Fish Oil, Any information out there???

Options
I was recently told by my chiropractor that I should be taking a multivitamin and fish oil. Anyone out there with information about what kind or how much would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Walgreens has some decent ones at low price. I buy the green bottle (have no idea of the name right now, not at home) and take 2 giant capsules a day! I have only done this for a week but I have not had headaches this week AND i have not been hit with my usual depression :) hoping it keeps up that way.

ps. I have found that taking the pills with some sort of food helps reduce the 'fish burps' as folks call them. Sometimes fish oil can make you burp!
  • monainmn
    monainmn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It is nice to hear you are noticing some benefits in such a short amount of time!!!
  • NorCalMommy
    Options
    I agree with your chiropractor! I started taking fish oil when I was pregnant with my daughter because it is good for brain development. I continue to take it because it helps ward off depression and keeps my mental acuity sharp. I take 2,000 mg a day. Some dosages are higher. They do cause "fish burps" for a couple of hours after taking them, but it's no big deal. And a multivitamin is always a good idea. It doesn't compensate for poor diet, but it helps fill in the gaps :)
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Omega 3 the one listed below is what I take.

http://www.puritan.com/fish-oils-056/omega-3-fish-oil-1200-mg-013326#product

If it does not have this on the bottle do not buy it.. It would be like you really not getting what you think or a watered down version..

EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) ***
    DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) ***

I'm an old man there are several supplements I take, my hands per me and wife look 15 years younger than they use too.
    My friend and I or both the same age (55) we where looking at our hands no comparison I won the younger skin contest.

The other one I take is : ASTAXANTHIN 10mg read about it...
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I want to add a warning that fish oil MAY interact negatively with cancer drugs - so if you are being treated with certain cancer drugs, be aware that recent literature has shown a negative result.

Otherwise make sure it's high in omega-3 - or just eat more fish ;-)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Another warning.. if you're on any kind of blood thinning therapy, make sure you check with a doc first.
    Also, look for fish oil that is NOT made from the liver of the fish. These usually have large amount of vit A. You also get vit A from your multis and lots of veggies, etc and you don't want to overdo it as it can be toxic in large amounts.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    You can also take Flax Oil....Everyone should be taking EFA's.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I buy fish oil at costco (Kirkland Signature) and also I take Flaxseed oil, because both of them are important. Honestly, I did the research ages ago and don't remember the reasons, just that taking both are better than taking just one.

When I take my vitamins regularly, which include two multi-vitamins a day, 2000 mg of Vitamin C, 1000 mg of Niacin, slippery elm, and my oils, I am honestly a different person. So energetic, happy, easy-going...usually I have so much energy I feel like I just downed a quad shot of espresso. And I don't even drink coffee. Of course, working out probably has something to do with that, too.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I take the Omega 3 Lemon Flavored Carlson's Fish Oil(which has a wonderful taste considering what your drinking:tongue: ) and Centrum A to Zinc Multi vitamin. I believe it has helped with many things. I do not catch colds nearly as much as I use to. Everyone in my office has been sick and I use to be the first to catch the germs not this year I am still ticking. Definitely has had a positive influence on my immune system. I have just been making healthier choices all the way around this year so in conjuction it has been fabulous! You can read some reviews here from lots of users http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-The-Very-Finest-Fish-Oil-Lemon-Flavor-16-8-fl-oz-500-ml/2796?at=0
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I drink my fish oil and it is good! I've heard from other knowledgeable folks here that the number you're shooting for (DHA) is 1250mg.
  • maryd523
    Options
    I take the Omega 3 Lemon Flavored Carlson's Fish Oil and Centrum A to Zinc Multi vitamin. I believe it has helped with many things. I do not catch colds nearly as much as I use to. Everyone in my office has been sick and I use to be the first to catch the germs not this year I am still ticking. Definitely has had a positive influence on my immune system.

Oh yes, that's another thing! I haven't been sick in over 18 months!! *knocks frantically on wood*
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I buy fish oil at costco (Kirkland Signature) and also I take Flaxseed oil, because both of them are important. Honestly, I did the research ages ago and don't remember the reasons, just that taking both are better than taking just one.

When I take my vitamins regularly, which include two multi-vitamins a day, 2000 mg of Vitamin C, 1000 mg of Niacin, slippery elm, and my oils, I am honestly a different person. So energetic, happy, easy-going...usually I have so much energy I feel like I just downed a quad shot of espresso. And I don't even drink coffee. Of course, working out probably has something to do with that, too.

Agree...
    Vitamins need to be present in the body. Vitamin E is very important, it prevents rancidity of EFA's.
  • I switched from fish oil to flaxseed oil--fish oil really upset my digestive system. Flaxseed oil does not. I try to eat fish twice a week as well. And I use ground flaxseed meal in my smoothies. According to my doctor, the Omega-3 helps keep my lipids low. And my psychiatrist says it helps in treating depression as well.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    They make 'burp free' fish oil pills, which is what I take. My doctor wants me to take 4 capsules a day but there is no way. I barely remember to take one a day. I need to get better at it. I have severe heart disease in the family and the fish oil may greatly reduce the chances of me developing it.

The ones I try to take are 1000mg each.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    We take ether the Carlson liquid Fish oil (lemon or orange- I mix it with my protein drink) or the Vitacost version. Husband takes it straight. Just tastes like orange or lemon syrup, no fish taste. We take a higher "treatment" dose, have for a few years. Seen improvements in medical blood work, joint pain, stiffness, mood, and skin health.

Vitacost.come has good prices.

This allows us to get the higher dose we prefer, without taking a gazillion caps a day. Taking fish oil with food, usually eliminates burp issues.

Keep in mind, Flax oil does not contain any DHA. The body must convert it from the ALA in the flax (in Fish oil its already available) Many people cannot convert the ALA to DHA efficiently, due to genetics, age, heath issues. etc.

There is controversy over whether Flax alone is an effective method to obtain "therapeutic" levels of DHA. Some studies indicate yes, but others, say no. (therapeutic means, when you are actively taking it to treat a disease or issue, not just for general overall health)

So if you are treating a health concern with DHA, then Fish oil will probably be the better most bioavailable option. (NOT Cod Liver oil, which contains high levels of Vitamin A, and can be toxic when taken at higher levels needed to get "treatment" levels of DHA)

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/fish-oil-versus-flaxseed-oil/

Dose varies, depending on your personal needs. If taking flax, you will likely need to take more, to get the higher DHA levels needed. (flax has EPA, no DHA, and ALA. Fishoil has EPA, DHA, and ALA)

Info on what it can treat, and interactions. Also has suggested dose levels.

http://www.vitacost.com/health-library/assets/nutritional-supplement/fish-oil-and-cod-liver-oil-epa-and-dha/~default
  • fitnessmonthly
    fitnessmonthly Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My daughter who is 17 yrs battles with low mood/depression a highly intelligent girl but depression seems to take over her sometimes.She tried a few antidepressants but I 6 months ago made her read the book depression cure a truly good book and she started fish oil pills 1 capsule everyday.The brand nordic artic.
    Slowly her mood has improved and she is so much better. The results are not overnight but definetly she is better.
  • maryd523
    Options
    I've never once had a fishy burp, although I've heard about them. I always, always, always take my vitamins with food, so that is probably why. Just FYI.