Lost my motivation!!

Options
Hey all

I have so far lost 25lb. (until today) I have recently had lots of NSV's and felt great but... Since the weekend I have really struggled. I am halfway through my loss and don't want to quit now but I'm finding it hard. Is it the weather, is it the constant cold and bad asthma I have? Or are they excuses???? :(

I have some amazing friends on MFP who have supported me all the way but I still find it hard. When I'm doing it I do it well but when I fall I seem to binge!!

Yes I'm kinda feeling sorry for myself, but I'm now stupidly 4lb up and devastated!

Kelly

Feel free to add me
X

Replies

• rochey1098
    Options
    I've been feeling the same and just put it down to winter blues crossed with a prolonged calorie deficit. With that in mind I've taken a week off from the diet, not going mental, just eating maintenance and trying to rest up. Today is the 5th day and I'm getting itchy, I think I'm going to start again tomorrow and get rid of the rest.

My advice, take a scheduled break from it all. You deserve it
  • leannmanderson
    Options
    I had lost 14 pounds, and I'm now 6 pounds back up, myself, so you're not the only one finding it hard!

I think having a bad cold and asthma can definitely bring you down. I've been suffering since September, and it REALLY makes you not want to exercise. So can cold weather. In my case, so can having a husband who is NOT supportive and keeps bringing home candy and ice cream instead of the boneless, skinless chicken breasts you sent him to the store for! He also likes to drag me to buffets, and he KNOWS I have no will power around buffets....

I'm so glad I'm not the only one having trouble, but I'm not giving up, yet! Look back at your habits over the past couple of weeks compared to the weeks before, when you were dropping. That's what I'm doing. It can really give you some insight into what changed about your habits.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Asthma and cold can definitely be deterrents. I've been dealing with asthma all my life and it sucks. I have a difficult time walking in to drastic temperature changes (from outside to warm room). There are valid concerns for having asthma. BUT it comes down to this: DO YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH? I've been struggling with weight issues for years. I lost the same 5-8 pounds over and over and over again only to gain it all back. I was never "really serious" about it until now. I'm not sure what clicked in my head this time, but I WANT it. I find a way to work around my obstacles. Can't workout outside in the cold? Join a gym - Planet Fitness is only $10/month. Or buy a kids jumprope and jump rope in your livingroom for a few minutes a day. You can buy thousands of exercise DVDs out there to throw in the DVD when you have a spare 30 minutes. You've found MFP to help you with the nutrition part of it. Food addiction is like any other addiction. But nobody can do it for you! I suggest you get cell phone numbers and start texting when you're feeling weak to get some added support. I would love to help support you. I hope this helps!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Are they excuses? Ultimately yes, but we all have various difficulties to over come and those should not be minimized. You have to rise to the occasion and get past those things... whether it be forcing yourself to do whatever it is you don't want to do, finding some other way to workout, or some other healthy meal if you're tired of chicken... .whatever the case may be.

They are only excuses if you use them to quit. If you use them as tools to change things up and find new ways to succeed, then they are triumphs.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself, forgive yourself and move forward!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Are they excuses? Ultimately yes, but we all have various difficulties to over come and those should not be minimized. You have to rise to the occasion and get past those things... whether it be forcing yourself to do whatever it is you don't want to do, finding some other way to workout, or some other healthy meal if you're tired of chicken... .whatever the case may be.

They are only excuses if you use them to quit. If you use them as tools to change things up and find new ways to succeed, then they are triumphs.

Love this!!!
  • MaggieINC
    Options
    Don't give up. Getting healthy is a gift to yourself. I felt like giving up after last night's dinner, but realized this morning is a brand new day. Just take one day at a time....one hour at a time. Keep telling yourself how good you feel and look. Picture yourself in a bikini this summer :smile:
  • gilleyce
    Options
    I am the same way between teaching and family, I would rather relax instead of working out. My husband is starting to support me more. And we just started getting fruits and veggies from a co-op bountiful baskets so now we have more fruit and veggies options in the house which is helping. Just take it as a new day and start over :wink: . Your doing great, eveyone has a hump to get over once in a while. :happy:
  • babykanguruh
    Options
    Great job on your weightloss, now go pamper yourself! Go to a spa if it's affordable, or even just go get a manicure or a hair trim. You will feel great for having done this, and hopefully it will motivate you again. Maybe ask a girlfriend to go get a manicure and go out for coffee afterwards. You've done great thus far, no worries, you can do it!
  • ARMom8251
    Options
    For those that have struggled with weight their entire lives its hard sometimes to find motivation when you have lost it, its easy to let ourselves feel sorry for us for allowing us to get back to the place we DON'T want to be, but you can't do that! You have to remember why you started this journey, pick yourself up, and move forward. Your life should be motivation enough....feeling good about yourself isn't always easy, but you have to keep your goals in your mind and just do it. Think about where you want to be, and get there....its hard, it isn't pretty, there is a lot of sweat and tears involved....but the end result is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Good luck!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    oh I am with you sister!
    I struggled the last two months, no motivation, wanted to eat hearty food, stressed about uni and just down in the dumps with the weather. Last Thursday, I had a good word with myself, had a cry drank some wine and got back on the wagon. I absorbed myself in success stories on MFP and the forums and you know what?
    It ain't easy but soooooo worth it. Just keep visualising where you want to be and take each day as it comes. Plan two three days in advance with your diary and remind yourself what you enjoyed about this journey. I love finding new recipes with what I've got in the fridge.
    We're all here every day and we're all in the same boat.
  • pace4me
    pace4me Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Read the made to crave book &grt online to read about the book there is also a 21 day challenge that's free if money is an issue. They have go to scripts when lacking motivation. One I have been using from the site and book is, "shallow desires produce shallow results.". Tis the season to think of health as our gift to ourselves. Good luck!
  • lingerlater
    Options
    Hey! I totally agree! I wish I could buy motivation in a jar! But I can't.

I think the bottom line is to be thankful. Always be thankful. When you wake up in the morning, say to yourself, "I'm thankful for today and for who I am. And I'm thankful for the great food I'm going to have today, healthy and feeding my body to become a healthier me!"

You can do it! There will always be reasons to quit. You have to find the reasons to keep going! Being thankful is key!
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm the saem way. When I do well, I do great. When I fall I binge like crazy. and I've gained 2lbs back. I also think it could be because I have my cycle but I'm hoping that's it and that I'll get back into the groove by the weekend when hopefully my 'friend' goes home. You got this! Just remember how you feel when you step on the scale and see a lower number!