Am I the only one who thinks diet soda is the root of all ev

Options
Yeah, I know that is harsh but I swear the more diet soda I drink the more I want to eat. I think I'm addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper. It is so yummy. The problem is I can't have it alone...I have to have it with food. Am I the only person like this?
I don't really want to stop drinking them I just want to learn how to control my urge to drink them 24/7. Today, I've done really well with drinking water but I have already had two sodas. Did I mention I'm floating.
Any advice or tips on how to calm my soda habit?

Replies

• oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking it. I have read a few studies that said drinking diet soda leads to weight gain! Google it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you will be told here that diet soda is ok ""in moderation"" and MAYBE thats true....you should try giving it up for 7 days....see how much better you feel, then decide
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well, obviously water is the much better option. Especially if the diet soda makes you crave more sweets/food. I still drink diet sodas occasionally, and they actually have the opposite effect on me. Make me feel full and burpy. But I don't think you'll find much either way on whether or not they're healthy/unhealthy for you. Just listen to your body. If it makes you crave other things, try going without. Maybe just cut out a couple cans a day at first, and just gradually decrease over time. Another tip is to try getting the little "mini" cans and substitute them for the larger ones. Diet Dr. Pepper is my second love, by the way.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Drink crystal light but with sparkling water? Idunno, I drink one cherry coke zero per day with a meal. They say that your body produces insulin to try and compensate for the spike in sugar but when that doesn't happen your body is like wtf where's my sugar. I think that is how it goes anyway.
  • waylonthornton
    waylonthornton Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Anytime I have a diet soda I always retain water weight for days. It never fails to sabotage my weight loss and set me back!
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I used to drink way too much soda period. I went through a phase of regular and then a phase of diet....it's hard but replace it with something like water with lemons, or raspberries. And if you are anything like me you have to FORCE yourself to not drink it for about a week. Then you might start to notice you don't want it nearly as often
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am a diet coke addict. But..I allow myself one 20oz diet coke a day..water the rest of the time. I dont drink coffee..so I need the caffeine fix. It also makes me feel full..not crave things. Hasnt affected me...to this date and Im 47lbs down. Eeveryone is different though:)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    every pound I've lost was soaked in Coke Zero. Saturated, really.

The calories you consume contribute to your weght loss or gain, and a no-calorie beverage cannot MAKE you eat more.

If you choose how to spend your calories wisely, you'll have success. If you overeat and blame it on diet coke (or anything else) you won't get there as easily.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Yup, people that overdo anything tend to view that as their nemesis, human nature. moderation, everything/anything is cool.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    But I don't think you'll find much either way on whether or not they're healthy/unhealthy for you.

actually there is a TON of information on this topic leaning towards the opinion that soda isnt a good choice
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Anytime I have a diet soda I always retain water weight for days. It never fails to sabotage my weight loss and set me back!

it has very little sodium, this doesn't make good scientific sense.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Odd because diet soda makes me pee like a race horse.

One diet soda a day isn't going to ruin your health.

But in general, I've been trying to subsitute diet sodas for water (with MiO). But I still have 1 diet soda a day. Or 1 per 2 days.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    been drinking diet soda without any impact on my weight loss. I don't have a problem with it making me crave sweets. I do not let myself have a diet soda before I've drank at least my 64 oz water for the day. If I am out, I order both soda and water. I drink the water first.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I used to drink nothing but Diet Mountain Dew. Over the last few weeks I have been drinking basically water. I will have a small amount of diet soda with my main meals, but one glass max at each. I've been going over my water needs almost every day. I have gotten to where I crave water. The only time I really want diet soda is when I haven't had much sleep. That's when I go for the soda and bad food. Try to cut out the soda. Diet soda does make you gain weight because somehow, I think I read this or been told this, it does make you crave food. It's something that's in it.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    If it effects you in that way then you should try to cut it out. With me I dont eat anymore when i drink it than I do when i dont. I stopped drinking diet sodas for 6 months once and didnt feel any better or diffrent than I did when i was drinking it.I also lost weight at the exact same pace i was.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not the only one. Plenty of folks here love to demonize it.

I dig it though. :happy:
  • shorter30
    Options
    been drinking diet soda without any impact on my weight loss. I don't have a problem with it making me crave sweets. I do not let myself have a diet soda before I've drank at least my 64 oz water for the day. If I am out, I order both soda and water. I drink the water first.

Oh, I love the idea of ordering both water and soda. You would think I could think of this on my own. LOL!
  • gregthegroove
    Options
    Ive lost almost 95 lbs and drink alot of diet soda. I try to really watch my food and I used to love regular soda, so I really dont think it evil. You know whats evil? A bacon double cheeseburger with french fries and a regular 32 oz Coke that has 500 calories in it.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking it. I have read a few studies that said drinking diet soda leads to weight gain! Google it.

They say that it leads to weight gain because it causes your body to want calories from something really sweet not just artificially sweet. But I also believe that we need to be more responsible with what we CHOOSE to put in our bodies. I drink at least 1 diet soda a day during the week and 2-4 on the weekends. I religiously log what I eat and don't eat something that will put me over calories. I'm finally for the first time in my life taking responsibility for what I CHOOSE to put in my body. I am not my cravings and if I do have cravings I usually figure out how to incorporate them into my day so that I don't go over.

If you can't do this and don't want to chance it then don't drink it. But it really doesn't matter if the diet soda can lead to weight gain because we feel like we want to eat more. Take responsibility for your CHOICES!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Ive lost almost 95 lbs and drink alot of diet soda. I try to really watch my food and I used to love regular soda, so I really dont think it evil. You know whats evil? A bacon double cheeseburger with french fries and a regular 32 oz Coke that has 500 calories in it.

No, that's not evil either. That's about an hour on the elliptical.

Food=fuel, not good/bad. Some foods are more calorically dense than others, but you can work it off!