Gold's Gym

Options
bonniejo
bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
I'm thinking about joining, mostly for the group fitness program and the student discount. Anyone have any opinions on Golds?

Replies

• bonniejo
    Options
    I'm thinking about joining, mostly for the group fitness program and the student discount. Anyone have any opinions on Golds?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Gold's to me has always been the more serious of the gyms that we have in our neighborhood. :happy:
  • diehard412
    diehard412 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    im a member at the Golds in Pittsburgh. they have TONS of fitness classes and all tyes of rooms for each class... its not Too serious.. the cardio and classrooms are upstairs and the free weight stuff is all down stairs . so if ur worried about being around the big loud people its perfect :) everytime im working out there are 5 to 6 different fitness classes going on.. but i think the gym is different in the area u are in..

For instance i dont know where in IL ur located but heres the gyms in ur area : )

GOLD'S GYM - SPRINGFIELD, IL - http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/index.php?gymID=826
    GOLD'S GYM- Peoria, IL - http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/index.php?gymID=815
    GOLD'S GYM-Morton, IL- http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/index.php?gymID=607
    GOLD'S GYM-Bloomington, IL - http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/index.php?gymID=903
    GOLD'S GYM-Champaign, IL - http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/index.php?gymID=89
    GOLD'S GYM- Bradley, IL- http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/index.php?gymID=57

hope this helps :)
  • bonniejo
    Options
    I'll be going home to Gurnee in a few weeks. Our Gold's looks pretty good, they have lots of classes, but I am just nervous about joining a real gym! :laugh: :blushing:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I'll be going home to Gurnee in a few weeks. Our Gold's looks pretty good, they have lots of classes, but I am just nervous about joining a real gym! :laugh: :blushing:

walk in there and check out the atmosphere-- Alot of people make the mistake of joining a gym and when they decide to go they get intimidated or they pull out on their contract because they don't like it- Because some gyms are loaded with fit people while others are mixed with fit and people trying to lose-

We have a gym here that is packed with meat heads lol basically everyone in there either competes or wants to compete-

and in my gym its mainly fit besides I will say a handful of people that are trying to lose weight one girl I knew is intimidated by my gym because she felt everyone was staring at her because she wasn't up to par-

I would say go check it out and if you like and are willing to commit then go for it- I love my gym I am addicted I workout with majority of men but it doesn't bother me
  • kfeuvrel
    kfeuvrel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love my Gold's Gym. I joined because we had a corporate membership, but then the company discontinued it, and I kept the membership going anyway because of the Centergy class that's Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates all rolled into one.

I mostly go at lunchtime, and everyone there is really focused on going, working out for an hour, and then getting back to work. So I've had to be more outgoing than I usually am in order to make friends - I have to make a comment or compliment, introduce myself, start up conversation, otherwise its a nod and smile, and back to sweating.

Talk to the manager, an instructor or two, they'll let you "try it out" for a few days before you commit, and you can get a free trainer session where they do your stats, and get a handle on your current fitness level.

And, the monthly payment is quite a motivator - because you don't want to be spending the money and NOT go to the gym.

Good luck!
    Kathryn
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Just don't let them do auto-pay through your checking account. When I cancelled my membership, I even sent the letter Certified, Return Signature - cost me $5.00 - and even though I got it there with three days to spare, they still deducted the $60 the next month! I had talked to the membership office beforehand and was told that would definitely be the best way to ensure the stopping of the deductions.

I've been trying for two months to have them refund, and no one will help me so my only recourseis to file a report with the Better Business Bureau.

Their "Trainer" also wouldn't return my calls or emails, so I missed two sessions and had to get a new "trainer". Be careful about "Trainers" too, but that's another topic.
    Then they kept $40 of mine I had put into my account to have available to buy drinks etc. They wouldn't refund my money, AND they hadn't told me it was non-refundable.

.They are the best equipped in the area. And by far (like double) the most expensive. Most gyms here are $20-30, Golds is $63.
  • bonniejo
    Options
    .They are the best equipped in the area. And by far (like double) the most expensive. Most gyms here are $20-30, Golds is $63.

Luckily with the student membership I'm only $34 a month, so I'm pretty happy with that. I think Gold's are individually owned (franchised) so those policies are (hopefully) different wherever you go. Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • greeneggsam
    greeneggsam Posts: 121
    Options
    I actually went to that exact one when I worked in the area. It's a big gym for people who are really into "the gym", you know, the guys grunting and ogling themselves in the mirror, making other people a little uncomfortable.

For me, it was a little bit intimidating. I always needed my headphones for "protection". On the other hand, I never took classes there so I can't speak to that. I'm sticking with my budget-friendly Fitness 19 for the time being!
  • bonniejo
    Options
    I actually went to that exact one when I worked in the area. It's a big gym for people who are really into "the gym", you know, the guys grunting and ogling themselves in the mirror, making other people a little uncomfortable.

For me, it was a little bit intimidating. I always needed my headphones for "protection". On the other hand, I never took classes there so I can't speak to that. I'm sticking with my budget-friendly Fitness 19 for the time being!

I don't know if they had this when you went, but there's a ladies only section now, which will be nice if I ever decide to use it! I'm getting really excited about going there now, so I can start fitness classes again (they were suspended for finals week).