exercises to take advantage of.

Options
I have no exercise equipment at the moment. My boyfriend and I have both just joined the site and are getting healthier. we started tracking our progress on May first after a recent surgery I have just had and have recovered from. My doctor told me I needed to lose fifty pounds before considering trying to have another baby and referred me to this site. What exercises are most effective for you? My boyfriend and I have tracked our calories and we started walking because where i live its an uphill and downhill place that goes in circles so the strenuous followed by a slight downhill is comforting for me since i am out of shape and just now startig to work on it. I have to be careful what I do with my stomach because of the recent recovery and i'm still kinda sore from the surgery but any exercises that i could do in the future that are beneficial? :) thank you

Replies

• kacyc1117
    kacyc1117 Posts: 31
    Options
    I have no exercise equipment at the moment. My boyfriend and I have both just joined the site and are getting healthier. we started tracking our progress on May first after a recent surgery I have just had and have recovered from. My doctor told me I needed to lose fifty pounds before considering trying to have another baby and referred me to this site. What exercises are most effective for you? My boyfriend and I have tracked our calories and we started walking because where i live its an uphill and downhill place that goes in circles so the strenuous followed by a slight downhill is comforting for me since i am out of shape and just now startig to work on it. I have to be careful what I do with my stomach because of the recent recovery and i'm still kinda sore from the surgery but any exercises that i could do in the future that are beneficial? :) thank you
  • chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Bicycling would probably be a great exercise for you since it wont put pressure on your abs and its great cardio!
  • fiddlechic
    fiddlechic Posts: 196
    Options
    walking is good and I'm on a cycling kick so I highly recommend it. just get lots of cardio-like 30-60 minutes a day. basically anything other than running would probably be ok.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Is there a pool available to you? If so, then anything in the water would be so much easier on your body. If not I would say walking.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    yoga. Getting a beginner level yoga video can really help with the first step of the life-style makeover.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful of the bike. It doesn't seem like it would hurt, but 3-4 weeks after I had my last c-section, I was itching to start exercising. I thought the exercise bike would be "safe," but my abs were sore for a week+. Walking's good.
  • joeysmuse
    joeysmuse Posts: 87
    Options
    just start with walking. I live in the same kind of area.... LOTS of hills. It's very rewarding just making it up those hills. We started walking to the enterance of our condos. It most certainly is not the easiest thing. It's a VERY steep hill and feels like it's straight up. The first week I lost 5 lbs. and started to have a peroid again. It was amazing what just a little work can do for you. Once to conquer that first big hill the next few seem like nothing. When we walk we do it so we are coming home down hill and it's a great cool down! Good luck on having another. We are working on #2 also.
  • kfeuvrel
    kfeuvrel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I vote for walking too, particularly post-surgical recovery. And especially if you haven't been on bike since you were 12, and 12 was a long time ago. :laugh:

I also recommend reading "You: The Owners Manual" because it gives you great guidance on starting an exercise program with the walking, and letting your body adjust to the new physical demands. Basically your muscle cells need to create more mitochondria to support more exercise, without it you just do what most people do: work out too much, get too sore the next day so they stop, and then wait another 2 days before working out again, getting too sore, repeat until you're completely frustrated....

Good luck to you, and just know that you can do this, and we are all rooting for you!
    Kathryn