Cramping in my calf muscles! HELP

Options
I am a runner. Specifically intervals on the elliptical...

But my legs are cramping up something awful. I run through it until it gets so bad that I have to take a few day break and I can barely walk....I have up'd my water intake. And I have been stretching.

What gives? Anyone else have this issue? And does anyone know what I should do to solve it?!

I don't want to quit working out for 3-5 days at a time. I will lose motivation!!!

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    is it possible that you are low on potassium?
  • marnasworld
    marnasworld Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    magnesium potassium aspartate will get rid of cramps and shin splints
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This happens to a lot of runners, especially one who use minimalist shoes and run a lot. I eat plenty of potassium and still get calf cramps. Compression gear helps a bit, I would recommend that. After a long run I always use compression socks to help recovery. You may just need to be patient while your calfs strengthen. Icing can also be a big help after a run.
  • J3SSP3NNY
    Options
    This happens to a lot of runners, especially one who use minimalist shoes and run a lot. I eat plenty of potassium and still get calf cramps. Compression gear helps a bit, I would recommend that. After a long run I always use compression socks to help recovery. You may just need to be patient while your calfs strengthen. Icing can also be a big help after a run.

I could be low on those minerals and I will look into that.

I bought running shoes...They are Nike pegasus 28's. They're like a $90 shoe. Idk, I would hope that they aren't minimal?? lol
  • J3SSP3NNY
    Options

I could be low on those minerals and I will look into that.

I bought running shoes...They are Nike pegasus 28's. They're like a $90 shoe. Idk, I would hope that they aren't minimal?? lol
  • 1jeaniebeanie
    1jeaniebeanie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    More bananas!!! They helped me when that would happen during my pregnancies...
  • Egriffin1504
    Egriffin1504 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you a big soda or diet soda drinker? Soda will strip the calcium from your bones because calcium and acidity do not play well together. You could also be dehydrated, or have a potassium deficiency.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Sodium and Potassium to the rescue. Include light stretching (no need to be excessive) for the calves.