running my first 5K Saturday

Options
Im super nervous/excited/anxious. I know I wont finish first. Which is fine by me. But I havent been able to run the 3.10 miles under 30 minutes yet. Is that bad? I guess I just wanna do as well as I can and push myself as far as I can and thats all I can do. Right.

Replies

• KristiMMM
    KristiMMM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Im super nervous/excited/anxious. I know I wont finish first. Which is fine by me. But I havent been able to run the 3.10 miles under 30 minutes yet. Is that bad? I guess I just wanna do as well as I can and push myself as far as I can and thats all I can do. Right.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristi--Good luck on the decision to run the 5K! It is definitely NOT bad to finish the 3.2 miles (5K=3.2 miles, but don't let that phase you :happy: ) in more than 30 minutes! Think of it this way-- three months ago, would you even have RUN a 5K, let alone have a goal to complete it? Even finishing it dead last in 3 hours is much better than to have never even tried and always wonder how you would have done. :happy:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a 10 minute mile! But beware, running races is an addictive habit! I know I'm hooked!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it, have fun, don't worry about your time. You can try to improve it next time. This time is all about enjoying it!!!!

Don't forget to come back and tell us about your victorious finish!

I have some tips: (not that you asked....:blushing: )

1. Wear your most comfortable shoes. You don't want a blister.
    2. Wear your hair so it won't bug you- I prefer two ponytails cause then it stays off my neck.
    3. Don't bring a sweatshirt- you'll get too hot.
    4. Nice, light carb/protein breakfast.
    5. Carb dinner the night before.
    6. Make yourself a new music list to get you excited!
    7. Have somebody waiting with camera to get the finish line shot:bigsmile:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options

Hey! I'm running my first 5K this Saturday too! And no, it's not a bad thing that you haven't finished in under 30 minutes yet. See if you can find the results from last year's race, that might help give you confidence. And remember that there are a lot of different kinds of people that show up for these types of races, you might not finish first, but you probably won't finish last either.

I know for me, my goal is to finish and run the whole thing. If I do that, then I will count it as a success!

Good Luck!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    a 5k is 3.1, a 10 k is 6.2.

My first race was over 30 min. My second one (a few years later) was 25 something. Just remember that your adrenaline will kick in and there will be so many people to push you a long. Good luck and just have fun. a 5k is a huge accomplishment - but watch out, you'll be hooked on races :bigsmile:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I would say that this will be your starting point - you can and will improve from here. Just the fact that you are running it is awesome!! Go girl. Plus, if you are close to 30 min, race day adrenaline may push you under a tad. I wasn't too sure about the adrenaline thing - but when I walked my 2 miles in the Montana Women's Run last year, I ran probably twice as long as I was normally able to just because of the adrenaline rush!

Have a blast, let us know how you do :drinker:
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    a 5k is 3.1, a 10 k is 6.2.

oops! :embarassed:

Sorry, my math is off (crazy day at work)--you're right. That danged metric system. However, if you do think it's 3.2 miles and train for 3.2 miles, then you'll be pleasantly surprised that you finished 0.1 mile early, right? Of course, this probably only happens once. :tongue:
  • KristiMMM
    Options
    thank you guys soooo much for the encouragment and advice. it helps out alot.
    I cannot wait to post the pics up of me red faced and drooling at the finish line (:
  • KristiMMM
    Options
    finished it in 29 min 7 seconds!!!!! pictures coming soon
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,926 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing your first 5K and coming in under your 30 minute goal! That's fantastic!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    finished it in 29 min 7 seconds!!!!! pictures coming soon

WOOOHOOO!!! That is excellent - good job!! Doesn't it feel fantastic?? :drinker:
  • KristiMMM
    Options
    it felt amazing!
    I cant wait to do another one ASAP.
    heres some pics

030.jpg

029.jpg
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I am running my first one in June! I am super scared! I am at that "mental" stage now where I dont believe I can run more than I am! You are totally inspiring me though. Thanks for posting the pics! I cant wait to have "that" photo!
  • KristiMMM
    Options
    you will do fine. I was amazed the first time I ran the 5k straight through on the treadmill. or even wheni ran 2 miles straight on the treadmill. You really do become so amazed at what your body can do that you never ever thought it could. At least I know I did. Youll do just fine. Youll have fun too! Good luck and make sure to take some finish line pics and post them up!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    good job!! :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Wow-- wonderful time-- congratulations!!!!!!!!!
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Great JOb!! running is fun and addivctive, you will also meet some very nice healthy people to start surrounding yourself with! Most cities have running groups if you want to get more involved. I find I need to sign up for races to keep motivated, it really helps.

Again, Great Job!!! :flowerforyou:
  • lovechocolate
    Options
    Fantastic achievement! Well done! :flowerforyou:

I am running my first 5k in July, the Race for Life in aid of Cancer Research UK. I am quite daunted by the thought of it!