
    1 1/2 Tbsp. honey
    1/2 c. warm water
    2 pkg. yeast
    1 TBsp.salt
    8 tsp. wheat gluten
    Dissolve the above together.

Step 2:
    1/4 c. oil
    2 c. boiling water
    1/3 c. molasses
    Mix, stir and cool

Step 3:
    1 c. milk
    1 beaten egg
    Add to #2 mixture and then add all to 1st mixture

Add approximately 5 cups whole wheat flour. Let rise. Punch down, add enough flour to knead, knead until smooth, grease bowl, add dough and let rise again. Make into 2 large loaves. Let rise. Bake for 35 to 45 min. at 350 degrees.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!
  • rml_16
    Options
    I made this yesterday (by hand, no breadmaker): http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/oat-bran-health-bread/detail.aspx

I used all whole wheat instead of "bread flour." It's yummy!
  • Amerka
    Amerka Posts: 10
    Options
    Cornell Formula White Bread (Optional Wheat included)

1 1/2 cups warm water
    1 packages active dry yeast
    1 tablespoons honey or sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoons exrta vigrin olive oil
    3 cups unbleached flour or
    (1 1/2 cup flour & 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
    1/4 cup full-fat soy flour
    2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
    1 1/2 tablespoons wheat germ
    (Optional 1 Tblspoon oat bran or wheat bran)
    1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in honey, salt, and oil.

2. Combine flour with the soy flour, dry milk, and wheat germ; add to yeast mixture. Add more flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to make dough stuff enough to knead easily.

3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board. Knead about ten minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.

4. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to oil the top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place until double; about one hour. (I ues plastic wrap sprayed with olive oil to prevent sticking)

5. Punch dough down and turn onto lightly oiled board. Divide dough into equal portions and shape each into a loaf. Place in greased 8x4- inch pans. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until double; about one hour. (Sprayed plastic wrap to prevent stiking plus towel can absord Moisture from dough and creat a dry spot)

6. Preheat oven to 400. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

YIELD: 2 loaves or one tall one.

Source:
    The recipe originates from Dr. Clive Maine McCay who was a well known and somewhat controversial Cornell professor of Nutrition in the 1930s and 1940s.

A Cornell publication recently noted, "The recipe collection in Yeast Breads has a unique history. About ten years ago Mrs. Clive McCay urged the Division of Nutritional Sciences to write a cookbook featuring the Cornell Formula bread. She devoted many years to promoting the Cornell Formula bread developed by her husband, Dr. Clive M. McCay in the 1940s."

"The Cornell bread book: 54 recipes for nutritious loaves, rolls & coffee cakes," co-authored by Clive M. McCay and Jeanette B. McCay, may be found in the Cornell Library Catalogue.
    There are some other ways I make this. If you'd like I'll post them as well.