Blood Pressure Advice

Options
So I've just come back from the doctors for my 6 monthly check up and the nurse was really happy with my weight loss (15 and 3/4 stone down to 13 and 3/4 stone) however my blood pressure is high...135 over 95 i think she said, though that doesn't mean anything to me.

She wants to see me again in 3 months to check it again...has anyone got any advice on how to get my blood pressure down?

Replies

• softwind
    softwind Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Exercise, cut down on salt
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Your doctor probably told you to limit sodium and stress. Cleveland Clinic, arguably the best cardiac care center in the U.S., recommends keeping sodium to less than 2000mg per day to reduce blood pressure.

Even thin people can get high blood pressure, and if it can't be controlled with diet and excercise alone your doctor may want you to start medication.
  • Terk1968
    Terk1968 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cut your Sodium. Try to cut back on processed foods, anything boxed or canned usually has a lot of Sodium. Fast food also has a lot of Sodium. Try to eat fresh foods. Try to drink mostly water and cut out the soda and sports drinks. I've cut my blood pressure from 128-90 to 116-68 by doing this.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    SPOT ON!

Also, I bought my own machine to monitor and track BP weekly.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    check out www.dashdiet.org

The DASH Diet Action Plan
    America's Best Diet
    The complete guide to lowering blood pressure and cholesterol-without medication-
    through a proven diet, exercise, and weight loss program!
  • rdunke
    rdunke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good advice above... Once/If you hit 140/ they will put you on meds.
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    Thanks guys...i've added sodium to my tracking list...is that the same thing as salt?
  • tmtolbert
    tmtolbert Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    if you take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar daily it will help bring down your blood pressure. both my husband and his sister do it and it definitely works!