Spring is here in more ways than one!! An Ice Cream Shoppe R

Options
Hemis_mom
Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
So I started on mfp in February and for the most part I have been really good with a few minor slip ups here and there--I was really excited about Spring coming because I live in Maine and it means finally I can get outside and not freeze to death and do some running ;-) I forgot however that with Spring comes the opening of the ICE CREAM SHOP it seems to me they are EVERYWHERE offering free cones on opening day and tempting me beyond anything I have faced so far. In fact I had a rough day today and thought okay I will have an ice cream sundae for supper that is it! 1200 calories later (because I had some fries too) I feel so ashamed.......I love ice cream in fact a big ritual of summer is going to the ice cream store a LOT In fact I used to walk or run there with my hubby we would get a treat and then walk back (about 3 miles total) I guess I was kidding myself that I was canceling my calories out by doing that (the ways we trick ourselves when we are overweight) ---It doesn't help that there are THREE SHOPS in my small town of 1200 people not counting neighboring towns!!! One I drive by EVERY DAY!! I know losing weight is about choices and this is probably one of the toughest life style changes for me (that fact that I have been three times in the last two weeks tells me my willpower on this is not very high) Does anyone have any good alternatives for healthy cold treats that would curb my ice cream binges but not leave me feeling like I am missing out on one of the best parts of summer (in my old life that is)==
I don't want to have to log in 1200 calories for one 'meal' again YIKES
So much of using this website is awareness who knew a little old hot fudge sundae could set you back so much I wished I had logged it before and not after--Luckily I didn't eat much the rest of the day either so I didn't blow it too bad....
Any suggestions or alternatives would be helpful.
I wish more ice cream places would serve frozen yogurt or even italian ice so I could indulge but not blow it---
Thanks for listening

Replies

• Hemis_mom
    Options
    So I started on mfp in February and for the most part I have been really good with a few minor slip ups here and there--I was really excited about Spring coming because I live in Maine and it means finally I can get outside and not freeze to death and do some running ;-) I forgot however that with Spring comes the opening of the ICE CREAM SHOP it seems to me they are EVERYWHERE offering free cones on opening day and tempting me beyond anything I have faced so far. In fact I had a rough day today and thought okay I will have an ice cream sundae for supper that is it! 1200 calories later (because I had some fries too) I feel so ashamed.......I love ice cream in fact a big ritual of summer is going to the ice cream store a LOT In fact I used to walk or run there with my hubby we would get a treat and then walk back (about 3 miles total) I guess I was kidding myself that I was canceling my calories out by doing that (the ways we trick ourselves when we are overweight) ---It doesn't help that there are THREE SHOPS in my small town of 1200 people not counting neighboring towns!!! One I drive by EVERY DAY!! I know losing weight is about choices and this is probably one of the toughest life style changes for me (that fact that I have been three times in the last two weeks tells me my willpower on this is not very high) Does anyone have any good alternatives for healthy cold treats that would curb my ice cream binges but not leave me feeling like I am missing out on one of the best parts of summer (in my old life that is)==
    I don't want to have to log in 1200 calories for one 'meal' again YIKES
    So much of using this website is awareness who knew a little old hot fudge sundae could set you back so much I wished I had logged it before and not after--Luckily I didn't eat much the rest of the day either so I didn't blow it too bad....
    Any suggestions or alternatives would be helpful.
    I wish more ice cream places would serve frozen yogurt or even italian ice so I could indulge but not blow it---
    Thanks for listening
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's disappointing when we have those "bad days" but I have found that it is important to make sure you still log what you ate even on those days. I have a friend who, whenever she has a bad day eating, simply doesn't log her calories that day b/c she's afraid of the number she'll see. Well needless to say, she's been doing this since January and hasn't lost anything. If anything she's gained.

Losing weight needs to be a new lifestyle, not just a diet that you do when you have the motivation.
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, Ice Cream is my major weakness!! I used to eat it every night, and a huge bowl of it too!! I am learning to eat it in moderation and to buy the frozen yogurt or low fat brands. Turkey Hill has some pretty good frozen yogurts that taste just like icecream.

or one of my favorite things to do is to make a smoothie, i use a little frozen yogurt, some skim milk and A LOT of fruit, so i think I am having a lot more icecream then i really am but its mostly fruit! I freeze fruit too so it makes the smoothie colder more like icecream. There are lots of things you can do with smoothies, I think there is a whole thread about them in the recipes section.

honestly, now that I have started seeing results of my hard work and eating healthy I dont want ice cream as often because I dont want to sabotage that, but if I do have it then I plan for it in advance.
  • monetcat2000
    Options
    Have I got some news for you! You can have your ice cream and lose weight too. I purchased some Edy's Slow Churned Rich and Creamy No Sugar Added Vanilla with 1/2 the fat. It has 1/3 fewer calories than regular ice cream. A 1/2 cup serving is 90 Calories. I use my cookie scoop which is much smaller than an ice cream scoop. Four cookie scoops is about 1/3 cup. Then I add about 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries. This works out to about 60 calories for the ice cream and 35 calories for the bluebe181865.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Countingrries. Now I don't feel like I'm depriving myself from my favorite food.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Last summer I went to Bruster's every week for a large extra thick vanilla shake. They are $5 a piece and that was my splurge. I almost stopped by today but I went to chickfila instead for a ice dream cone.:flowerforyou:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm. Well, I would say, go for frozen yogurt/low fat options at the smallest size, or maybe opt for a small soft-serve cone without the extra goodies (fudge/sprinkles, etc) - I heard somewhere that soft-serve is better for you than the other stuff. Got any TCBYs in town? :laugh:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Go for a smaller serving.
    Plan ahead for a bi-weekly treat (not daily!:grumble: ) or even less often - maybe as a reward for x miles or x calories burned in a week. Work for it.:wink:
    Figure out the calories, plan for them, exercise them off & go ahead.
    You can make it work. It's a life plan, not a diet.
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    well i have the same problem...i was eating icecream daily...even in winter....it is my hugest weakness bc it comforts me....and i am an emotional eater...

i buy cool whip free and spread it betwen 2 graham cracker halves...put it in the freezer...and viola...ice cream sandwich substitute

i also find that i love icecream bc of the cone...i always get it in a cone if possible...so i put 2 tablespoons(or one serving of cool whip free in it's frozen state) into a small ice cream cone...(you know the tiny cheap kind)... every night after dinner with either strawberries or bananas mixed in

i believe if you want real ice cream

...mixing fresh fruit in and using just a tiny bit of icecream is a great alternative...like only a fourth of a cup or half a cup with alot of fruit
  • Hemis_mom
    Options
    Thank you so much for the suggestions
    I need to look into Edy's sugar free ice cream that sounds like a great option
    I don't have a TCBY anywhere near me we used to have one but it went out of business I loved going there when I was a kid because it was a lower calorie option
    Thanks Again