One Year Ago, could have been my death anniversary....

Options
I did not have any plans to take this journey to become healthier and lose weight. I was fine, or so I thought. On December 7, 2010 I went to work as normal. By 9:30 I had excruciating pain in my left side. It was a kidney stone that was too big to pass on its own. I was scheduled for surgery December 9 (my youngest son’s Birthday). I weighed in at this time around 255 lbs.

This surgery would change my outlook on life, as when I woke up from surgery, I developed a fever and infection was suspected. This infection became sepsis, total blood stream infection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepsis) . My body began to shut down, my heart rate was all over the place, my blood pressure was as low as 45 / 31 at one point. I was told this was not a livable blood pressure. A rapid response team was called, including a Chaplin. They stabilized me and I then proceeded to spend the next 2 days in ICU and two more days in a regular room. It took me almost a month to start feeling like myself again. All the doctors have told me I am lucky to be alive and not have any organ damage from this ordeal.

This was all due to a kidney stone, which I probably caused by not drinking water and a poor diet. It could have been prevented, Instead I almost lost my life.

Once I started to feel healthy again, January 25, 2011 I began my lifestyle change by finding myfitnesspal. When i started I weighed 255lbs and wore a very tight size 18, now i wear a size 12! By the end of June, I had lost over 55 lbs and reached onederland! My lowest weight was achieved in August of 188.8 lbs. (66lbs lost). I maintained through November within a few pounds, but as my one year anniversary of what could have been my death passes, I am being honest that I have not been doing so well as of late. Exercising has been hard to do for a variety of reasons, but the main one is lack of motivation. Eating becoming horrible again, again for a variety of reasons, but the main one is a lack of will power. I have gained back 7 lbs from my lowest and I am determined that these will be the only ones I gain back and to get back at it! I have done this, I can do this, so why do I let myself succumbed to the temptations and laziness.

I need to remember how far I have come and what I can achieve, but also give myself some recognition that I can fall down, as long as I get back up and keep going. I cannot let one fall be the end of this journey! I need to remember why I am doing this, for my health, to be there for my family, and to be a good role model for my boys......

a couple before picks, these were taken on Dec 4, 2010 at my son's birthday party
Before-1.jpg
Before2.jpg

and one from yesterday, one year anniversary of my kidney stone, size 12 top and skirt

IMAG0386.jpg

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    SOOOOOOOO happy for you and proud of you! You are AWESOME!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You are doing so great and yes, it's time to pick yourself up and get moving again. Great job, so far!!!
  • EReeves2
    EReeves2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Add me! I'd love to be a cheerleader for you!
  • KCharron20
    Options
    You look great. Please don't give up! You can do this, for your boys and for yourself.
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on how far you've come!

I've had some health issues as well and I know that losing the weight can help prevent those issues from returning. It is so hard to keep on track and stay motivated. This is my second attempt actually. One thing I tell myself is that if I can't seem tostick to it for myself, I need to take one look at my son and do it for him. I need to be here for him until I'm a ripe old age, so I need to take care of myself to do it!

Good Luck!
  • Genkaku
    Options
    That's an awesome transformation. You look amazing!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that you're doing well! Congrats on the weight loss, you look wonderful!
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING, Melissa - don't give up now. You have come way to far to backslide. If you need to, do what I did and maintain through the holidays instead of another stresser. Just don't fall off completely and if you do, pick yourself back up, brush yourself off, and keep going. What an accomplishment thus far!!!
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You're doing great Melissa! Time to get back on the wagon with me - my eating has been horrible lately too. We can do it! (((hugs)))
  • CynGetsThin
    Options
    amazing story. thanks so much for sharing. It's amazing the things we take for granted.
  • rickyd88
    rickyd88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You look amazing.

Your motivation is your children. Your motivation is good health. Your motivation is not being the person you were before - the person you were unhappy with.

Get back on the wagon. Be happy. Be healthy.
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Amazing! And I love the green outfit!. :)
  • melissa0001
    Options
    You look AMAZING, Melissa - don't give up now. You have come way to far to backslide. If you need to, do what I did and maintain through the holidays instead of another stresser. Just don't fall off completely and if you do, pick yourself back up, brush yourself off, and keep going. What an accomplishment thus far!!!

I have been thinking i was maintaining from aug-onwards because it is a stressful and busy time for me....hoever the last month or so, i have just thrown things out the window. Maintain through christmas then back to it, but in order to maintain i need to workout again!
  • melissa0001
    Options
    You're doing great Melissa! Time to get back on the wagon with me - my eating has been horrible lately too. We can do it! (((hugs)))

We can do it Jodi! glad to see i am not alone
  • melissa0001
    Options
    Amazing! And I love the green outfit!. :)

Thanks!
  • melissa0001
    Options
    You look amazing.

Your motivation is your children. Your motivation is good health. Your motivation is not being the person you were before - the person you were unhappy with.

Get back on the wagon. Be happy. Be healthy.

Thanks! I keep telling myself this, i do not want to leave my kids without a mom!
  • angelfish2222
    Options
    That's a pretty scary experience to go through, but look at what you've achieved because of it! It's fabulous, and when you're lacking motivation, just think of your children and the amazing role-model you are being for them! Congratulations!
  • KarenPostmus
    Options
    You look stunning! What a big difference:) What about trying to get out for a walk once in a while, maybe change up your normal exercise routine to make it a bit exciting again? Keep it up, you can do it!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing! Congrats! Thank you for sharing your story with us! You can do this and you will do this!! Hang in there girl!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!