Losing Weight won't raise your...

Options
self-esteem. That's what I was always told. They said that low self-esteem needs to be dealt with a counselor or some mental-health professional.

Well...that's BS. I feel soooo much better about myself and my social life has flourished (although you probably can't tell by the amount of time I spend on this website).

This may not be true for everyone, but it's true for me. I have never felt better about myself, and where I used to loathe myself, I have learned to love myself regardless of the body I'm in. I've yet to reach the weight I so longed for and my body isn't as toned as I want it to be yet, but I don't mind. I love my body and I love myself. I've learned (FINALLY) that I deserve to be respected at whatever weight I am, and I deserve good relationships <3

Replies

• bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, ive suffered from low self esteem most of my life, and guess what, ive been overweight most of my life.

Id usually be shy, wouldnt say much, but since the start of this, (Started late August, down 40 pounds) i find that when people who have known me would give me those compliments, it would drive me even harder towards my goal.

Plus, since people would notice, and ask, genuinely interested on how i did this, i would be glad to tell them all i know-- when the topic of excercise, diet, fitness in general come up, i now have something to "break ice" with and that just leads to all sorts of other conversations i would have never been able to start before this.

Ive gotten everything from "Wow" to the reverse compliment "You're getting TOO skinny, Heroin skinny!" (no by medical standards im still overweight-- BMI 26.4 i still have work to do thank you very much) but... hey, at least people are talking ABOUT me, which never happened before.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I totally agree too! When I was a kid I always had thick legs and NEVER wore shorts. The last two years I've worked hard toward toning my legs and losing weight. On my last vacation I wore shorts every day! And I even wear them around town now. That's because I feel more confident and have more self-esteem about my appearance. Taking care of yourself, looking better and meeting a goal is a natural and healthy way to have high self-esteem. :wink: That is just one of many examples.... :laugh:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I feel a million times better. I think that's something (a lie) we tell ourselves while we're fat so we won't have to be accountable for staying that way.
  • MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Agreed!! I'm only 1/4 of the way to my goal weight and I feel fantastic..the changes in my body are unbeliveable!!! i can't wait to start at the gym next week and work my *kitten* off even harder and start lifting!!! YAY for this place!!
  • athenawho
    Options
    Has your self-esteem improved because you are thinner or is it because you feel you've accomplished something?

I had low self-esteem for a long time, I was depressed and tried to lose weight and failed.

I believe that if you don't love yourself, a smaller pant size isn't going to change that.

A lot of people who try to lose weight who are depressed see a failure and completely give up or push themselves beyond being healthy. Be happy you aren't like that!

...but if you love yourself enough to look past failures and praise your accomplishments then even better for you!

I think what people mean about "Losing weight won't raise your self-esteem" is more for those people who lose weight for all the wrong reasons.

Loving yourself isn't a wrong reason.