Running problems

Options
Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some input on some problems I was having during my workout session today. I've gotten to the point where I can run a mile straight without a problem and if I push, I can make a mile and a quarter before I have to walk. My HR tends to get up to 180-range by the end of that, and for the duration of the workout session it tends to average in the high 150s to mid 160s, depending on what I'm doing.

Well today, I got about half a mile in and I thought, wow I'm really dragging here, what's the deal? I was just tired, I wasn't sore, I wasn't out of breath, I just didn't have the energy I usually do, and I was feeling kind of fuzzy-headed. My heart rate was also lower than it usually is - instead of 160-range on the elliptical, I was having a hard time keeping it in the 140's. Then when I went to do my round of post-workout stretching and calisthenics (pushups and ab stuff) I noticed that my face wasn't red like it normally was - I was a little pink in the cheeks but pale otherwise, and my lips were pale too, almost blueish.

Now I wondered if perhaps my diet could have been the cause (for more elucidation on that, see my blog), but I did make sure to eat this morning - I had a bowl of oatmeal and a container of yogurt for extra energy, since I was going to be working out. I'm wondering if it could be low blood pressure or something along those lines? Has anyone else had problems like this, or are there any ideas about what the problem could be? Thanks!

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some input on some problems I was having during my workout session today. I've gotten to the point where I can run a mile straight without a problem and if I push, I can make a mile and a quarter before I have to walk. My HR tends to get up to 180-range by the end of that, and for the duration of the workout session it tends to average in the high 150s to mid 160s, depending on what I'm doing.

Well today, I got about half a mile in and I thought, wow I'm really dragging here, what's the deal? I was just tired, I wasn't sore, I wasn't out of breath, I just didn't have the energy I usually do, and I was feeling kind of fuzzy-headed. My heart rate was also lower than it usually is - instead of 160-range on the elliptical, I was having a hard time keeping it in the 140's. Then when I went to do my round of post-workout stretching and calisthenics (pushups and ab stuff) I noticed that my face wasn't red like it normally was - I was a little pink in the cheeks but pale otherwise, and my lips were pale too, almost blueish.

Now I wondered if perhaps my diet could have been the cause (for more elucidation on that, see my blog), but I did make sure to eat this morning - I had a bowl of oatmeal and a container of yogurt for extra energy, since I was going to be working out. I'm wondering if it could be low blood pressure or something along those lines? Has anyone else had problems like this, or are there any ideas about what the problem could be? Thanks!
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that I have no idea, but it sounds like something you should talk to a dr about!
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure, but my guess would be that you didn't eat enough calories before your workout, and that you just ran out of fuel. you could experiment a little with it and see if it still happens when you eat more, but like kel9680 said, I think the best advice is that you should talk to your doctor! Good luck!
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    i agree with the others that you should see a doc, but I was wondering if your resting heartrate is elevated. I've read that if you have a hard time getting your HR up when exercising your hardest and your resting HR is elevated, it could be that you are getting burned out and need to take a couple of days off from your routine.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are feeling burned out you probably are. Were you running full tilt every day? If so I would say you need a break. Your heart is a muscle too and it needs a day of rest. I mix up my exercises, so I have a high HR day and then the next day not as high--I will run one day and then walk on an incline the next, I seem to get better response that way.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yes, see your doctor. It may be simply over-training, but I would be worried about the turning- blue thing. Maybe request a stress test, so they can evaluate you while you're working out. Maybe you're developing exercise-induced asthma?
  • nightangelstars
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses! To answer a few questions raised: I agree that I may simply not have eaten enough, and/or not allowed it proper time to be digested (I went out earlier in the day than I usually do, so I could be back in time to watch the Kentucky Derby).

Runnerdad: I actually asked my doctor about the exercise-induced asthma thing last summer, when I first began wanting to run, and she basically handed me an inhaler and said 'try it and see if it helps'. Turns out I was just woefully out of shape :blushing: . I like my family doctor but we live in a small town and I think she's a bit overwhelmed, she doesn't pay much attention to health/wellness types of questions - she's great with anything sickness-related though. I might try asking her about a stress-test, they'd probably do that at the hospital and she'd just have to refer me. Plus, I'd like to know just for my own edification.

Also I should probably have mentioned that I didn't work out yesterday at all, I wanted to take a rest-day because I did a strong and long workout on Thursday.

Thanks again, everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I read your blog and you said you went over your 1200 calories. If you're exercising, many, many, many people have had much better luck with losing weight and keeping up their energy by eating back at least enough exercise calories to equal a net of 1200 calories.

Example:
    You consume 1300 calories.
    You burn 200 calories.
    Your net calorie count is 1100.
    Eat back 100 and you're back at the magical 1200.

I don't know your stats to know what your BMR and everything is but if you're that tired, you might not be eating enough day in and day out, not just before your workout. Play with your food intake and if you don't feel better in a day or two, go see your Dr! Also, when I'm about to get really sick, I drag in my workouts. Your body might be screaming and it might be saying "STOP! I need some rest!!!" Listen to your body and your Dr and I hope you feel better!!!
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Some days your body is just exhausted and you don't even realize it.
    I have the same problem.
    Usually I run about 2 miles and my heart rate is between 175-185, then when I walk a half mile it gets down to like 155, then when I run again, it goes back up to around 180-5.
    Every now and then I'll just be dead tired barely able to move my legs to run and my heart will be puttering along at like 160-170. I just say, I'm tired today, I'll walk for a bit then go home and not think twice about it.

If something is tired, give it a break. That's just how I feel about things :flowerforyou:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    The only thing in this scenario that really puts up red flags for me is your HR. Honestly, there are those days that I go out for a run and it feels like wading through water... I'm just feeling sluggish and it's not fun. But the fact that your HR wasn't responding says that it's more than just a mental thing. I agree about a dr, or at least a health professional, maybe at your local YMCA...?

Water? How much water before? how long before? You might have simply been dehydrated.
  • nightangelstars
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just wanted to wrap this thread up by saying that I went back to the gym today to give it another go (because I'm stubborn like that) and it went great! In fact, I set a new personal record for myself - I ran a mile and a half straight without stopping. My HR peaked at 186 and seemed to be responding normally and I felt as good or better than normal. (The new personal best really helped there, ha!)

So, I'm figuring that yesterday was probably a combination of things that you guys all mentioned - not eating enough, having an off-day, needing more rest and/or being dehydrated (I was really sucking down the water actually, Pixiestick, so you might be onto something there). I'll keep an eye on it and if it happens again, I'll talk to my doctor about it.

Thanks again for all the great input, guys! :flowerforyou: